October 2015 - Severe Storms/Moderate Risk Excessive Rainfal

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
nuby3

downtown is about to get nasty
Last edited by nuby3 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoctorMu

Current tally IMBY - College Station is a cumulative 8.45 in for the event. Prior to the trough/front/Patricia axis of storms we had received only 1.65 in. of rain since July 4.
ticka1

from transtar
djmike

Western edge moving quickly east. Looks like it wants to end within a few hours. Is this supposed to finish this soon or will storms regenerate and we look for another round tomorrow? Just curious cause here in Beaumont we were told late tonight and daybreak and all day tomorrow is the main event for us, but all weve gotten is light rain all day and looks like the western edge to the rains moving out are on the heels of houston already. Just wondering if this is it or we (Beaumont) can expect atleast a moderate rain tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

djmike wrote:Western edge moving quickly east. Looks like it wants to end within a few hours. Is this supposed to finish this soon or will storms regenerate and we look for another round tomorrow? Just curious cause here in Beaumont we were told late tonight and daybreak and all day tomorrow is the main event for us, but all weve gotten is light rain all day and looks like the western edge to the rains moving out are on the heels of houston already. Just wondering if this is it or we (Beaumont) can expect atleast a moderate rain tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

It is moving a little faster than normal. Could see some back-building on the west side of the low but overall tonight will be the big event.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
HouTXmetro

I see rain developing just east of San Antonio....Is that where the cold front is stationary? If that holds and intensifies, event is far from over.
Texashawk

It seems like rainfall rates around the metro area have really increased in the last hour or so. I hope people are still taking this seriously!
nuby3

I don't think it's moving very fast

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... X&loop=yes
Baseballdude2915

To the untrained eye, it does look like this moved quicker than expected and we might have dodged the 10"+ totals. What is interesting is what Andrew mentioned a page or two back about the multiple lows on the radar. The one between Corpus/Matagorda looks like it is deepening... Beginning of a wrap around?
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Starting to see some concerning radar trends over the houston metro. Totals reaching 7 to 8 inch range.
nuby3

Baseballdude2915 wrote:To the untrained eye, it does look like this moved quicker than expected and we might have dodged the 10"+ totals. What is interesting is what Andrew mentioned a page or two back about the multiple lows on the radar. The one between Corpus/Matagorda looks like it is deepening... Beginning of a wrap around?

I've brought that up many times. that's the surface low

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... P&loop=yes
ticka1

according to reports 2 more hours and we can all get some sleep lol
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

nuby3 wrote:
Baseballdude2915 wrote:To the untrained eye, it does look like this moved quicker than expected and we might have dodged the 10"+ totals. What is interesting is what Andrew mentioned a page or two back about the multiple lows on the radar. The one between Corpus/Matagorda looks like it is deepening... Beginning of a wrap around?

I've brought that up many times. that's the surface low

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... P&loop=yes
Yea surface winds reflect it's just off the coast. It's very broad though
nuby3

it's moving very slowly if at all
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update from NWS
nuby3

wrap around rain intensifying now between Houston and San Antonio - surface low continues to deepen
Gator
Location: Southeast Harris County (between Friendswood & I-45)

Yep. Rainfall rates have definitely increased. From 8AM to 8PM today, I recorded 2" of rain in my backyard rain gauge. And 4 hours later at midnight, I had an additional 1" increase to a total of 3" of rain for the day here near Clear Brook High in SE Harris County. I also noticed that the first 2" took all day to fall and soaked into the ground with no real problem. This last inch has caused my yard to start getting pretty deep in water. It isn't soaking in any longer. From here on out, the bayous are going to start rising faster.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good news, we probably have about a hour and a half to two hours left in the Houston area before the heavier stuff makes it's way out. We are close here on some of these bayous but I do suspect we might be able to get out of most of them not going over.
Texashawk

It feels like the low has at least slowed down. The march of the dryline east has more or less stopped for now...
nuby3

Texashawk wrote:It feels like the low has at least slowed down. The march of the dryline east has more or less stopped for now...
it is not moving much
  • Information