February Weather Discussion. Wild Winter Storms?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. T wrote:
weatherguy425 wrote:GFS definetly delays the arrival of colder air and less moisture, along with what the NAM showed you have to go hmmmm
lol, no. We can see the moisture across Texas right now and notice they are already underdoing activity. Also, the NAM was colder than its 18z run, so that was a good thing. But again, very minor details that do not matter much

It's nowcast time, now. There really isn't any point looking at the models in so much detail at this point. Shades of the 6z NAM that took away all the snow the morning of the Dec 4th event last December...

Nothing has changed. Calm down guys, lol. You guys have very drastic emotions
Just stating the model. Wasn't saying anything else but what it said. One thing that does worry me is the local media being so conservative. Yes it could very well be a system that is no big deal, but if we get caught in some heavy snow things could go downhill fast. They don't even mention that possibility.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ok, I'm still awake, but getting ready for bed. 00Z GFS is in enough to see that it ends the precip by 6pm tomorrow across Houston. That's about 3-4 hours earlier than previous runs, giving us a narrower window for any snow. It also keeps accumulations north of Houston.
greg_kfdmtv
Pro Met
Pro Met

ProfMET wrote:New to this board. Greg Bostwick just came on, kfdm in beaumont, and said we're in for a significant snow event down to the coast. He'll give further details in 10 minutes, but did say areas just to out north ans west could receive up to 8 inches locally!
That's strange....I was just on the air and said nothing of the kind! :evil:
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

matthouston wrote:Hello everyone. I'm not new to the boards, but I typically "participate" as a spectator, as I know NOTHING at all about weather. I just find it fascinating.

My question has to do with school closings. I know northerners laugh at us, but it seems this could actually be a "significant" event for southeast Texas and could definitely justify a few school closings.

I attend day and evening classes at University of Houston Downtown. What is the likelihood that the college will choose to close its doors, at least for the evening classes before things begin to stick (if that ends up happening).

I know schools can be VERY stubborn from time to time. My wife teaches ninth grade at Pasadena Memorial HS and their school forbid the teachers from taking the kids out to enjoy the Dec 4th snow - acted like it wasn't even happening. Scrooges! :(
I don't see anything to indicate there will be dangerous driving conditions across the Houston area. Temps will remain above freezing, so roads will just be wet.
AggieBuckeye

:lol: :lol:

Now that is some comedy gold Greg!
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oh, and here's that 00Z GFS snow accumulation map. Maybe 1/4" to 1/2" north of I-10. May be reasonable, though it'll greatly depend on timing and snowfall rates.

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

greg_kfdmtv wrote:
[b]ProfMET[/b] wrote:New to this board. Greg Bostwick just came on, kfdm in beaumont, and said we're in for a significant snow event down to the coast. He'll give further details in 10 minutes, but did say areas just to out north ans west could receive up to 8 inches locally!
That's strange....I was just on the air and said nothing of the kind! :evil:
Bye bye!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Mr. T

Snow bands approaching the Dallas area and IH-35 corridor, a lot sooner than any model is forecasting

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southpla ... e_loop.php

Anyway, I'm going to get some sleep. See you guys tommorow
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:Oh, and here's that 00Z GFS snow accumulation map. Maybe 1/4" to 1/2" north of I-10. May be reasonable, though it'll greatly depend on timing and snowfall rates.

Yea but honestly wxman do you think this is reasonable especially with how fast the GFS just diminishes the moisture. I mean even in 6 hours the moisture is not extended that far out east. I don't know maybe I am seeing something wrong.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
sleetstorm

ProfMET, did you lie to eveyone on this weather forum just now?
  • Information