Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

This is from the Office of the Governor Rick Perry
Committee on People with Disabilities

Please share.

Preparing Makes Sense for People with Disabilities and Other Access and Functional Needs
A unique instructional video containing information specific to Americans with disabilities or other access and functional needs regarding emergency preparedness.

Video (captioned): Preparing Makes Sense for People with Disabilities and Other Access and Functional Needs (FEMA)
•VIDEO" http://www.fema.gov/medialibrary/media_records/7028
•Transcript http://www.fema.gov/medialibrary/media_ ... ripts/6509

Additional Resources:
•Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities (American Red Cross) http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_Cu ... _A4497.pdf
•Prepare For Emergencies Now: Information For People With Disabilities (Ready.gov) http://www.ready.gov/sites/default/file ... ties_1.pdf
rnmm

Such wonderful information here. Thank you Emmy for taking the time to put this together!! It's awesome!!!!!!
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
Texas Pirate

Thank you for taking the time to notice. ♥
Stormrider

Keep that good preparedness info coming! Thanks! :)
Texas Pirate

Thank you Stormrider. If you or anyone you know, knows people with disabilties, please direct them to this
little blog. Thank you.

Its been a long week and all our prayers have gone to LA/MS as they have taken a real beating
from Isaac. :?

I hope those with disabilities got out, especially of the low lying areas- they did have mandatory
evac. orders, but, like here, there were those who stayed and had to be rescued.
(I truly believe there should be a charge for that..but thats not what this forum is about)

Next topic will be: What will my plan look like? What we will create, will be good for ALL emergencies,
not just hurricane planning.
I started with EVACUATION due to Isaac and thought it a good example to use.

"Because you are disabled, you dont' have to be a victim" ™
Stormrider

Texas Pirate, I've been reading/hearing reports that several nuring homes have had to be evacuated in the midst of Isaac's land fall. I don't know the circumstances, but given the fact that the NHC warned of the storm surge and rainfall potential of a slow moving Isaac, should not the call to evacuate have been made sooner?
Texas Pirate

On Monday the 27th of August on this little blog I stated that those with disabilities in NOLA get the hell out of dodge.
Of course, I'm a little voice but I do know which way the wind blows.
Also stated on this site, I told people that if you support a loved one's decision to go in a nursing home/assisted living place, make sure YOU SEE the emergency plans that home has in place. Dont rely on "yeah we got one" (shuffle paper, shuffle paper) DEMAND to see it. Tell your Mom/Dad/family member what would happen in an emergency situation, if you yourself can't be there to get them. Work that plan with them so they understand.

Our nursing homes/assissted living centers fail our loved ones many times. No all, but I've run enough fires with the RC and the Ike aftermath to tell you, we aint up to code. I had not heard of the evacuation of the nursing home you question me about, but trust me, I am NOT surprised at all.

Getting back to your question: did I think the NHC made the right call?
Here's from a government official:
The floodwaters “were shockingly fast-rising, from what I understand from talking to people,” Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne said. “It caught everybody by surprise.” REALLY? Who failed in that communication to tell their citizens that no matter a TS or Cat 1 and living in a soup bowl, this couldn't happen?
NHC was ALL over this puppy. Yes, I know they were told to "hunker down" (GOD I HATE THAT WORD), but
the vulnerable are living in the fish bowl along with you and I. And even those who are non-disabled, who made a plan, needed to leave. LA/MS is a mess.

I know I am hearing many say "They should have called a cane sooner" (Even from our own beloved Dr. Neil Frank :D )
regardless, Gov. Jindahl began evaucations from the lower parishes when it was still a TS (Kudos, dude) although,
some didn't heed it - would those have heeded it had it been a cat 1? Remember there will always be Bubbas who feel
they have to protect their trucks than they end up tanking.....Pride and Ford Trucks goeth before a (water)fall.
NHC said over and over 'this is a rain maker...this is a rain maker....this is a rain maker" and if you live in the low lying areas,
"this is a rain maker" means you might end up swimming with the fishes. Jindahl and the low lying Parish leaders did evacuate as soon as possible, Mayor of NOLA told everyone to "shelter and place". Regardless, if you are vulnerable in a vulnerable landscape, GET OUT. Listen to what makes staying alive to YOU, count first and foremost.

Communication says lives. Heeding the warnings and being prepared will make the difference between leaving in time and staying alive and having only 90 minutes/panicking/and going into "survival mode" (as the dam story indicates)
Article : http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/30/us/weathe ... index.html

Hope this answered your questions, I know I prattle on but thanks for asking. I pray they are well if they were evacuated, and now safe.
rnmm

We have talked a lot about what to do before and during a storm. I have thought about this for a couple of days now and did some research and found these links I thought would be helpful AFTER the storm has passed, however some of them can be used before and during as well. If there is a list like this one already, please feel free to delete this post. I sit here and look at the devastation in Louisiana and it just overwhelms me. I hope someone, somewhere will find these links helpful. I know some of them may only pertain to a specific state or location, but it might give folks in other states an idea of where to start in their area.

Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs:

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/disaster-r ... /index.htm

JFS of Broward County:

http://www.jfsbroward.org/hurricane_support

United Way of Miami-Dade:

http://www.unitedwaymiami.org/WhatWeDo/ ... ahurricane

The Caribbean Disaster Emergency Agency:

http://www.weready.org/hurricane/index. ... 3&Itemid=3

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
Texas Pirate

Nicole - thank you. This is fantastic!
I appreciate you adding to this... :D
Texas Pirate

Well, last night the NHC issued its last statement on Isaac. Be gone.
The statements are over, but the clean up is just beginning.
Every hurricane has its own personality and brings with it, its own problems.
They show us, time and time again, the weaknesses & strengths within our infrastructures,
& our planning, both personally and for the population at large.
We plan for the worst, and hope for the best,as the saying goes.

What did we learn? Evacuations were given for low lying Parishes, some heeded, some didn't
and of course, they had to be rescued.

(Transportation for the disabled and disadvantage is something
that is being highlighted in many articles that I read on EP. Lookin for solutions)

NOLA sheltered and place and GOT THRU IT! YAY NOLA. Many of my friends there were prepared
for outages, etc. They are safe. NOLA was spared the "worst" of it.
MS was ravaged. Many didn't expect the rising waters to come up so fast. Really?
(Communication issues)

Another situation was that a dam was about to break and residents had literally 90 minutes
to leave. 90 minutes. Chilling huh? Could YOU do that? No one could have predictated that, but
as said, hurricanes bring their own issues.

Today, we will begin to get our plan together. Having an emergency plan isn't just for hurricanes, although here
on the coast it is foremost on our minds. Last summer, Texas suffered the worst fires in history, especially
for our friends in the hill country. An emergency is anything that DISRUPTS our "normal" living, they can come up quickly or give us warning (like canes) Tornadoes can whip up during a thunderstorm and in seconds destroy your "normal"living situation.
This is why we will start our plan today.

What I tell the community -regardless if you yourself are disabled, have a family/friend who is or work with people with disabilities..everyone needs a plan. Let's begin: Buy a safety box. This will be your new best friend. Place it where you could grab it in a moments notice. Emergency situations sometimes leave us in a panic, where we can't think straight, but this safety WILL think for you. Panicking is hazardous to your health. But we will be prepared to the best of our abilitie:

1) Make a copy of all important papers: SS cards, drivers licenses, insurance card, insurance for your home, passport, credit cards, medical information for you and your family. In case you lose any of the above information in a sudden situation or maybe even robbery, YOU have your information that you would need to INDENTIFY yourself/family member/friend. Remember emergencies arent' planned, but YOU gotta be. You can either stash the stuff in your SAFETY BOX (copy #1) and if you make 2 copies: send it to a person you trust (outside a flood zone perferably). My son has all my info. He lives up north in snowville.
And I dont think this needed to be said, but your ss card, insurance papers, passports, medical information should be in the box WITH your copies WHEN and IF you evacuate. Yeah I knew you knew that. :D

2) You could also WRITE your info down (or after you're finished put it all on a a USB) for you and your family. Its not hard. In an emergency, sometimes we forget our own names :lol: Pull out the sheet (each one for the family) and voila you dont have too worry. This is also in your safety box

On this sheet you will write/type/either place in safety box or put on usb and put THAT in the box:

Name/Address/City/Zip/Phone numbers/medical information/medical needs/allergies/dr information/YOUR NEEDS/
Vet info (if you have a service animal) and any other information you may want to put on your emergency information.
Again, if something were to happen, you have all the information. If something were to happen, someone ELSE may
have the information to help YOU/OTHERS through.

Storing MEDS: In your safety box you will have a box of ziplocs.
You will label each ziploc bag the name of the person and the meds.
Nothing like confusion if several members are on meds in the family and you cant tell who takes the green
or who takes the orange....You could prep this quite easily and in a cane situation, you would have a bit of time.
Do NOT throw all the meds into ONE box without proper labeling and information (how many times taken, etc etc)
Even if its on the script on the bottle - LABEL everything on the ziploc.

You will also have Refill Prescriptions in case you do evacuate and end up in Austin, San Antonio,Aunt Ruby's home.
Nowadays, doctors are very good at giving the script in the summer, ahead of any potential cane disaster.
I think Walgreens gives 90 days worth of meds...need to check that one out for y'all.

I named my safety box "Rita on the Run" :o ...anyone who lived through that understands and no need
to explain why I named the box, Rita.

I hope this helped.

If you have anything to ADD from your own experience OR just want to add, PLEASE DO SO.

"because you're disabled, you dont' have to be a victim."™
Texas Pirate

Okay, so I flip on CNN and lo and behold there is a story that I'm MORE than happy to share on this forum.

Placquemine Parish. Retired Marine Colonel and his wife who is a wheelchair user and in declining health.

So, whats your first thought (OR SHOULD BE) Yeah, they listened to the weather reports and HEEDED the
evacuation notice to GET THE HELL OUT. Right? I wish.
They stayed thinking they could "RIDE IT OUT". *sigh*
Isaac roared, the water soared. They HAD to get out. The man, makes it to his truck with his wife in the wheelchair.
And guess what.....(pausing for you to answer) THEY GOT STUCK.
Water began to rise. They called 911 (holding tongue ...not gonna say it) and of course 911 says
"Nothing we can do at this point, STAY IN YOUR TRUCK".

Hmmm. where is all that rushing water going to go? IN THE TRUCK? you say. "RIGHT>"
The retired Marine Colonel had to grab his wife and somehow SWIM to safety.
Hypothermia began to set it.

(This is called you're in survival mode...and could be Sh** out of luck)
He spies some dry land and anchors his wife.
He has to LEAVE HER to find help.

IS this making you sick yet? Made me want to puke. Sorry, it did.

Fortunately when he returned with help, she was still alive, and they got to safety.

Rob Marciano of CNN asked the Retired Marine Colonel
"What do you want to say?"
"Well" says the Marine Colonel "Other than I"m glad we are both here alive to say it. I SHOULD HAVE
LEFT BEFORE THE STORM".

badabing....Ya think?
No one to blame but poor planning (NO PLANNING) and bad decision making by this couple.
They got lucky.

Sigh.

I'll find the story to post it when its on the CNN website. Its a doozy.
And ONCE AGAIN:
"Because you're disabled, you DONT have to be a victim"™
Texas Pirate

Another sad story of victims. Elderly couple in need of assistance who wouldn't leave
Braithwaite, LA.
I think I"ve made my point.

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bes ... s.cnn.html
Texas Pirate

Its been a week since Isaac slowly roared through Lousiana/Mississippi
and is still wrecking havoc in the mid section of the country. (Good for the drought striken areas, if there
is an upside to any of this)

My friends in NOLA made it through and got their electricity back finally today - the 2nd of September.
Food was delivered to them, but frankly, they ran out of food and water - and they ARE people who
prepare.
There are still many who are without electricity outside of the NOLA area.

I did hear of some complaints from various people in the NOLA area, that the worst they did suffer was
lack of electricity- no A/C and running out of their food supply. They did have help in the form of
several organizations bringing food to neighborhoods, etc. Cant have enough peanut butter and jelly. Or water.
If you think you have too much, buy more and store.
30 hours of straight rain and winds. I hope those with disabilities that depend on
electricity had generators or went to shelters. I have heard only a smattering of complaints that
certain shelters were not accessible, but overall the news was good on that front.
There is one organization I am very familiar with that is already helping "special needs" shelters in MS.
And reaching out to individuals with disabilities around the MS area.
And FEMA is actually showing up ON TIME when they say they will. Dayum.... :D

Now, if you've been keeping up with the evacuations - they are still ongoing.
People still being put on busses to shelter and when the water recedes, electricity turned back on
and the "all clear" is sounded, they will come back. Anxious moments.
Its a distruption and the thought of not knowing if you will even have a home to come
too is foremost on everyone's mind. But their lives are saved.

Over and over again I heard "I didn't know it was gonna be this bad"
You don't. Rivers overflow and dams threaten to break... Every hurricane brings its own personality. Because you or your Uncle Bubba survived hurricane X
doesn't mean you can withstand hurricane Y. Nature doesn't run that way. But you should. Especially if you
live under the sea. Two blocks from Sponge Bob and your area will flood. NHC warned everyone 'THIS WILL BE A RAIN
MAKER" They nailed it when they said 20 inches of rain or more. Kudos.

For those that are alllowed back in their homes, or sheltered and place and still flooded, the clean up
process will take a while. Make sure to take it easy on yourself. If you feel overwhelmed, talk to someone.
Remember if you have kids, they need your time also and need to process this disruption!
Make sure you have lots of mosquito repellent - and first aid kit available
There is a list I believe on the first page of this blog on what you need for after the storm.
However here is some EMOTIONAL ADVICE to get you through.

Minimize this emotional and traumatic experience by being prepared, not scared and therefore you and your family will stay in control and survive a major hurricane.

SIGNS OF HURRICANE RELATED STRESS:

* Difficulty communicating thoughts.
* Difficulty sleeping.
* Difficulty maintaining balance in their lives.
* Low threshold of frustration.
* Increased use of drugs/alcohol.
* Limited attention span.
* Poor work performance.
* Headaches/stomach problems.
* Tunnel vision/muffled hearing.
* Colds or flu-like symptoms.
* Disorientation or confusion.
* Difficulty concentrating.
* Reluctance to leave home.
* Depression, sadness.
* Feelings of hopelessness.
* Mood-swings and easy bouts of crying.
* Overwhelming guilt and self-doubt.
* Fear of crowds, strangers, or being alone.

EASING HURRICANE RELATED STRESS:

* Talk with someone about your feelings - anger, sorrow, and other emotions - even though it may be difficult.
* Seek help from professional counselors who deal with post-disaster stress.
* Do not hold yourself responsible for the disastrous event or be frustrated because you feel you cannot help directly in the rescue work.
* Take steps to promote your own physical and emotional healing by healthy eating, rest, exercise, relaxation, and meditation.
* Maintain a normal family and daily routine, limiting demanding responsibilities on yourself and your family.
* Spend time with family and friends.
* Participate in memorials.
* Use existing support groups of family, friends, and religious institutions.
* Ensure you are ready for future events by restocking your disaster supplies kits and updating your family disaster plans.

I hope this helps. You WILL get through this.

"Because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

Here is a great website: Galveston County Office of Emergency Managment
Special Needs page:
Please book mark this or better yet, send this to someone you know who may need this.
It has great information from Fire Safety to Hurricanes...

http://www.gcoem.org/content/view/169/242/
Texas Pirate

THANK YOU UNOME!

Wonderful information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Texas Pirate

Sadly, there has been one death related to HEAT STROKE in NOLA.
With no electricity, temps rising and working the clean up - (YOU NEED TO GO EASY ON YOURSELVES)
and SHOULD buy a BATTERY OPERATED FAN (which is on the supplies list!)

But it doesn't take a hurricane to cause heat stroke! We are experiencing high temps here and
heat indices of 104-108 ourselves. PLEASE CHECK UP on the vulnerable in your neighborhood

Here are the symptoms of HEAT STROKE: (but hang in everyone: a cold front is ON ITS WAY this weekend!!!
Although I'm not a cold weather person, even I'm looking forward to this :D )

Warning signs of heat-related illness include fatigue, headache, dizziness, mental confusion, muscle cramps, rapid breathing, nausea and vomiting.

To help prevent heatstroke, avoid outside physical exertion during the hottest times of the day, usually between 2 and 5 p.m. If you must be outdoors, wear light, loose-fitting clothing, try to stay in a shaded area, hydrate with lots of water and avoid alcoholic and caffeinated beverages as they tend to cause dehydration.

If you have elderly neighbors or family members, check on them during the day for signs of heat-related illness. Make sure they have access to electric fans and, if necessary, transport them to an air-conditioned location.

(In the summer when we do experience weeks of very hot temps/heat indices of over 100, the City of Houston does open
Cooling Centers. You would call 311 for the nearest Cooling Center)

If you see someone showing signs of heat illness, get them to a cooler environment, moisten their skin with lukewarm water, fan them and call 911 immediately for assistance.

If you are outside this summer be vigilant about making sure you and those around you stay hydrated and get in the shade and rest often.

Hope this helps.

"Because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

September is National Preparedness Month

Wouldn't THIS be a great time to start your plan? if you don't have one
or go over it and tweak it? Perhaps help a family member who is disabled
or a loved one in an assisted living home????
Use ISAAC as an example to ask yourself: What would I have done?
Where would I have gone? Was I informed enough about the weather
and conditions of this storm? Was I aware of evacuations that were being called for????
If you use that as your example, it might help you plan if you dont have one, or
as stated, you can tweak it better....

How about:
Stock or restock your supplies?
Check the batteries in your fire alarm
(Remember the CITY OF HOUSTON is giving away FREE Fire Alarms for our deaf/hard of hearing community
this month - info is on this forum)

In between the waning last stranglehold of summer ( make sure you hydrate! Its HOT out there)
and the first taste of fall via pumpkin pie and all other delights the harvest brings....
CREATE THAT PLAN. Bring it to fruition ( I did not just say that....:-))

Remember - its not just for hurricane season.
we got winter coming up....

Seriously, if anyone TRULY needs help in creating a plan- PM me, I'll help.

September is National Preparedness Month - lets do it! :D

"because you're disabled, you dont have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

Some wonderful information/links I just received from our friends in Austin:

Please share and bookmark-

Office of the Governor Rick Perry
Committee on People with Disabilities

In celebration of September as National Preparedness Month, the Texas Disability Stakeholder Preparedness and Outreach Advisory Subcommittee has produced a series of “Texas Neighborhood Heroes” templates that can be used by local neighborhood and community organizations to help inform their community on preparedness. The Neighborhood Heroes templates cover Wildfires, Extreme Heat, Floods, Flu, Hurricanes and Tornados. We know in Texas that neighbors, friends and family are often the first responders in emergencies and disasters and it takes the Whole Community to address our challenges. Whole Community is a means by which residents, emergency management practitioners, organizational and community leaders, and government officials can collectively understand and assess the needs of their respective communities and determine the best ways to organize and strengthen their assets, capacities, and interests.

Be a “Texas Neighborhood Hero” and utilize the templates to help inform your local community.

Texas Neighborhood Heroes HURRICANES 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes EXTREME HEAT 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes WILDFIRES 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes TORNADOS 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes FLU 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes FLOODS 090412.doc

Hope all this information is helping.

"because you are disabled, you don't have to be a victim." ™ -> trademark
Texas Pirate

A plea for support:

If you are on FACEBOOK, I am asking everyone to go to this link
Chase Community Giving Campaign and vote for Dionysus Theatre.
We are THE only inclusion theater in TEXAS - dedicating our stage
to actors with disabilities and those who are non-disabled

We're MORE than just theater for the disability community
(Yes they learn how to EMPOWER and SAVE LIVES in emergencies too....)

We educate/entertain/enlighten/empower
The charity with the MOST votes WIN

Please help us continue our mission and message - Houston SHOULD be proud. :D
Thanks so much.

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunity ... 7eab63e85d

Hope everyone gets to enjoy our "cooler" weather. 88 degrees seems like a dream huh?
  • Information