Welcome Blake Mathews/New KHOU Meteorologist

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Ounce

So what is the process to get a new on-air met ready for on-air?
From a meteorological perspective, can the newbie analyze and assess what the upcoming weather is to be for a desired time period?
Is the software generally the same across the TV stations in the country?
I'm sure learning all the city and town name's pronunciation is part of the orientation, which Blake shouldn't have much of a problem.

Thanks.
Texaspirate11

WTG BLAKE!
I was up early as I have to go to work this early Saturday morning.
I flipped on KHOU and there you were - your FIRST broadcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRAVO - you did really well!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Hello everybody!

First, thank you for the nice welcome. It's great to be home! As many of you know, I'm originally from The Woodlands area and I've lived through many of the historic weather events that have happened here over the last 25 years including the 1994 flood, the 1997 ice storm, TS Allison, Hurricane Rita evacuation, Hurricane Ike and all the snow events including the Christmas miracle of 2004 and the '08 and '09 events.

After working in Bryan/College Station, I actually made a quick stop at KPRC as their assignment editor. After about 11 months there, I was transferred to Jacksonville, Florida to really begin honing my craft as a tv weatherman. I was there for just shy of five years and now here I am.

I'm looking forward to settling in here in Houston. I really have no desire to go anywhere else. My family is here. My friends are here. I know the climatology of the area and I have a brain packed full of useless information about the city, the geography and climate that will only serve me here.

I've read all your welcome's and I'm so grateful for the warm welcome. TV can be a humbling experience in more ways than one. I'm glad that I can grow my career in a familiar place and a place that I've always wanted to call home. I didn't realize how much I missed Texas or how much Texas was a part of me until I moved away.

Remember this: Learn to appreciate what you have now before time makes you appreciate what you HAD.

Ok, so I believe there was a question by one of the members here. Let me see if I can answer it:

There is a mixture of things that you need before you can be an on-air meteorologist and the mix is different for everybody. That mix is a degree, seals, good timing, great on-camera presence, well spoken, have a friendly face and a good rapport. Not all the ingredients are necessary and the formula is different for everybody.

Personally speaking, every job I've ever had, present job excluded, I had because the timing was perfect. In College Station, I was interning when the weekend guy quit. I showed up to intern one afternoon and got sent to a job interview. They hired me right then. I didn't even apply!

The job in Jacksonville I got in a similar way. They needed a weather producer/fill-in quickly. I was at KPRC at the time behind the scenes in news. I asked to have a meeting with my news director because I was going to quit. During that meeting she said that I'd be a good fit for that job in Jacksonville. Since the two stations were part of the same company, I transferred over.

My story is rare. Don't count on good timing to get you in the door. Here are some helpful tips:

1. Apply to small markets. You aren't going to start out in a large city. So take any job you can get. Your pay will be extremely low. Barely enough to eat but the experience is worth its weight in gold and the money gets much better as your experience level grows and the markets grow bigger.

2. Be willing to move! You will likely have to move to some random corner of the country to get started. Do it!

3. Get your seals.

The weather systems are more uniform now than they've probably ever been across the country since WSI bought out Weather Central. So when I took the job at KHOU, it was identical to the systems i worked on in Jacksonville in every way.

Thanks again, guys! Here's to a COLD winter! (God willing!)
jcarr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great to have you here in an "Official" capacity!!
Ounce

Thanks, Blake. I'm too far along in years to do a career change. I was just curious about how one gets up and going, plus whether one can hit the ground running upon arrival. Thanks for your time.
  • Information