Update: KHOU Weather Forum IS Back..for now

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am sad to announce that KHOU just informed me that they will no longer be supporting the KHOU Weather Forum. Effective November 5, 2018 at 9:30AM, the Weather Forum will be gone. I just received an e-mail with literally no advance knowledge of this. We will attempt to come up with some sort of solution in the days ahead and will advise our online Weather Community via our TxWeatherBoard Facebook and Twitter feeds.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

This is very bad news.
Good bye for now everyone.
davidiowx

WHAT!! Why? This is terrible! Could they not find someone that would keep it up and running via 3rd party? This is the only weather forum I know of that is a primarily greater Houston area weather forum.

Will anyone on here be joining another forum or is it now just storm2k we can visit?
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

3:25PM Monday 11/5/18-
All,

There was some miscommunication today, but the KHOU weather forum is back.

It has been reinstated and will be alive through this month. At that time, the forum will either be transferred to an upgraded platform with a more secure way of communicating, or perhaps the database containing all forum messages over the decade could be moved to a new virtual host with a unique URL, to be reborn. Perhaps it could be moved to a facebook page. Any of your thoughts are welcomed!

More than anything, I want to reiterate that we absolutely value your contributions to this forum. Like you, we come here to share in our enthusiasm for the science of meteorology and the fellowship of the community.

-Brooks
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
JDsGN

I hope this can stay a web forum. Facebook just wouldn't be the same and can be such a pain to navigate when wanting things in chronological order. A 10 page monthly weather post on here would be impossible to navigate on facebook and end up going down rabbit trails with all of the sub conversations for each comments replies but I guess that it would be better than not having the forum at all.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just received the e-mail from Doug. Thanks to everyone that made this happen so quickly. The response from our social media feeds as well as e-mails and texts were overwhelming today. Thanks to KHOU and Tenga for fully understanding the importance of our KHOU Weather Forum. Since 2001, the KHOU Weather Forum has gained the trust of many across and far beyond the Metro Houston as a reliable and accurate source for Weather Information. Thanks to Brooks, David Paul and Blake Mathews for fully supporting our efforts here as well.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

We have quite a historical archive in here. Ike, Humberto, Harvey, etc. I would be heartbroken to see it all lost.

It’s amazing to me how tight money is when we are having such an amazing economy...another discussion for another place...
mckinne63

Oh my! Glad we are back for now. I was shocked when I saw the notice this morning. Fingers crossed y'all can keep this going. It is where so many of us go for the real weather information.
Rip76

brooksgarner wrote:3:25PM Monday 11/5/18-
All,

There was some miscommunication today, but the KHOU weather forum is back.

It has been reinstated and will be alive through this month. At that time, the forum will either be transferred to an upgraded platform with a more secure way of communicating, or perhaps the database containing all forum messages over the decade could be moved to a new virtual host with a unique URL, to be reborn. Perhaps it could be moved to a facebook page. Any of your thoughts are welcomed!

More than anything, I want to reiterate that we absolutely value your contributions to this forum. Like you, we come here to share in our enthusiasm for the science of meteorology and the fellowship of the community.

-Brooks

I prefer a forum setting over a Facebook type layout as well.
If we have to start our own, etc. I would be willing to donate for sure.

I’ve been on here since Rita, and I don’t want to lose this.
weatherrabbit

Thank goodness!
  • Information