July 2018: Weekend/Early Next Week Rain Chances

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Texaspirate11

jasons wrote:I can't stand these Texas summers and droughts any more.

I'm done. Throwing in the towel. I'm moving to the Great State of Florida as soon as possible....which in reality will be about 3 years from now. But I have a plan and a goal :-)
hahahahah what makess Florida "cooler" than the Great State of Texas?
Got friends all over Florida, and they complaim like us!!!!
good luck though
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
texoz

GBinGrimes wrote:

I'm done. Throwing in the towel. I'm moving to the Great State of Florida as soon as possible....which in reality will be about 3 years from now. But I have a plan and a goal :-)
As Texas summers and droughts go, this summer has not been too bad. A week, or a couple, of ballpark 100 degree temps and little to no rain sure beats the heck out of what we have experienced in the recent past. If we start the slow slide into fall in just a week or 2, instead of late September, that is a true blessing.

Well wishes to you on the Florida plan but man...you can get slammed by a hurricane from multiple directions. Good ol' SE Texas works for me yet I am still fairly envious of our weather brother in Montgomery who has his plans for Montana. Nothing like the Rocky Mountains.
This June was tied for 3rd warmest on record for Texas, and had the warmest minimum on record.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/statewide ... eyear=2000
jasons2k

Texaspirate11 wrote:

good luck though
Depends where in Florida. I’m a Florida native. I go back at least once a year since we moved to visit relatives. The heat there is a lot more tolerable for me. Tampa has never hit 100 degrees. Ever. I’ll take near 90F and humid for 5 months and 70’s in January over the 100-degree heat and air quality advisories we experience here. I love the summertime Florida “rain machine” cycle with afternoon sea-breeze storms. You don’t go for weeks and weeks without rain.

One reason why I moved to Houston from Dallas was to get away from the constant 100-degree heat and the colder winters up there & to be closer to the coast. I didn’t move far enough...

Plus, I’m a beach bum. I love being by the water and Galveston just doesn’t do it for me. I miss the white sandy beaches and clear waters of Pinellas and Sarasota beaches. The brown sand and water here - no thanks. The last time I took my boys to the beach in Galveston I didn’t even get in. So I’m done.

As for hurricanes, the last major to hit the Tampa area was 1921. Hard to get a hit there with the angle of the coast. I’ll take my chances. No place is perfect, but the Suncoast region is “home” for me. It’s hard to explain, but there is an itch you get when you see one of those blazing Gulf sunsets and realize there is more to life than the concrete jungle.

I’m not going any time soon. I have to finish my Master’s first so I’m here for the next 3 years.
DoctorMu

Texaspirate11 wrote:

good luck though
I lived in Gainesville for awhile. The Brazos Valley is much hotter in the summer. The hottest part of the year is early June in Florida, then the prevailing easterlies hit, and it's an afternoon shower nearly ever day. Evenings are incredibly pleasant.

TBF the mornings are similar, but in the blazing Texas afternoon, it just keeps getting hotter and hotter and hotter and hotter. Today was 102°F IMBY about 6:30 pm.

One saving grace about the lack of rain here, that plays havoc on any kind of gardening. Sometimes after a front shift, things will desiccate and the dew point lowers, but the other side of that double edged sword is, of course, fire danger.

...and the advantage of living near or on the clear Gulf or Atlantic Coast, Sure, South Beach is loads of fun, but I'd pick St. Augustine. The average high in St. Augustine in August is a mere 90°F with a sea breeze.
Last edited by DoctorMu on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasons2k

St. Augustine is a beautiful place. The sand is pink-ish, similar to some of the beaches in the Bahamas. South Beach is a fun place to visit but I'd never want to live down in SE Florida....way too crowded, congested, and expensive. I prefer the Gulf Coast around the Tampa and Sarasota areas...more relaxed, better beaches, and the folks are more from the Midwest as opposed to Jersey.

Back on topic: looks like no more rain until August. I'll finish July with over 8 inches of rain but now it's starting to dry out pretty fast. It doesn't take long in this oppressive heat. I'm looking forward to August, which sounds crazy, but true, given the forecast.
FunNestle

I come here with hope that August will pick up the rains that July has left behind.
TexasBreeze

The stagnant airmass of late should turn more northerly with a weak front coming down next week. There are indications that there will be a more easterly/se flow into coastal TX to allow increased gulf moisture and wave activity to make it in longer term. Getting more into hurricane season means to watch those easterly waves and troughs very closely too. The Bermuda high may flex its muscle and with the Sonoran heat ridge shifting west into CA/AZ that will allow for a nice weakness to set up shop to rid the 100° air/dryness currently around...
FunNestle

Notice that when weather patterns across the country are in true summer form, with the jet stream locked up in Canada and zero westerly influence down to the lower-latitudes, Texas gets just as reliable summer rains as Florida/SE US, even stealing the show quite often. Exactly what was seen during the heavy rains of mid June and early July this year.

But that true summer pattern just hasn't been as dominant this decade compared to the 2000s. The issue being the constant high amplitude patterns of the jet stream over North America that have prevailed since after Hurricane Ike, which brings the western ridge and eastern trough ordeal. That eastern trough prevents the high pressure from extending meridionally in a way that allows disturbances to sweep from the east, then west into Texas. Instead, the high pressure bends SE, then ends up bring subsidence and drought into Texas. The SE/Florida still get rain, but from the weakness aloft/mid-latitude peturbances, rather than true tropical air masses. That dip in the jet-stream brings westerly influence down to low-latitudes in summer...which means that dry Texas/rainy SE patterns are not actually true summer patterns, but rather more of spring/fall-lite that just so happens to be showing up in summer. This same trough over the Eastern US is also responsible for bringing down harsher cold snaps during winter. Yep, you heard right: the same factor responsible for arctic cold in Texas during winter is also responsible for summer droughts over the state.

Texas is better off in the tropics, to escape the woes of this volatile continent.
Last edited by FunNestle on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FunNestle

jasons wrote:Depends where in Florida. I’m a Florida native. I go back at least once a year since we moved to visit relatives. The heat there is a lot more tolerable for me. Tampa has never hit 100 degrees. Ever. I’ll take near 90F and humid for 5 months and 70’s in January over the 100-degree heat and air quality advisories we experience here. I love the summertime Florida “rain machine” cycle with afternoon sea-breeze storms. You don’t go for weeks and weeks without rain.
I agree. However, I wonder if that sea-breeze cycle would still hold under subsident 590+ heights. Given the patterns over North America, much of the rainfall disparity between Florida and Texas during summer would really just be embellished and exaggerated, due to the false summer pattern caused by the trough.
jasons wrote:Plus, I’m a beach bum. I love being by the water and Galveston just doesn’t do it for me. I miss the white sandy beaches and clear waters of Pinellas and Sarasota beaches. The brown sand and water here - no thanks. The last time I took my boys to the beach in Galveston I didn’t even get in. So I’m done.
I agree only when it comes to the water color, obviously.

But sand comes in too wide variety of colors (white, brown, black, red, pink, green, etc). Even in the context of brown sand ... Rockaway Beach seems to be doing fine. Hard-packed? The racers love Daytona Beach for that.
jasons wrote:As for hurricanes, the last major to hit the Tampa area was 1921. Hard to get a hit there with the angle of the coast. I’ll take my chances.

Hurricanes afford way too much prep time for one to be too worried about them, in all fairness.
Cromagnum

jasons wrote:As for hurricanes, the last major to hit the Tampa area was 1921. Hard to get a hit there with the angle of the coast. I
Hurricanes afford way too much prep time for one to be too worried about them, in all fairness.
Until the forecast gets it wrong and it suddenly heads towards you.
FunNestle

Cromagnum wrote:Until the forecast gets it wrong and it suddenly heads towards you.
Which is why you use universal precautions, and stay weather aware.
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote:
jasons wrote:As for hurricanes, the last major to hit the Tampa area was 1921. Hard to get a hit there with the angle of the coast. I
Until the forecast gets it wrong and it suddenly heads towards you.

The highest risk areas for hurricanes based upon 1900-2000 data are not surprisingly south Florida, North Carolina, Mobile, Mississippi, Louisiana, Galveston area. North Florida (Tampa, St. Augustine) is at low risk.

https://www.planswift.com/blog/hurrican ... uirements/
jasons2k

Similar to today, with calm winds, tomorrow is shaping-up to be another air quality alert day.

Incidentally, I just did a lookup:

Houston Air Quality: 161, Unhealthy
Tampa Air Quality: 7, Good
St. Pete is at 2. TWO. That's pretty amazing.

At home - Spring is at 152, Unhealthy.
FunNestle

DoctorMu wrote:The highest risk areas for hurricanes based upon 1900-2000 data are not surprisingly south Florida, North Carolina, Mobile, Mississippi, Louisiana, Galveston area. North Florida (Tampa, St. Augustine) is at low risk.

https://www.planswift.com/blog/hurrican ... uirements/
Those would just be strikes. Quite telling, but they certainly don't account for exposure in general.
jasons wrote:Similar to today, with calm winds, tomorrow is shaping-up to be another air quality alert day.

Incidentally, I just did a lookup:

Houston Air Quality: 161, Unhealthy
Tampa Air Quality: 7, Good
St. Pete is at 2. TWO. That's pretty amazing.

At home - Spring is at 152, Unhealthy.
I'm sure the lack of refineries goes a long way in maintaining cleaner air in Florida.
mckinne63

Nice storm here in Stafford this evening! Pool is filled.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A weak cool front will drift across SE TX today and with thunderstorms possible. This weak front will bring drier air for Wednesday and Thursday with only slightly lower temps. Radar shows showers and thunderstorms N and NE of Houston this morning.

From the Houston-Galveston NWS Hazardous Weather Outlook issued this morning:

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

Showers and thunderstorms will be possible today as a weak cold front pushes through the area. Some of these storms could be strong to severe, capable of producing gusty winds, small hail, frequent lightning, and locally heavy rainfall.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 5.37.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 5.37.59 AM.png (339.97 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
CrashTestDummy

mckinne63 wrote:Nice storm here in Stafford this evening! Pool is filled.
0.51" of glorious rain yesterday in our corner of the desert!! :lol:

My wife and I sat outside yesterday afternoon, enjoying the lightening and thunder and feeling the cool outflow breeze. Then the rains came. It's nice to finally get some water on the lawn that didn't come out of the well.

My wife and I couldn't remember the last time we saw lightening and heard thunder. Not even sure we got that over the July 4th holiday weekend!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am surprised the line is holding together early this morning. Creeping closer to Eastern Metro Houston. Fingers crossed for some redevelopment later today for the West side of the Area!

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
803 AM CDT TUE JUL 31 2018

...SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY FOR TRINITY...NORTHEASTERN GRIMES...
NORTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY...SAN JACINTO...SOUTH CENTRAL HOUSTON...
SOUTHEASTERN MADISON...POLK AND WALKER COUNTIES UNTIL 845 AM CDT...

AT 803 AM CDT, DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALONG
A LINE EXTENDING FROM NEAR CHESTER TO HUNTSVILLE. MOVEMENT WAS
SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

NICKEL SIZE HAIL AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH
THESE STORMS.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
HUNTSVILLE, LIVINGSTON, TRINITY, SHEPHERD, ONALASKA, CORRIGAN,
GROVETON, NEW WAVERLY, COLDSPRING, POINT BLANK, RIVERSIDE, GOODRICH,
SEVEN OAKS, SEBASTOPOL, LAKE LIVINGSTON STATE PARK, ALABAMA-COUSHATTA
RESERVATION, WEST LIVINGSTON, HUNTSVILLE STATE PARK, CRABBS PRAIRIE
AND LEGGETT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TORRENTIAL RAINFALL IS ALSO OCCURRING WITH THESE STORMS, AND MAY LEAD
TO LOCALIZED FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED
ROADWAYS.

FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING IS OCCURRING WITH THESE STORMS.
LIGHTNING CAN STRIKE 10 MILES AWAY FROM A THUNDERSTORM. SEEK A SAFE
SHELTER INSIDE A BUILDING OR VEHICLE.
Attachments
07312018 CODGOES16-subregional-Texas.02.20180731.130221-over=map-bars=none.gif
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
redneckweather

Not gonna happen. Radar trends no bueno.
FunNestle

redneckweather wrote:Not gonna happen. Radar trends no bueno.
Storms are starting to develop SW around Matagorda...
  • Information