JUNE 2015 -Scattered Showers/Storms To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticka1 wrote:is it a wobble or truebturn south away from houston??

be this affects the moisture and pull away from houston area?

What to you think, ticka1?

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

06162015 1542Z recon_AF308-0402A-BILL.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
nuby3

perfect timing for a rainmaker really, coming ashore when it is. sun up for several hours and things heating up upon landfall, and then when it is just inland enough core rainfall will take place
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Looks like some training trying to set up in Galveston County to the E of I-45. Lots of rain developing in the GOM offshore of Galveston County headed NW.
ticka1

seriously thinking about heading into work -rainbands are very sporadic
nuby3

I think Bill shows more northward progress again. I really think we're gonna see a good turn to the north at some point and we are not out of any sort of woods at all around here. to me it looks like maybe a banding feature will develop roughly along 45 from Galveston to Houston
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 16th day of the month at 16:06Z
Agency: United States Air Force
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF98-5308
Storm Number & Year: 02 in 2015
Storm Name: Bill (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 4
Observation Number: 22
A. Time of Center Fix: 16th day of the month at 15:48:30Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 28°08'N 96°35'W (28.1333N 96.5833W)
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 1,406m (4,613ft) at 850mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind: 40kts (~ 46.0mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind: 69 nautical miles (79 statute miles) to the SE (133°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 210° at 28kts (From the SSW at ~ 32.2mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 29 nautical miles (33 statute miles) to the SE (135°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 997mb (29.44 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 16°C (61°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,530m (5,020ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 20°C (68°F) at a pressure alt. of 1,521m (4,990ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp & Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Not Available
M. Eye Shape: Not Available
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 850mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 0.5 nautical miles

Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 60kts (~ 69.0mph) which was observed 37 nautical miles (43 statute miles) to the ENE (60°) from the flight level center at 14:32:30Z
Maximum Flight Level Wind Outbound: 35kts (~ 40.3mph) which was observed 35 nautical miles (40 statute miles) to the SW (215°) from the flight level center at 16:00:30Z
Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 145° at 4kts (From the SE at 5mph)

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

As the storm moves to the NW/NNW, all that moisture over the Gulf is going to move-in right over us. I expect the threat of training bands over us to increase as we move through the afternoon and into tonight.

Part of the reason why the bands are sporadic is because the storm is still tightening-up, and it's common for there to be gaps. After landfall and the storm unwinds a little bit, expect the rain band shield to expand, with us sitting right in the inflow channel.

This is only the beginning of a long 24-36 hours ahead.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

jasons wrote:As the storm moves to the NW/NNW, all that moisture over the Gulf is going to move-in right over us. I expect the threat of training bands over us to increase as we move through the afternoon and into tonight.

Part of the reason why the bands are sporadic is because the storm is still tightening-up, and it's common for there to be gaps. After landfall and the the storm unwinds a little bit, expect the rain band shield to expand, with us sitting right in the inflow channel.

This is only the beginning of a long 24-36 hours ahead.

Great post Jason. Just heard Brooks on air mentioning that he and Dr. Neil where talking off camera about this very thing. The big concern is the eastern feeder band is moving N towards the Galveston/Houston area and all that long fetch deep tropical moisture will continue to stream inland a develop thunderstorms dropping copious amounts of rainfall. This event is far from over folks. In fact, it is just beginning.

TROPICAL STORM BILL TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL022015
1100 AM CDT TUE JUN 16 2015

...11 AM CDT POSITION UPDATE...

The center of Bill remains just offshore of Matagorda Island. During
the past hour, a sustained wind of 36 mph (57 km/h) and a gust to 51
mph (81 km/h) was reported at Palacios, Texas, and a gust to 45 mph
(72 km/h) was reported at Rockport, Texas. At 1030 AM CDT, the water
level at Port Lavaca, Texas, was 2.6 feet above normal.

SUMMARY OF 1100 CDT...1600 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.2N 96.6W
ABOUT 20 MI...30 KM SSW OF PORT OCONNOR TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 285 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...997 MB...29.44 INCHES

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
MRG93415

Just got this email:

Tropical Storm Bill remains about 20 miles south-southwest of Port O'Connor. The storm stalled just offshore which has delayed sending the bulk of the heavy rains onshore.
Bill's winds remain at 60 mph, and those tropical storm winds extend out 150 miles from the center.
Bill's rains extend 400 miles south into the Gulf. All that moisture will come inland later today, tonight, and tomorrow after Bill makes landfall. Our biggest threat of inland flooding may actually come tonight and Wednesday. Southeast Texas remains under a Flash Flood Watch until 6pm Wednesday.
ticka1

MRG93415 wrote:Just got this email:

Tropical Storm Bill remains about 20 miles south-southwest of Port O'Connor. The storm stalled just offshore which has delayed sending the bulk of the heavy rains onshore.
Bill's winds remain at 60 mph, and those tropical storm winds extend out 150 miles from the center.
Bill's rains extend 400 miles south into the Gulf. All that moisture will come inland later today, tonight, and tomorrow after Bill makes landfall. Our biggest threat of inland flooding may actually come tonight and Wednesday. Southeast Texas remains under a Flash Flood Watch until 6pm Wednesday.
did you go to work MGR?
MRG93415

Yes. I got an email from my work and they said to come in..LOL So I did. It really hasnt been bad downtown. I am just worried about the venture home at 4:30...
Texashawk

Still moving west. Potentially good news for Houston!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

06162015 1642Z recon_AF308-0402A-BILL.png
06162015 Zoomed 1642Z recon_AF308-0402A-BILL_zoom.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ticka1

yep moving more west pulling rain away from houston/se texas. Landfall far west matagorda bay. I bet he keeps moving NW away from SE texas.
rnmm

NHC had the movement WNW at 9MPH. What does this do for our area?
My name is Nicole and I love weather!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike
jasons2k

Pretty impressive bands setting-up now. Rainfall rates of 1-2" per hour so far. This is probably going to initiate flood warnings for Harris, Galveston, and possibly other counties soon.
MRG93415

You were not joking about that rain band. WOW!!!!
kitkat4me

I'm confused. I see post that we will get more rain then what they forecasted, we will get some rain, or no rain at all. I know that we have Pro-Mets on this board and a lot of people who know and follow weather. But, if someone like me see's all these different posts and tries to follow what the news says, they will just go in circles. It seems that none of the news stations are saying the same thing.

I know its a work in process on forecasting these, but we need to know if we will get rain or if we are in the clear.

ok, off soapbox sorry for rant. :oops:
unome

kitkat4me wrote:I'm confused. I see post that we will get more rain then what they forecasted, we will get some rain, or no rain at all. I know that we have Pro-Mets on this board and a lot of people who know and follow weather. But, if someone like me see's all these different posts and tries to follow what the news says, they will just go in circles. It seems that none of the news stations are saying the same thing.

I know its a work in process on forecasting these, but we need to know if we will get rain or if we are in the clear.

ok, off soapbox sorry for rant. :oops:
you didn't say where "here" was ?
  • Information