Emergency Preparedness for People with Disabilities

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texas Pirate

Okay, so I flip on CNN and lo and behold there is a story that I'm MORE than happy to share on this forum.

Placquemine Parish. Retired Marine Colonel and his wife who is a wheelchair user and in declining health.

So, whats your first thought (OR SHOULD BE) Yeah, they listened to the weather reports and HEEDED the
evacuation notice to GET THE HELL OUT. Right? I wish.
They stayed thinking they could "RIDE IT OUT". *sigh*
Isaac roared, the water soared. They HAD to get out. The man, makes it to his truck with his wife in the wheelchair.
And guess what.....(pausing for you to answer) THEY GOT STUCK.
Water began to rise. They called 911 (holding tongue ...not gonna say it) and of course 911 says
"Nothing we can do at this point, STAY IN YOUR TRUCK".

Hmmm. where is all that rushing water going to go? IN THE TRUCK? you say. "RIGHT>"
The retired Marine Colonel had to grab his wife and somehow SWIM to safety.
Hypothermia began to set it.

(This is called you're in survival mode...and could be Sh** out of luck)
He spies some dry land and anchors his wife.
He has to LEAVE HER to find help.

IS this making you sick yet? Made me want to puke. Sorry, it did.

Fortunately when he returned with help, she was still alive, and they got to safety.

Rob Marciano of CNN asked the Retired Marine Colonel
"What do you want to say?"
"Well" says the Marine Colonel "Other than I"m glad we are both here alive to say it. I SHOULD HAVE
LEFT BEFORE THE STORM".

badabing....Ya think?
No one to blame but poor planning (NO PLANNING) and bad decision making by this couple.
They got lucky.

Sigh.

I'll find the story to post it when its on the CNN website. Its a doozy.
And ONCE AGAIN:
"Because you're disabled, you DONT have to be a victim"™
Texas Pirate

Another sad story of victims. Elderly couple in need of assistance who wouldn't leave
Braithwaite, LA.
I think I"ve made my point.

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bes ... s.cnn.html
Texas Pirate

Its been a week since Isaac slowly roared through Lousiana/Mississippi
and is still wrecking havoc in the mid section of the country. (Good for the drought striken areas, if there
is an upside to any of this)

My friends in NOLA made it through and got their electricity back finally today - the 2nd of September.
Food was delivered to them, but frankly, they ran out of food and water - and they ARE people who
prepare.
There are still many who are without electricity outside of the NOLA area.

I did hear of some complaints from various people in the NOLA area, that the worst they did suffer was
lack of electricity- no A/C and running out of their food supply. They did have help in the form of
several organizations bringing food to neighborhoods, etc. Cant have enough peanut butter and jelly. Or water.
If you think you have too much, buy more and store.
30 hours of straight rain and winds. I hope those with disabilities that depend on
electricity had generators or went to shelters. I have heard only a smattering of complaints that
certain shelters were not accessible, but overall the news was good on that front.
There is one organization I am very familiar with that is already helping "special needs" shelters in MS.
And reaching out to individuals with disabilities around the MS area.
And FEMA is actually showing up ON TIME when they say they will. Dayum.... :D

Now, if you've been keeping up with the evacuations - they are still ongoing.
People still being put on busses to shelter and when the water recedes, electricity turned back on
and the "all clear" is sounded, they will come back. Anxious moments.
Its a distruption and the thought of not knowing if you will even have a home to come
too is foremost on everyone's mind. But their lives are saved.

Over and over again I heard "I didn't know it was gonna be this bad"
You don't. Rivers overflow and dams threaten to break... Every hurricane brings its own personality. Because you or your Uncle Bubba survived hurricane X
doesn't mean you can withstand hurricane Y. Nature doesn't run that way. But you should. Especially if you
live under the sea. Two blocks from Sponge Bob and your area will flood. NHC warned everyone 'THIS WILL BE A RAIN
MAKER" They nailed it when they said 20 inches of rain or more. Kudos.

For those that are alllowed back in their homes, or sheltered and place and still flooded, the clean up
process will take a while. Make sure to take it easy on yourself. If you feel overwhelmed, talk to someone.
Remember if you have kids, they need your time also and need to process this disruption!
Make sure you have lots of mosquito repellent - and first aid kit available
There is a list I believe on the first page of this blog on what you need for after the storm.
However here is some EMOTIONAL ADVICE to get you through.

Minimize this emotional and traumatic experience by being prepared, not scared and therefore you and your family will stay in control and survive a major hurricane.

SIGNS OF HURRICANE RELATED STRESS:

* Difficulty communicating thoughts.
* Difficulty sleeping.
* Difficulty maintaining balance in their lives.
* Low threshold of frustration.
* Increased use of drugs/alcohol.
* Limited attention span.
* Poor work performance.
* Headaches/stomach problems.
* Tunnel vision/muffled hearing.
* Colds or flu-like symptoms.
* Disorientation or confusion.
* Difficulty concentrating.
* Reluctance to leave home.
* Depression, sadness.
* Feelings of hopelessness.
* Mood-swings and easy bouts of crying.
* Overwhelming guilt and self-doubt.
* Fear of crowds, strangers, or being alone.

EASING HURRICANE RELATED STRESS:

* Talk with someone about your feelings - anger, sorrow, and other emotions - even though it may be difficult.
* Seek help from professional counselors who deal with post-disaster stress.
* Do not hold yourself responsible for the disastrous event or be frustrated because you feel you cannot help directly in the rescue work.
* Take steps to promote your own physical and emotional healing by healthy eating, rest, exercise, relaxation, and meditation.
* Maintain a normal family and daily routine, limiting demanding responsibilities on yourself and your family.
* Spend time with family and friends.
* Participate in memorials.
* Use existing support groups of family, friends, and religious institutions.
* Ensure you are ready for future events by restocking your disaster supplies kits and updating your family disaster plans.

I hope this helps. You WILL get through this.

"Because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

Here is a great website: Galveston County Office of Emergency Managment
Special Needs page:
Please book mark this or better yet, send this to someone you know who may need this.
It has great information from Fire Safety to Hurricanes...

http://www.gcoem.org/content/view/169/242/
Texas Pirate

THANK YOU UNOME!

Wonderful information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Texas Pirate

Sadly, there has been one death related to HEAT STROKE in NOLA.
With no electricity, temps rising and working the clean up - (YOU NEED TO GO EASY ON YOURSELVES)
and SHOULD buy a BATTERY OPERATED FAN (which is on the supplies list!)

But it doesn't take a hurricane to cause heat stroke! We are experiencing high temps here and
heat indices of 104-108 ourselves. PLEASE CHECK UP on the vulnerable in your neighborhood

Here are the symptoms of HEAT STROKE: (but hang in everyone: a cold front is ON ITS WAY this weekend!!!
Although I'm not a cold weather person, even I'm looking forward to this :D )

Warning signs of heat-related illness include fatigue, headache, dizziness, mental confusion, muscle cramps, rapid breathing, nausea and vomiting.

To help prevent heatstroke, avoid outside physical exertion during the hottest times of the day, usually between 2 and 5 p.m. If you must be outdoors, wear light, loose-fitting clothing, try to stay in a shaded area, hydrate with lots of water and avoid alcoholic and caffeinated beverages as they tend to cause dehydration.

If you have elderly neighbors or family members, check on them during the day for signs of heat-related illness. Make sure they have access to electric fans and, if necessary, transport them to an air-conditioned location.

(In the summer when we do experience weeks of very hot temps/heat indices of over 100, the City of Houston does open
Cooling Centers. You would call 311 for the nearest Cooling Center)

If you see someone showing signs of heat illness, get them to a cooler environment, moisten their skin with lukewarm water, fan them and call 911 immediately for assistance.

If you are outside this summer be vigilant about making sure you and those around you stay hydrated and get in the shade and rest often.

Hope this helps.

"Because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

September is National Preparedness Month

Wouldn't THIS be a great time to start your plan? if you don't have one
or go over it and tweak it? Perhaps help a family member who is disabled
or a loved one in an assisted living home????
Use ISAAC as an example to ask yourself: What would I have done?
Where would I have gone? Was I informed enough about the weather
and conditions of this storm? Was I aware of evacuations that were being called for????
If you use that as your example, it might help you plan if you dont have one, or
as stated, you can tweak it better....

How about:
Stock or restock your supplies?
Check the batteries in your fire alarm
(Remember the CITY OF HOUSTON is giving away FREE Fire Alarms for our deaf/hard of hearing community
this month - info is on this forum)

In between the waning last stranglehold of summer ( make sure you hydrate! Its HOT out there)
and the first taste of fall via pumpkin pie and all other delights the harvest brings....
CREATE THAT PLAN. Bring it to fruition ( I did not just say that....:-))

Remember - its not just for hurricane season.
we got winter coming up....

Seriously, if anyone TRULY needs help in creating a plan- PM me, I'll help.

September is National Preparedness Month - lets do it! :D

"because you're disabled, you dont have to be a victim" ™
Texas Pirate

Some wonderful information/links I just received from our friends in Austin:

Please share and bookmark-

Office of the Governor Rick Perry
Committee on People with Disabilities

In celebration of September as National Preparedness Month, the Texas Disability Stakeholder Preparedness and Outreach Advisory Subcommittee has produced a series of “Texas Neighborhood Heroes” templates that can be used by local neighborhood and community organizations to help inform their community on preparedness. The Neighborhood Heroes templates cover Wildfires, Extreme Heat, Floods, Flu, Hurricanes and Tornados. We know in Texas that neighbors, friends and family are often the first responders in emergencies and disasters and it takes the Whole Community to address our challenges. Whole Community is a means by which residents, emergency management practitioners, organizational and community leaders, and government officials can collectively understand and assess the needs of their respective communities and determine the best ways to organize and strengthen their assets, capacities, and interests.

Be a “Texas Neighborhood Hero” and utilize the templates to help inform your local community.

Texas Neighborhood Heroes HURRICANES 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes EXTREME HEAT 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes WILDFIRES 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes TORNADOS 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes FLU 090412.doc
Texas Neighborhood Heroes FLOODS 090412.doc

Hope all this information is helping.

"because you are disabled, you don't have to be a victim." ™ -> trademark
Texas Pirate

A plea for support:

If you are on FACEBOOK, I am asking everyone to go to this link
Chase Community Giving Campaign and vote for Dionysus Theatre.
We are THE only inclusion theater in TEXAS - dedicating our stage
to actors with disabilities and those who are non-disabled

We're MORE than just theater for the disability community
(Yes they learn how to EMPOWER and SAVE LIVES in emergencies too....)

We educate/entertain/enlighten/empower
The charity with the MOST votes WIN

Please help us continue our mission and message - Houston SHOULD be proud. :D
Thanks so much.

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunity ... 7eab63e85d

Hope everyone gets to enjoy our "cooler" weather. 88 degrees seems like a dream huh?
Texas Pirate

Happy Sunday - well it's Fall cuz the start of the FOOTBALL season told me so :lol:
Although the temps are fabulous - hope you're enjoying this day. There's a whisper of rain
later on in the week, that would be lovely also.

This is an open forum, so please, if anyone has something to add, stories to tell,
ideas, comments, complaints...please do so.

I know there is a lot of information on here, but if there's something that I missed OR
you want to ADD please...have at it.

Thanks.
Texas Pirate

Harris County Citizens Corp

Some good information on here- please bookmark.

http://www.harriscountycitizencorps.com/
Texas Pirate

West Nile Virus has claimed the 52nd person in Texas.
Texas is the hardest hit state.

Those who have died have been older citizens also some with compromised systems.
PLEASE when you go out, use that insect repellent and if you have standing water such as in potted planters, around your area, dump it.

I hope y'all are enjoying some of this rain! (Although it does attract those pesky rotten 'squitos)
I got caught in a downpour yesterday around 45 and Monroe...should haven taken my sailboat to work!

Enjoy your weekend - GO TEXANS (and other teams we root for)

Stay safe!

Texas Pirate

Congrats to FEMA for graduating their first FEMA CORP class of future leaders (18-24) who will be trained to
care for people with disabilities. Congrats to Marcie Roth. She is rockin my world.

Although this is a wonderful step...*YOU* need to step up and make a plan yourself
YEAH, I'm talking to *YOU*....remember they may come in after a storm
you need to deal BEFORE/DURING.... :D

"because you're disabled, you dont have to be a victim"™
Texas Pirate

City of Houston - Dept. of Neighborhoods
Free legal services for persons with disabilities Sept. 20 and every 3rd Thurs of the month. Register by calling 281-936-0770!
Texas Pirate

Our Fall weather is certainly bringing us bountiful beautiful temps!

On October 26th, take your family to Wings Over Houston at Ellington Field
They have this day saved for people with disabilities and their family.
C'mon all you TOP GUNS...

YAY!

The Wings Over Houston Special Show for the Physically and Mentally Challenged will be Friday, October 26, 2012. This show is for those persons who, because of a lifetime physical or mental condition, would have difficulty attending the Saturday and Sunday shows. When requesting tickets, please use realistic numbers and limit your request to your challenged individuals, their immediate providers or chaperones, and transportation drivers. The tickets are valid for the Friday show only.

Organization Coordinators please note: Group names are specific according to location/address and are not a blanket specific by group names. Each group location must fill out their own ticket requests.

Ellington Airport is a secured area, therefore every guest, chaperone, and driver must have a show ticket and security identification sticker, and all vehicles are required to have a “Wings Over Houston“ vehicle pass visibly posted on the driver's side of the windshield. You must provide your own transportation.

TICKET REQUESTS

To save money and time, we are striving to e-mail all tickets and vehicle passes. We are requesting that, if at all possible, you register using our online registration form and thus receive your tickets and passes by e-mail. We have a limited amount of tickets so please send in your request right away.

Online Ticket Request Form

Click the below link and complete the form. When you click the Submit form button your information will be sent to us via e-mail. If you do not wish to send your information via the online registration form, then please complete the PDF form below. The deadline for online ticket requests that are to delivered by US Mail is October 12, 2012. The deadline for tickets delivered by e-mail is October 16, 2012. Submitting a ticket request does not guarantee your application acceptance — all applications must be approved by WOH Special Show staff.

Online Ticket Request Form

Link:
http://www.wingsoverhouston.com/woh_sstickets.htm

And I want to thank all y'all for visiting this page. I hope its been helpful....
Texas Pirate

IS ANYONE READING THIS?

Just asking. :o
Stormrider

I'm reading this, Texas Pirate. So glad you're a part of the Forum and passing out your pearls of information! :D It's a little slow right now because there no tropical gremlins on the horizon.

Wings over Houston is one of my favorite events (being a hardcore aviation buff) and the the Special Show for the the Physically
and Mentally Challenged is a wonderful event.

Speaking about emergency prep, I wonder if one of those coolers that run on a car's auto plug could keep insulin cool during an evac? I'm guessing an ice chest would work better because it doesn't require power, but ice, like gas can be in short supply.

Have a good one!
Texas Pirate

Stormrider wrote:I'm reading this, Texas Pirate. So glad you're a part of the Forum and passing out your pearls of information! :D It's a little slow right now because there no tropical gremlins on the horizon.

Wings over Houston is one of my favorite events (being a hardcore aviation buff) and the the Special Show for the the Physically
and Mentally Challenged is a wonderful event.

Speaking about emergency prep, I wonder if one of those coolers that run on a car's auto plug could keep insulin cool during an evac? I'm guessing an ice chest would work better because it doesn't require power, but ice, like gas can be in short supply.

Have a good one!

STORMRIDER - thanks SO much for replying. Truly appreciate it AND your idea the car's auto plug that could keep insulin cool via cooler during an evacuation. I suppose you can buy this at any sports store??
Maybe LOEWS? TARGETS? WAL-MART? I will check into this fabulous gizmo

Having just "celebrated" the 7th Anny of Rita and the #1 worst evacuation we had to endure in SE TX...that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I will add it to the list.

AND YES WIngs Over Houston can be enjoyed by *ALL* - I live near Ellington so I see those big birds take off. Its a wonderful sight to behold.

I'm also glad you metioned its a "little slow" around here (very polite - most wx. enthusiasts use the word BORING :o )
BUT, my dear community - may I remind you: EMERGENCY PREPARATION ISN"T JUST FOR HURRICANES! NOW would be a wonderful time to either PLAN/RE DO THE PLAN/STOCK UP/

Case in point:(did you think you'd escape without a story????)
Three weeks ago, my little pirate deck was plunged in darkness - (panic: did I pay the electrical bill???)
The whole area was out for FOUR HOURS from 7-11 p.m. It was hot to boot. I pulled out my emergency kit
and took out my handy dandy flash light and some candles. Went to the fridge and grabbed the yogurt, which I knew
would spoil and opened a can of green beans (via manual opener) Okay, not the best of dinners but with candles lit
anything can be romantic. Sat outside, was grateful there was a breeze now and then, got to speak to neighbors who also partook in the impromptu moment. But, we were all prepared.

:arrow: The point is, any thing can happen at anytime, and will. In these crazy times, YOU MUST STEP UP and PROTECT YOURSELF. EDUCATE YOURSELF. REACH OUT IF YOU NEED HELP TO PLAN. Better NOW, than too late.

I'll be going to New Mexico in a couple of weeks to attend the Southwest Disability Conference (a four state celebration) and I'm sure when I get back, I'll have some wonderful information to pass on to the community.

Stay safe, Enjoy our beautiful weather, Grab a plan and MAKE IT WORK for YOU.

(GO TEXANS!) (GET LOST REFS) :lol:

Stormrider

The 12 volt cooler/warmer can usually be found at Walmart, Academy, Target and other sporting goods/outdoors/boating stores. These devices are handy for road trips.

You are so right about being prepared for more than hurricanes. Our occaisional rolling blackouts duing heat waves and artic outbreaks can be a problem to those who depend on life support equipment. As we get into winter, that might be something for you to touch upon.

Living near Ellington during Wings would be a blast!

Hope you have a good trip to your conference. :)
  • Information