Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texaspirate11

Bundle up! Tonight will be bitter cold (December 18th-19)

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A
FREEZE WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM
CST MONDAY.

* EVENT...SUB FREEZING TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER
30S.

* TIMING...AROUND MIDNIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY MORNING HOURS.

* IMPACT...PROTECT THE 4 PS. PEOPLE...PETS...PLANTS AND PIPES.
FOLKS WITHOUT SUFFICIENT SHELTER OR HEAT SHOULD BE LOOKED
AFTER...PETS PLACED INSIDE...SENSITIVE VEGETATION COVERED OR
PLACED INDOORS...AND EXPOSED EXTERIOR WATER PIPES WRAPPED WITH
INSULATING MATERIAL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT OR
HIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE
VEGETATION.
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
Texaspirate11

I want to take this time to wish you and yours a most wonderful holiday season.
Thanks for taking the time to read this forum and helping spread the word on keeping safe & weather aware.
Here's to a cane-free 2017!

All the best
Texaspirate :D
Texaspirate11

The National Weather Service has issued a Hard Freeze Warning for Houston in effect from 7:00 p.m. Saturday to 10:00 a.m. Sunday.

Temperatures will quickly dip below freezing again tonight, and the duration of sub-freezing temperatures will be anywhere from 12-14 hours in Houston.

Because of the length of time we will be under freezing temperatures, the City recommends that residents take steps to protect their pipes and plants ahead of the arrival of the coldest temperatures.

When cold weather occurs, Houstonians should remember to protect the Four 'P's: People, Pets, Pipes, and Plants.

Protect the 4 "P"s

People
•Dress in warm, layered clothing, including gloves, a coat, and a hat when you are outside.
•Never leave children or the elderly in vehicles during cold weather; vehicles can act as refrigerators and expose anyone inside to sub-freezing temperatures.
•Never use a generator, grill, camp-stove, or any gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning device to heat your home (or any enclosed area). These devices can generate carbon monoxide, which can't be seen or smelled, but is deadly. (Check out these heating safety tips from the Houston Fire Department)

Pets
•Protect your pets by ensuring that they have a warm, safe place to sleep. The best place for a pet to sleep is in a heated environment.
•Do not shave your dog down to the skin in winter, as a longer coat will provide more warmth.
•Never leave your animal in a car during cold weather. Cars can act as refrigerators in the winter, holding in the cold and causing animals to freeze to death.

For more cold-weather tips for pets, visit the page in the following link from the ASPCA: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-care- ... -tips.aspx

Pipes
•While generally, pipes don't freeze until temperatures hit the mid 20s, its important to make sure you're prepared and have proper insulation ready to go.
•During cold weather, pipes may freeze and rupture, causing water leaks and damage to your home. Protect your home by opening the cabinets under kitchen and bathroom sinks to allow air from your home's heater to warm the pipes under the sink. Let faucets drip - as moving water freezes more slowly than still water.
•Insulate outdoor faucets and pipes with insulation or newspaper, and be sure to disconnect and drain hoses from outdoor spigots.

Plants
•Protect plants from freezing by covering them with plant-cover fabric, or a light blanket with plastic sheeting on top of it.
•Be sure to group potted plants together, and near the edge of a building. Remember that soil in containers can get just as cold as the air temperature, and cause the roots to freeze, even if the above-surface leafs survive.

Maintaining Proper Heating and Hot Water in Buildings

The Public Works & Engineering Department (PW&E), which is responsible for multi-family building inspections, reminds landlords and property owners about the basic requirements for heating and hot water supply to their properties.

Landlords are obligated to maintain their rental properties to the minimum standards set by the City of Houston Code of Ordinances (Sec. 10-363). Heating equipment must be able to maintain a minimum inside temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit (measured three feet above the floor) when it is 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

In each non-vacant dwelling unit and congregate living facility, provide and maintain in good operating condition a device to supply hot water at a minimum temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

To report suspected violations, call 3-1-1 (713.837.0311).

Homeless Outreach

Various agencies, including the Houston Police Department (HPD) Homeless Outreach Team, will be checking in with the local homeless population in an effort to help them stay safe and warm. They also work with homeless individuals to connect them with shelters and other available services.

Houston residents interested in helping the homeless population during periods of cold weather are encouraged to seek out a non-profit agency that routinely works with the homeless population and knows their needs to make a monetary, or in-kind donation (such as blankets, gloves, gently-worn coats).

The Houston Coalition for the Homeless maintains a list of agencies that provide direct services to people who are homeless. For more information visit homelesshouston.org.

Report Icing Conditions

Standing water may form ice overnight as temperatures drop. if ice forms on any City streets, sidewalks or bridges, please report it to Houston 311 by calling 3-1-1 (or 713.837.0311), through the Houston 311 Mobile App, or online at houston311.org. The Public Works & Engineering Department (PW&E) can dispatch crews to deploy chat rock or ice melt in those areas, if needed.

For updates on roadway conditions, visit houstontranstar.org.
Texaspirate11

For those that need shelter due to today's flooding

FIFTH WARD MULTI SERVICE CENTER
4014 MARKET STREET
Houston, Texas

Is OPEN - it is an accessible facility. Please share for those that may need this shelter.
Texaspirate11

WELL here we go again: Round 2 of Stormy Weather to kick off our week.
PLEASE be Weather Aware & Prepared as Houston and the surrounding area is up for another
FLASH FLOOD event - please LISTEN to what the National Weather Service advises & our local mets.
And, please TURN AROUND DONT DROWN...

Houston Residents Should Prepare in Advance of Severe Weather Monday. The City of Houston is monitoring the potential for severe weather, including the strong potential for Flash Flood Stormy Conditions beginning early Monday morning and lasting throughout the day.

Houston is under a Flash Flood Watch from 3:00am until 4:00pm Monday.

The National Weather Service says the Houston area might see heavy rainfall that can produce up to 3-5 inches of rain over the area, with some areas receiving rates of 1-3 inches per hour. If these rain rates occur, we will likely see flash flooding throughout the area.

What Should I Do?

•Be prepared to stay in place if dangerous flooding occurs in your area. This means you may need to make alternate plans with your employer or child's school if you cannot safely travel.

•Communicate with your family ahead of time about what to do if you cannot get home at a normal time due to the heavy rain.

•If a FLASH FLOOD WARNING is issued for your area, seek higher ground and avoid travel until the warning expires.

•Avoid travel during periods of heavy rain. Rainfall can obscure your ability to see the road, leading to accidents, or causing you unknowingly to drive into areas of high water. Especially be aware of low-lying areas such as underpasses.

•If you become trapped in your car in rising water, immediately get out of your vehicle seek higher ground.

•Under no circumstances, attempt to cross into an area that has been closed by a barricade or public safety vehicles. These areas are closed due to dangerous conditions on the roadway.
Texaspirate11

Wednesday March 29th

Greetings Friends
This has certainly been a stormy Spring and today (Wednesday) will be another round of Severe/Strong storms in the SE TX area.

Please turn on your NOAA wx radios if you have them (and you should)
Or your cell phones turned on to get alerts.
monitor the weather and please be aware and prepared.

Today, I had the pleasure of listening to different mets speak and I brought up the point that people who are blind NEED to know where the weather is going. I have heard many in the Blind community say when a met points to a map and says "The weather is coming HERE" it doesn't help those in the blind community. It must be exact, such as
"SE Tx will experience the following...." Or "In the Dallas area, we have...." To point and say "here' or "there" doesn't help.
Also with radio, being a bit more descriptive helps.

So the advocacy goes on and I hear ya when I meet you all at different weather workshops.
I believe we have the best mets around!

In any event, PLEASE stay on top of the storm watches and warnings.
Rain/Hail/Possible tornadoes .

This coming Sunday - April 2nd we also have another round of nasty weather coming in - this may come with
heavy rains...stay tuned - but YOU need to be alert.
Last edited by Texaspirate11 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texaspirate11

I know this doesn't have to do with weather and I hope the moderators are okay with this
But, it does have to do with advocacy.
I am proud to say that I have received the State of Texas Barbara Jordan award for Excellence in the Media.
To walk in the footsteps of one of Texas' greatest orator, a woman who gave a voice to the voiceless, is something
I never dreamed would happen to me.

I am grateful & blessed to receive this prestigious award and hope to live up to this great Texan.
djjordan

Awwww that's some great news!!!! Congratulations to you Texaspirate11!!! That is a huge honor!!! :) :) :)
~~~When Thunder Roars Go Indoors~~~
~~~Turn Around Don't Drown~~~
~~~Run From The Water, Hide From The Wind~~~
BlueJay

Congratulations Texaspirate11 and thank you for your hard work and effort!! You rock!
Texaspirate11

Thank you DJ and BlueJay appreciate it.

Hope everyone came thru Wednesdays storms okay.
Wow. It had everything - tornadoes (2) hail and flooded roads.

Lets turn our attention to this weekend when ANOTHER SEVERE WEATHER Situation may come our way.
That could be Sunday - April 2nd. This one may bring heavy rains/flooding. With our ground already saturated, it could be troublesome.

With a lot of events going on outdoors - Crawfish festivals, Bluebonnet hunting, music events
lets be a bit more weather aware about this potential incoming storm.

Stay aware and prepared!
Texaspirate11

Hello Everyone
Sorry for being absent for a while - but, life got in the way
We have been fortunate so far with our weather (knock wood).
But, now its time to turn an eye to the GOM and begin to think about Hurricane Preparedness 2017.

I know many have said to me "Gee, the big guns say its gonna be a quiet year - below average, and we haven't been
hit since 2008. And isn't it safe under an El Nino?"

Yes, I know. Its hard to rally the troops from doldrums and ennui and parroting whatever someone says.

But, let me remind you: It only takes one. AND that ONE can do mighty harm.
Like Hurricane Andrew in August of 1992. No other hurricane needed to appear that year with that wipeout
-OR-
the 1900 which came under a neutral El Nino.
Get my drift?

FOR THOSE WITH Accessibility and Functional Needs NOW is the time to do SOMETHING

1)If you don't have family/support group to get you out of an evacuation zone OR
YOU DEPEND ON ELECTRICITY TO SURVIVE - REGISTER with 211 (STEARS) or your local OEM and tell them
YOU need a way out.
You must register EVERY YEAR

2) YOU know your disability and needs better than anyone else. Including our wonderful mets.
Its YOUR responsibility to make a plan.

3) Find someone to help you plan. Find the time to have this talk with your family/support group.
24 hours before a storm hits is the wrong time. And this is where we can get into trouble.

The life you save will be your own.

FUN PLUG:
Our Big Hurricane Blow Out at George R Brown this year will be on Saturday, June 3rd from 10-2p.m.
Hall A "Extreme Weather Expo"
This is a FREE EVENT with HOT DOGS! Learn to plan for ALL WEATHER EVENTS.

Stop by my booth in the DEMO area and I'll help you help yourself!Lots of METS with be there and other guest stars....I hope to see YOU on Saturday June 3rd!
Texaspirate11

Saturday, May 20th GALVESTON will hold their Hurricane Fair 10 a.m.
Will I see you there?

Galveston Hurricane Preparedness Fair
McGuire Dent Recreation Center
2222 28th Street
Galveston, TX 77551
Texaspirate11

Today's Galveston Fair was really wonderful.
Kudos to our NWS and other partners who came together to make sure this vulnerable island was prepared.

I met SO MANY newcomers to the island who have NEVER experienced a hurricane and most came from the North. Most were retired/elderly who had no family or real support group on the island....

It is imperative if you are a newcomer to:

Familiarize yourself with weather terms
Understand what SURGE is
Make a plan on how you will evacuate and where you will go
Do NOT evacuate from one coastal city to another.
If you cant drive, register with the Galveston One Call Ride
Understand that you need to make copies of all your important papers and send them to someone outside the area
as you take the originals.
Take CASH as the ATM may be down for a while
Make sure your car is full throughout the summer
Get your medical supplies together and properly labeled for each person
Make sure you notify a person outside the area where you be staying.
If you evacuate with a pet, make sure you have Fido's supplies and up to date shot records

It was worrisome that most had no idea what to do or even knew what surge was.
BUT, I was grateful they showed up - and now are better prepared!
Texaspirate11

PLEASE join us at the Extreme Weather Expo at the
GEORGE R BROWN
Saturday June 3rd
Hall A
From 10-3

Tom Tynan, Radio Talkshow Host will broadcast LIVE at this event
If anyone knows how to prepare your home before a storm, he's the man
He's got lots of information & tips for you.

Come out to the DEMO table, where I will be there helping those that need to PLAN
for our upcoming season.

Free Hot Dogs! Cool Swag!
Its a Free Family Event!

For those who are Deaf - Red Cross will hold CPR with interpreters there
I pushed for this for the past couple of years.

Hope to see *YOU* there!
Texaspirate11

HAPPY FATHER DAY!
And look what Mother Nature may bring us!!!

I'm sure by now, you are aware of 93L the large system about to enter the Bay of Campeche this week.
Right now, it has a 90% chance of development and of course, the models are not in a Kumbaya mood
They are everywhere. From Mexico to NE Bama/Florida line. Today some of the models began to shift a bit
West - that would be our area of the GOM.

THIS is when you need to become weather aware. With the models in disarray, and large system
about to hit the hot BOC, you need to stay tuned to whatever weather information you have.
(Like this board!)

Some of the more consistent weather models do bring it west to the Texas Coast
Actually, anywhere from Mx-Tx/LA. This system could bring a lot of rain as it is large and slow.

PLEASE begin to monitor the weather beginning Today (Sunday-Monday-Tuesday) timeframe.
Although it could remain a Tropical Storm like system - they can bring copious amounts of rain.

Does your area flood?
Do you have a way out if flooding does occur?
Do you have supplies/meds to keep you safe until the storm leaves?

Start to think of your preparedness & readiness and monitor 93L

Thanks and be wx aware and prepared.
Texaspirate11

Some VERY wise words from our NWS about the upcoming potential storm in the GOM

If you cant read it here due to size, please go to their home page

http://www.weather.gov/hgx/

Basically, they seem to be as frustrated as we are in trying to figure out where this storm will go.
The models, as stated earlier, are out of sorts and haven't come to their kumbaya moment.

So what can YOU do this week as it gets into the Gulf of Mexico?

Monitor the weather
Go over your plans
Make sure you know your area and if it floods, etc
This has some informative information for you
Texaspirate11

6/19/2017

NHC might be posting watches soon along the Gulf Coast
Please begin to monitor the weather.
Hurricane Hunters are out this afternoon, and hopefully will bring us more news
about this impending storm.

Be weather aware & prepared.
Texaspirate11

The City of Houston Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is monitoring the potential for impacts from a potential Tropical cyclone over the next few days. Tropical Storms can bring heavy rain, flash flooding, strong winds, storm surges, and power outages.

The National Weather Service has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Harris County and the City of Houston.

This means we may see tropical storm conditions with winds of 39 to 73 mph to arrive in our area within the next 48 hours.

Although the exact track and intensity of this system is uncertain - it is important for Houston residents to pay close attention to changing conditions and begin preparations.

Steps to Take Now
• Have what you need: Ensure your family has at least 3 days worth of food, water and supplies. ◦ This includes enough prescription medication to get you through this period, in case pharmacies and doctors' offices are closed.
◦ If you have seniors, children, pets or other special circumstances, make sure their individual needs are met.
◦ Download a copy of the City's Disaster Preparedness Guide at houstonoem.org for a checklist of things you should have on hand.

• Know your level of risk. Tropical weather systems can bring heavy rain and strong winds. Check to see your area's risk of flooding by visiting the Harris County Flood Education Mapping Tool at harriscountyfemt.org.
• Plan to Communicate: Develop a family communication plan, so that you know who to check in with after a storm. Visit ready.gov for information on how to do this.
• Stay Aware: Monitor current conditions with the National Weather Service at weather.gov/houston, and the National Hurricane Center at hurricanes.gov. ◦ Also, purchase a battery-powered or hand-crank NOAA Weather Radio to stay informed, even when the power goes out.
◦ Sign up for CenterPoint Energy's Power Alert Service, and stay informed about power restoration in your area.

• Know Now: Know how to safely turn off your utilities, this includes electricity, water, and gas. Only turn off gas if instructed by local officials or CenterPoint Energy.
• Check on your Neighbors: Work with your neighbors ahead of time to plan for heavy rain and strong winds. Remember that neighborhoods that plan together recover faster.

Where to Get More Information

During these types of situations, rumors and misinformation can be everywhere. That's why it is important to seek out official information from trusted sources. This includes:
• City of Houston Emergency Information Center (houstonemergency.org)
• National Hurricane Center (hurricanes.gov)
• National Weather Service, Houston/Galveston Forecast Office (weather.gov/houston)
• Local Television and Radio
• Official City of Houston social media channels (for a full list, visit houstontx.gov/socialmedia)
Texaspirate11

Voluntary evacuation (BOLIVAR) for those that need medical assistance
Depend on electricity to breathe
Elderly and other Functional Needs

http://www.khou.com/weather/voluntary-e ... /450801266
Texaspirate11

Happy Summer Solstice!

Currently, TS Cindy is predicted to roll into Tx/La border
Although we are still under a Tropical Storm Warning, rains/tropical winds will affect
the most Eastern parts of our area (think Galveston/Chambers/Liberty/Jefferson Counties)
We may see some rain but nothing like NOLA and those in the Central Gulf States/NE FLA. have been seeing.

Continue to monitor the weather until TS Cindy has made landfall which should be sometime maybe
tonight or tomorrow - she's a slow mover....

Happy Summer!
  • Information