JUNE 2015 -Scattered Showers/Storms To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jabcwb2

mckinne63 wrote:
jabcwb2 wrote:
mckinne63 wrote:I spoke with my boss this morning, while our company <major corporation> won't close, we are all keeping an eye on the weather. My immediate bosses all say "safety" first. I can work from home as I have a laptop.

Our building <Galleria area> has closed one of the main gates and is sand bagging today. The garage elevators are still out of service after the Memorial Day event.

My plan is to get up in the morning as usual, shower, get dressed and turn on the TV. That is what I did after the Memorial Day event, quickly decided it was best to stay home.

LOL!!! I just got that same email!!!
Do you work in the Galleria area also?
Yes - Post Oak
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. & Mrs wxman57 continue to be delayed in Chicago. Now a ground stop for thunderstorms in the Chicago area and their 5th gate change...so far.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
rnmm

srainhoutx wrote:Mr. & Mrs wxman57 continue to be delayed in Chicago. Now a ground stop for thunderstorms in the Chicago area and their 5th gate change...so far.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them! I hope they beat the bad weather!
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
mckinne63

jabcwb2 wrote:

Yes - Post Oak
I am at Woodway and Post Oak Ln.
mckinne63

srainhoutx wrote:Mr. & Mrs wxman57 continue to be delayed in Chicago. Now a ground stop for thunderstorms in the Chicago area and their 5th gate change...so far.
Safe travels, I hope you are able to get home soon and safely.
Baseballdude2915

So check this out while we await Recon flight data..

Ironic similarities between this system and Tropical Storm Erin in 2007 which landed near Port Aransas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_ ... %282007%29

"a Hurricane Hunters flight into the system reported a small circulation center, but at the time was not well-defined enough to result in the initiation of tropical cyclone advisories."

"The storm caused several bayous in the Houston area to reach or exceed flood levels"

Just to show how serious this can be, 21 fatalities from Erin and just 1 from the infamous Hurricane Humberto with minimal warning.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Convection continues to consolidate with banding features noted with a good inflow band developing to the South and East of 91L.
Attachments
06152015_2137_goes13_x_vis2km_91LINVEST_40kts-1007mb-262N-933W_81pc.jpg
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Quick thoughts: Been studying some long hi-res visible loops. The system has slowed. The shear has collapsed and it's building a nice anti-cyclone on top. You can see the cirrus starting to fan out on all sides with upper-level outflow setting-up. Pretty healthy looking tropical storm ramping-up. On water vapor, you can see it's in a large moist envelope and the dry air it ingested yesterday has dissipated. I would not be surprised if this made a run for hurricane status. The story will still be the rain.
kitkat4me

Have they said if its a called storm?

I am seeing where it is being told that the storm will hit Matagorda Bay tomorrow morning at 4am.
How is this possible if there is no closed eye for a named storm? I am not a pro at this, just watching, reading and learning from this forum. I love in Canada, but my kids and heart is in Houston.

Thanks for all your help guys and girls.
Rip76

I'm still driving.
Still moving in the same direction?
TexasBreeze

jasons wrote:Quick thoughts: Been studying some long hi-res visible loops. The system has slowed. The shear has collapsed and it's building a nice anti-cyclone on top. You can see the cirrus starting to fan out on all sides with upper-level outflow setting-up. Pretty healthy looking tropical storm ramping-up. On water vapor, you can see it's in a large moist envelope and the dry air it ingested yesterday has dissipated. I would not be surprised if this made a run for hurricane status. The story will still be the rain.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It just has that "look". It may run out of time to do so, but stranger things have happened before. Claudette went to Matagorda as a min hurricane and it poured the day after it hit from a long feederband. It will rain a bunch, but amounts are unknown.
Ounce

You know, if you go to channel 11's interactive radar on this website, zoom out a bit to the Gulf, then "Layer" select "wind speed", and click on the arrow button to animate it, then it will give you a pretty nice looking 'eye' showing its forward movement towards the Corpus area.
Baseballdude2915

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from Jeff:

Will not be making any changes and will await the data from the aircraft which should be in the system early this evening.

No significant changes are expected even if the system is upgraded.

Note: Shell oil Platform 42361 in the NW Gulf of Mexico is currently reporting sustained winds of 39kts out of the ENE (tropical storm force).

Will update all impacts later this evening once aircraft data is available.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Cromagnum

Damn the Houston news media is just chomping at the bits to call this thing a hurricane. I can't wait to see obligatory video of idiots standing in the surf or canoing down a "flooded" street as someone walks behind them in ankle deep water
unome

they just had a brief, radar indicated, tornado warning west of downtown a short time ago

tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Aircraft Position: 27.02°N 93.22°W
Bearing: 270° at 214 kt
Altitude: 264 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 39 kt at 160°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: 1006.4 mb
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Scott747

Plane has descended and we should know something fairly soon. Next hour or so. Believe they will get out advisories if warranted asap for the local 6 pm news cycle.

Pressures below 1007 so far....
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Scott and Steve,

Are you seeing the numbers? Those are flight level Kts, right?
  • Information