January: Calmer Pattern To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

wxman57 wrote:Just saw a comparison sounding from the 00z University of Houston's and models. The actual sounding has more of a sub-freezing area aloft than the Rapid Update Cycle model thinks there is, and the freezing level is closer to the surface than the RUC thinks. This increases the chance of sleet vs. freezing rain across Houston. This would still be a big problem for roadways as the sleet will cool the road surface more quickly than cold rain.
Is the same true with the 0z A&M sounding?
Kingwood31

Looks like breaks in the precip r coming soon,any idea when the next rounds or the " main event" is coming?
Paul Robison

wxman57 wrote:Just saw a comparison sounding from the 00z University of Houston's and models. The actual sounding has more of a sub-freezing area aloft than the Rapid Update Cycle model thinks there is, and the freezing level is closer to the surface than the RUC thinks. This increases the chance of sleet vs. freezing rain across Houston. This would still be a big problem for roadways as the sleet will cool the road surface more quickly than cold rain.

Which is more harmful? Sleet or freezing rain?
djmike

From NWS Lake Charles
US National Weather Service Lake Charles Louisiana

We have observed snow flurries here at our office at the Lake Charles airport. Its seems that the snowfall is continuing to expand as we get colder and colder.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Portastorm

Yes, that is exactly what happened here in Austin. Within two hours of the sleet falling, pretty much every elevated roadway/bridge started freezing over. We've had primarily sleet here for the last two hours. Off and on.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

South_Texas_Storms wrote:
Looks pretty good:
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
PaulEInHouston

fzlv (2).gif
fzlv (2).gif (43.05 KiB) Viewed 5443 times
As mentioned earlier, there appears to be an area South and S/West of the Texas Big Bend which shows/indicates an area of low pressure, high RH's, PW and some associated lift. (image from SPC MesoAnalysis). I would expect there to be a lull in activity in the next few hours, but with with mid-level winds transporting moisture from the SW to NE, it is possible that this area indicated will cross our area later tonight. The red line in graphic is the current surface freeze line and shows the steep change that is occurring over the greater Houston area at this time. Dry air is moving South and S/West into Texas as well.

As SRain pointed out earlier...the main event may well indeed be seen in the early morning hours...
Rich

wxman57, is this from the weather balloon that was launched earlier this evening? I was also wondering should we start seeing more moisture coming in from the southwest, most of it seems to the north now? Thanks.
jasons2k

Temp is almost steady here at 34. It's been steady since sunset - strange.
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

Andrew wrote:
Looks pretty good:
I think you forgot to post the sounding image. Can you please post it again?
djmike

Yeah, we have been holding a firm 32 here in Beaumont. (31.8 to be exact). Seems like the temp drops just halted, or better yet, froze! I'm sure in due time, it will begin to slowly drop. 27 for low forecasted here in Beaumont.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:
Looks pretty good:
I think you forgot to post the sounding image. Can you please post it again?[/quote]

Sorry
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jasons2k

Snow in Lufkin, according to obs. Mostly snow NE of a line from there to Lake Charles.
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Someone asked if sleet is worse than freezing rain. That depends. Sleet will not collect on power lines or trees, reducing the risk of power outages. However, sleet can help chill the ground (streets) more quickly than a cold rain, which could lead to more issues with icy streets once the sleet melts then re-freezes.

Got a note from my wife an hour ago. Her car chimed at her and the dash displays flashed and a snowflake appeared on the display. It informed her that it might snow tonight. Soundings currently suggest mostly sleet and freezing rain tonight, but as the cold air deepens tomorrow morning there could be some flakes around (maybe 6am-noon). Wonder where her car learned meteorology?
weatherag
Pro Met
Pro Met

Does some one have the UH sounding handy?
'There's a spirit can ne'er be told...'
South_Texas_Storms
Pro Met
Pro Met

I don't understand how I haven't seen any sleet yet. Areas to my south, north, west, and east have all been getting some. Even a few miles away from me has. When will I?
ticka1

ice pellets or sleet here
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freezing rain reported 5 miles N of Seguin
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kingwood31

ticka1 wrote:ice pellets or sleet here
U sure? I didn't think the freeze line was threw there yet
msp

South_Texas_Storms wrote:I don't understand how I haven't seen any sleet yet. Areas to my south, north, west, and east have all been getting some. Even a few miles away from me has. When will I?
urban heat island...
/s

In all seriousness, south and southeast C-Stat certainly has been an unlucky place to be so far. No frz stuff and now a lengthy lull in the precip.
  • Information