August 2017: Looking Back at Harvey 5 Year Later

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djmike

Question. All the rainfall maps we've seen showing us getting 20"+, is that only when Harvey comes ashore near corpus and stalls or does that also cover Harvey's potential path over us also? Ive seen a few maps showing these totals getting much higher as he advances into setx/swla. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
ticka1

is the front still to the north or has it washed out?
ticka1

Rip76 wrote:Wow.

Not much else to say.
lets hope there are no surprises and prayers for all in harveys path
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

djmike wrote:Question. All the rainfall maps we've seen showing us getting 20"+, is that only when Harvey comes ashore near corpus and stalls or does that also cover Harvey's potential path over us also? Ive seen a few maps showing these totals getting much higher as he advances into setx/swla. Thanks in advance.
Expect 25 to 35 inches of rainfall from today to whenever Harvey finally exits our Region with some isolated totals much higher depending on where the training feeder bands set up. Those feeder bands are capable of dropping 3-5 inches per hour, but it will be impossible to determine too far in advance exactly where and which neighborhoods will be impacted. Those estimates may still be on the conservative side via the WPC/NWS.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Agreed as well........not much more to say. This looks to be an epic tropical cyclone that will be talked about for many years. Currently setting at 0.85" as a week of Harvey begins.
basketballrox88

Is it just me or do I see a NNW to N motion with Harvey now? If you live in a flood plain (100 year or 500 year) get out! :roll:
sau27

Not to add to the already long list of concerns but I am a bit worried about us getting a core rain event after looking at the 0z and 6z GFS runs. Both runs have the center over, or very near Houston during the over-night hours of Tuesday into Wednesday.
houstonia

This is not urgent - and I don't know if Jeff Lindner every comes to this forum. I want to give a MAJOR shout-out to him. I heard him talking on KRBE this morning and he was really come across very clear about the weather threats, without overdoing it for the Houston folks. It's obviously difficult to describe the situation we are in right now. Obviously the peeps down along the coast are in dire straits and need to get out of there. Inland are more - different threats - and not quite as dire. Jeff did a great job of explaining this. Kudos!
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Katdaddy wrote:Agreed as well........not much more to say. This looks to be an epic tropical cyclone that will be talked about for many years. Currently setting at 0.85" as a week of Harvey begins.

Agreed and as we speak, HCC will be closing at 12 noon today.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

houstonia wrote:This is not urgent - and I don't know if Jeff Lindner every comes to this forum. I want to give a MAJOR shout-out to him. I heard him talking on KRBE this morning and he was really come across very clear about the weather threats, without overdoing it for the Houston folks. It's obviously difficult to describe the situation we are in right now. Obviously the peeps down along the coast are in dire straits and need to get out of there. Inland are more - different threats - and not quite as dire. Jeff did a great job of explaining this. Kudos!
He does..often...I am sure he will be on for periods of time all weekend.
  • Information