March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
nuby3

I'm currently experiencing an ice storm with occasional sleet and thunder
TxJohn

Andrew wrote:
TxJohn wrote:Question....is the rain/moisture we're getting now helping to cool the warm layer in the upper atmosphere? Is the rain we're getting now helping any at all?
Well the evaporation that is occurring in the area is an endothermic process meaning it is cooling the atmosphere. That is what we commonly associate with the wetbulb temp. Now what does happen with stronger storms is the precip can actually bring warmer temps down to the surface. Something we will need to keep an eye on as we go into the night but I suspect this won't be much of an issue.

Got it...thank you
Mr. T

Kingwood31 wrote: Still lquid at town center....??
I'm on the north side of Kwood literally right next to Kingwood Park High.

Officially 32 at IAH with freezing rain and thunder
jasons2k

Starting to ice over here. When it first started, the water was running down the windshield and the car tops were wet. After that burst of sleet (maybe graupel) it's all freezing-up now. Plants also getting a coat of ice now.
txsnowmaker

nuby3 wrote:I'm currently experiencing an ice storm with occasional sleet and thunder

Well that's not every day that happens around here, let alone in March. Maybe next winter we'll get a blizzard.
Kingwood31

Mr. T wrote:
Kingwood31 wrote: Still lquid at town center....??
I'm on the north side of Kwood literally right next to Kingwood Park High.

Officially 32 at IAH with freezing rain and thunder
Gotcha.ya its starting to freeze here on the car now
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

This is going to be a significant winter weather event!

Corridor of strong convection with P-type mix between sleet and freezing rain developing roughly along and north of I-10 from San Antonio to Beaumont.

Freezing rain and sleet with accumulation rates of .05 to .10 of an inch an hour will be possible in the outlined region on the graphic below through 300am. Models have not handled the onset of this precipitation well and expected longer duration of freezing rain/sleet mix with heavy freezing rain possible in convective cells.

Already numerous reports of ice and sleet accumulation over Waller, NW Harris and Montgomery Counties with surface air temperatures of 30-32. Crusty accumulation of freezing rain and sleet is likely over all of the warning area. Do not think onset of more sleet will cut down on accumulation amounts at all given the amount of lift and moisture we are dealing with.

TXDOT is showing widespread ice formation on bridges and overpasses over Burleson County from west of College Station to Somerville to Dime Box.

Attachments
03032014 mcd0170.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
sau27

Ice starting to form on top of my parking garage here at 59 and weslayn
txsnowmaker

After reading Jeff's latest update, I am wondering if we may see an Ice Storm Warning issued for Houston before all is said and done.
don

ice forming here also
  • Information