March: Comfortable Weekend Weather & Warming Trend

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
nuby3

cristina6871 wrote:Woke up for something and decided to check in. I don't hear anything outside......although the radar shows purple all over the area. Is it over or is there more coming? Or was Spring and the Woodlands skipped over?
no, a significant ice storm is underway. the trees can be heard creaking when the wind blows because of the ice and there is at least 6 more hours of it to go and the heavy stuff hasn't gotten here yet

*edit at 3am. WE ARE GETTING POUNDED. steady moderate rain, 31 degrees, dewpoint 29, Over .25 inches of liquid now and the radar looks awfully bad
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

3:00am radar is very worrisome. I expect almost all public schools to pull the plug here soon. This is setting up to be a very dangerous event unfolding. Geez, the radar is just lit up like a Christmas tree.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
nuby3

Belmer wrote:3:00am radar is very worrisome. I expect almost all public schools to pull the plug here soon. This is setting up to be a very dangerous event unfolding. Geez, the radar is just lit up like a Christmas tree.

BELMER!!! this is insane. how are there not more posts?? I am getting clobbered
mcheer23
Pro Met
Pro Met

Heaviest band continues to move in from the SW expect Thunder-sleet in this band...Probably into the metro Houston area around 4:15-4:30am
HouTXmetro

The saving grace for some is that we are not firmly entrenched in sub freezing weather. Wide spread 32/33s across the area. I suppose we can cool off another degree or 2 before events end or we could warm up slightly. Wait and see
Brandy3835

32 here in Beaumont with rain not sure about ice
nuby3

31 and pouring with over .25 inches and rapidly counting. dewpoint 30

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/ECIR3.html
Last edited by nuby3 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nuby3 wrote:
Belmer wrote:3:00am radar is very worrisome. I expect almost all public schools to pull the plug here soon. This is setting up to be a very dangerous event unfolding. Geez, the radar is just lit up like a Christmas tree.

BELMER!!! this is insane. how are there not more posts?? I am getting clobbered

I'm sure many are getting what few hours of sleep they can before waking up to the main event. I expect this board to be popping within the next hour or so.
Blake
Boomer Sooner
nuby3

I'm getting rainfall accumulations of .1-.2" an hour right now
Belmer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Last post from me before I call it a night. I'm sure Srain will be up soon, heaviest band is quickly approaching from the SW. This is the band that will cause significant problems across the area as it will be in Houston from 4am-6am. Temps are holding steady at around 31 to 32 degrees. I would expect them to drop another degree or two before 7am.
This really is a dangerous event unfolding everyone. If you have to venture out, please be very careful! There were several accidents in North TX from the event they saw a couple days ago. Give yourself plenty of time!

Will wake up around 8am, will definitely be curious (and nervous) as to what I'll be waking up to.

Cheers everyone!
Blake
Boomer Sooner
nuby3

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southplains_loop.php

there are icicles 4 to 5 inches long hanging off of my roof

looks like the "main event" should arrive around sunrise for my location

***edit @ 4:03 am - things are rather serious up here
nuby3

we came up a degree to 32 dewpoint still 30. my only real concern is for the pine tree limbs and the power lines

.5" OF LIQUID. lucky we stayed at 31-32 or else this could have been a total nightmare. I have not accumulated .5 inches of ice

yep. I think for me in the end, the trees will be made really pretty and the cars look really neat. be careful on bridges.
losmabies

I am a little shocked I have not gotten a call yet for Conroe ISD closing or delay. Wonder if they are thinking things are fine and we will go to school as planned. HISD says they are going to be open.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good morning folks. Just walked and did an inspetion of my property. Freezing rain is falling moderately and trees are sagging and a layer of ice is on my cars, but streets are just wet. It is the elevated surfaces that have ice. Areas further N and W are likely worse, so stay home if you can. Temps here is 31.5, so it is borderline and could have been far worse had temperatures dropped further. The flyovers and overpasses are being re treated along HWY 290. The back edge is nearing Columbus. So far it is falling as just liquid and not sleet. Stay safe if you have to travel and drive slow!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

It's March and this is the 4th (FOURTH) winter storm this season. Record? Historic? Never in my 28 years do I remember anything close to this, never.

As of now, Centerpoint showing 34,000 people without power and growing quickly. It's hard to get a good ice storm at 32 degrees but clearly it's happening. Spoke to the 'rents this morning about 4:30am and they said that the pine trees are leaning and cars are encased in ice. Also icicles hanging off everything.

Easily the biggest icing event since '97.
Heat Miser
Location: FM 528 @ I45 border of League City, Webster, Friendswood

Just cold rain here. Just cold and miserable.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

5:30 AM Update from Jeff:

Ice storm continues across the region.

Accumulations of .25 at BUSH IAH and .21 at Sugar Land. Much of the area between US 59 and HWY 105 has accumulated .25-.35 of an inch overnight. Trees are becoming heavily coated and are very near the breaking point. Power outages have increased from roughly 1000 earlier this morning to over 33,000 currently.  

Note: Arcola in Fort Bend County reported .10 of an inch of ice accumulation in 30 minutes this morning.

Most freeway overpasses remain passable within Harris County with some patchy ice on some bridges. Various crews are sanding icy spots at this time at various locations.

Radar shows heavy freezing rain in progress over much of the region with additional ice accumulation on elevated objects of .10 to .20 which may bring storm totals up to .50 of an inch from Columbus to Katy to Spring. Surface temperatures continue to hover right at 32 degrees which appears to be just warm enough to preclude ice formation on pre-treated bridges and overpasses.

Back edge of the precipitation is currently along the I-35 corridor and moving eastward at 25-30mph.

Will likely not see much improvement to surface temperatures before 900-1000am
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
SusieinLP

Right now a good steady liquid rain. Currently 33 in La Porte. Hoping it stays liquid.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

37,000 CenterPoint Energy customers without power now.
ticka1

stayed 32 all night no freezing at all just rain. hope all those that do have freezing precip will take pictues and share
  • Information