Meteorology Programs, Reference Material, & Questions

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know there was a post present earlier this month asking about meteorology programs or reference material for amateur forecasters who want to learn more about the science behind the field. Unfortunately, the user who posted the question was a spammer so we had to remove the post, but I thought I would bring it back for anyone who has questions or reference material (sites, books, etc) to share. I know I can answer questions about the field in general and I am sure with the wide variety of meteorologist present here, they can give their thoughts and opinions too.

For those interested, here are a couple of links to sites that provide free access to material that is usually a good starting place:
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yeah, there is another one from Penn State...yep, that Penn State..

https://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees ... e/overview
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Also, Mississippi State University
http://distance.msstate.edu/geosciences/
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the links tireman, I will add them to the list in my original post
sau27

Curious if anyone here has used any of these resources. I have looked at the PSU program and some MetEd programs but am curious about anyone else's experience.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

sau27 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 pm Curious if anyone here has used any of these resources. I have looked at the PSU program and some MetEd programs but am curious about anyone else's experience.
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has taken a course like this, but based on the PSU program saying no formal prior calculus or physics is needed, I have my doubts you really get into learning the science behind the atmosphere. It looks like it would be more of the basic forecasting methods with limited knowledge on how it all works. If that is the case, "met-ed" and "the weather prediction" has some really good material that could save you $500/credit.

If you want to learn more about the science behind meteorology/atmospheric sciences, MIT has a great website that includes several lecture notes. Beware, some of the lectures can be very technical, especially once you get to the graduate level courses.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-top ... ricscience

Of course, if you have specific questions, you can ask them here and there are many knowledgable people who can help.
jasons2k

If I could go back 20 years, I would have gotten my Met degree but I was too afraid of differential equations and fluids. I think I would have made a fine TV Met because I’m a good public speaker and I’m great at explaining complex concepts in simple terms. Sigh...
sau27

jasons wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm If I could go back 20 years, I would have gotten my Met degree but I was too afraid of differential equations and fluids. I think I would have made a fine TV Met because I’m a good public speaker and I’m great at explaining complex concepts in simple terms. Sigh...
I have the same feeling about going back. I thought about transferring to a met program back when I was in undergrad but I let the math scare me off.
jasons2k

sau27 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 am
jasons wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 pm If I could go back 20 years, I would have gotten my Met degree but I was too afraid of differential equations and fluids. I think I would have made a fine TV Met because I’m a good public speaker and I’m great at explaining complex concepts in simple terms. Sigh...
I have the same feeling about going back. I thought about transferring to a met program back when I was in undergrad but I let the math scare me off.
Yeah, and ironically I’m working on MBA now - and it’s mostly math.
  • Information