January 2017 -Warming Trend To End The Month

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clouds continue to clear rapidly and KCLL is already down to 23 as Doctor Mu stated. Houston observations should begin to drop pretty fast now. 23-25 seem pretty feasible to me.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote:Down to 23-24°F in CLL. Wind chill of 10°F.

We have a real shot at the teens. It may be 20 years since we've broken 20°F.
I believe I hit 19 five or six years ago with that big freeze. My sprinkler backflow froze over. This was at the old house, where I had a massive garden of tropical plants covered in sheets. It caught the eye of the KPRC crew, and they reported live from my house. Meteorologist Mary Lee was sitting in my living room when I came home from work, and I didn't even know who she was!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

3:00AM temperatures across SE Texas:

Crockett 18
College Station 20
Hooks 23
IAH 24
Hobby 25
Angleton/Lake Jackson 26
Galveston 33

Wind chill readings in the low teens to near 20 across the Coastal tier of Counties. Certainty a notable Winter Weather event for our Region without ideal conditions with a massive 1050mb Arctic High across the Region that we typically see when temperatures get this cold in our part of the World.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Near clear skies out here on the tollway on the west side of town. METARS from airports on the west side indicate clear skies too.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

19F at College Station at 4:00AM

22 at DW Hooks

32 at Galveston
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
ronyan

25F in my area near the coast in what will be the coldest morning since Feb 2011. The forecasts from a couple of days ago look laughable at this point.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hard Freeze Warning for all of SE Texas Counties except Galveston County coming for tonight. HGX has undercut their temperature guidance a good 2 to 6 degrees for tomorrow morning suggesting Upper Teens may be reachable across areas just N of I-10.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
unome

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

21F at the house in NW Harris County this morning. This makes the coldest morning since January 30th 2014 at IAH. US Temperature departures versus climatology (1981 to 2010) across the Lower 48. Very impressive!
Attachments
01072017 Temperature Depature Climo t0.gif

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

6am:

KCLL: 18
KIAH: 22
KHOU: 25
KGLS: 32
cperk

21.5 degrees here at my home.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

7:00 AM Temperatures:

College Station: 17F
IAH; 21F
Hobby: 24F
Galveston: 31F

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

It's a chilly 19 degrees here!! Brrrr. Coldest morning in many years. That'll zap a lot of plants for sure!! Unfortunately that's cold enough to kill a lot of zone 9 plants. We were not prepared for temps quite this cold. Yes, Jeff, those few degrees DO make a big difference to gardeners and the net effect can be huge. Sad day for the local gardening community.
jeff
Pro Met
Pro Met

jasons wrote:It's a chilly 19 degrees here!! Brrrr. Coldest morning in many years. That'll zap a lot of plants for sure!! Unfortunately that's cold enough to kill a lot of zone 9 plants. We were not prepared for temps quite this cold. Yes, Jeff, those few degrees DO make a big difference to gardeners and the net effect can be huge. Sad day for the local gardening community.
"Will not make any adjustments to the expected overnight lows at this time…but emphasize that a damaging freeze is likely both Saturday morning and again Sunday morning and protective actions should be taken to protect pipes, pets/livestock, and plants. Make sure sprinkler backflow preventers are drained, shut off, and covered and all exposed outside pipes are covered."

I believe I was pretty clear this was going to be a damaging freeze.
redneckweather

17 degrees here at my spot near Lake Conroe at crack of dawn. Now I've risen to a warm 18 degrees. :)
jasons2k

jeff wrote:
jasons wrote:It's a chilly 19 degrees here!! Brrrr. Coldest morning in many years. That'll zap a lot of plants for sure!! Unfortunately that's cold enough to kill a lot of zone 9 plants. We were not prepared for temps quite this cold. Yes, Jeff, those few degrees DO make a big difference to gardeners and the net effect can be huge. Sad day for the local gardening community.
"Will not make any adjustments to the expected overnight lows at this time…but emphasize that a damaging freeze is likely both Saturday morning and again Sunday morning and protective actions should be taken to protect pipes, pets/livestock, and plants. Make sure sprinkler backflow preventers are drained, shut off, and covered and all exposed outside pipes are covered."

I believe I was pretty clear this was going to be a damaging freeze.
I'm not saying you weren't. But, objectively, I was expecting about 24-25. Not 19. Those few degrees can make a big difference when deciding whether or not to protect borderline 9b and 8a plants. Sorry to split hairs, but nobody advertised teens this far south.
Portastorm

Got down to 21.4 degrees at mi casa in SW Austin. Travis County lows got as low as 12 degrees in one rural spot.

Coldest morning since February 2011.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bottomed out at 20F here in NW Harris County.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
TexasBreeze

I called for 25 figuring it would not get to the modeled lows, but it did and it was 21 when I got up this morning.
ejburas

Hit 19 here in Cypress, Citrus trees are likely goners :(
  • Information