March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Mr. T

txsnowmaker wrote:After reading Jeff's latest update, I am wondering if we may see an Ice Storm Warning issued for Houston before all is said and done.
With the possibility of sleet accumulation as well, it won't be. It doesn't lessen the severity of the event. An Ice Storm Warning is only issued of the main precip type is expected to be all freezing rain with no mix.
txsnowmaker

Heller just signed off in part by noting that Houston has now fallen to 32.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

txsnowmaker wrote:After reading Jeff's latest update, I am wondering if we may see an Ice Storm Warning issued for Houston before all is said and done.

Winter Storm Warning covers same criteria for HGX regarding an Ice Storm. So the Winter Storm Warning is correct for our area.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
txsnowmaker

Mr. T wrote:
With the possibility of sleet accumulation as well, it won't be. It doesn't lessen the severity of the event. An Ice Storm Warning is only issued of the main precip type is expected to be all freezing rain with no mix.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Mr. T

Lift increasing across S TX associated with the main system. This will help fill in folks south of IH-10

First band about to exit Harris County with more bands to follow by midnight.
ticka1

looks from radar all precip is north of i-10 i will pribqbly miss it by 2.5 miles :?
WeatherDuck

32 and freezing rain in Taylor.
txsnowmaker

srainhoutx wrote:

Winter Storm Warning covers same criteria for HGX regarding an Ice Storm. So the Winter Storm Warning is correct for our area.
Thanks as well srain. This is why I frequent this forum.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sleet being reported in College Station as well as Bryan.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Portastorm

Down to 32 now in SW Austin with rain and occasional lightning and light rain.
nuby3

ticka1 wrote:looks from radar all precip is north of i-10 i will pribqbly miss it by 2.5 miles :?

Look at the radar out of corpus. you're not going to miss out on anything at all

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... p&loop=yes
Last edited by nuby3 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cisa

Ice beginning to glaze my car in Porter.
No rain, no rainbows.
don

radar is quickly filling in in South Texas

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
cristina6871

Stairs have already iced over....as well as the railings. This reminds me of the ice storm in the late 1990s. Am anxious to see what happens overnight.
cristina6871

Hate to leave the party but I need sleep. Will listen for the next big system.
TxLady

According to The Huntsville Item's Facebook post: All Huntsville schools will be closed tomorrow.
nuby3

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... p&loop=yes

WOWEEE!!!!!

every time it refreshes it gets more terrifying. anyone else freaked out right now?? pop the champagne!!!!!
JamieP

Advisory now includes coastal counties:

BRAZORIA-CHAMBERS-GALVESTON-MATAGORDA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALVIN...ANAHUAC...ANGLETON...BAY CITY... FREEPORT...FRIENDSWOOD...GALVESTON...LAKE JACKSON...LEAGUE CITY... MONT BELVIEU...PALACIOS...PEARLAND...TEXAS CITY...WINNIE

1140 PM CST MON MAR 3 2014 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM CST TUESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY THAT IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM CST TUESDAY. * EVENT...A COLD AIR MASS AND AN APPROACHING UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A MIX OF FREEZING RAIN OR A RAIN SLEET MIX DURING THE EARLY TUESDAY MORNING HOURS. THIS WINTRY MIX WILL COMMENCE OVER THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL COUNTIES...LIGHT ICE ACCUMULATIONS COULD BEGIN TO FORM ON SURFACES AS FAR SOUTH AS NEAR THE IMMEDIATE COASTLINE THROUGH THE MORNING. ACCUMULATIONS WILL GENERALLY BE LESS THAN A TENTH OF AN INCH. ANY ICE ACCRETION CAN MAKE FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL... ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND ELEVATED ROADWAYS SUCH AS OVERPASSES. MOTORISTS SHOULD PLAN FOR DELAYS IN THE MORNING COMMUTE AND BE PREPARED TO DELAY TRAVEL OR USE SURFACE STREETS...PROVIDING AMPLE BRAKING SPACE WITH THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF YOU. TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE ABOVE FREEZING BY 10 AM OVER MUCH OF THE SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE ADVISORY AREA. * TIMING...MIDNIGHT THROUGH 11 AM * MAIN IMPACT...TREACHEROUS DRIVING CONDITIONS ON MANY ROADS... ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND ELEVATED ROADWAYS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... ROADS...BRIDGES...AND OVERPASSES IN THE WARNING OR ADVISORY AREA MAY BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS. ACCUMULATION OF ICE UPON ROAD SURFACES...BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES MAY MAKE FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVELING.
HouTXmetro

[quote="nuby3"]http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... p&loop=yes

WOWEEE!!!!![/quote]

That will be an absolute nightmare!!! One has to think that deep convection will bring warm air down and keep us around or above freezing. If not, gonna be some major problems
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

HouTXmetro wrote:
That will be an absolute nightmare!!! One has to think that deep convection will bring warm air down and keep us around or above freezing. If not, gonna be some major problems
I think evaporative cooling is helping to contradict this. On another note, heavy sleet here with a layer on the sidewalk and beginning to get on the roads and the party hasn't even started yet.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
  • Information