October: Chilly Halloween Outlook

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
snowman65

I've been watching the GFS flip flop showing cooler weather around Oct 4th...one run it's there, next run it's gone, etc...I'm ready for a change....let's GO....
MontgomeryCoWx

It’s been pretty consistent recently
Team #NeverSummer
Scott747

After taking a few runs off the GFS is back showing a strong hurricane in the Western Gulf.

A second cool front looks to protect our area and pushes towards the BoC.
DoctorMu

Scott747 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 pm After taking a few runs off the GFS is back showing a strong hurricane in the Western Gulf.

A second cool front looks to protect our area and pushes towards the BoC.
Yeah, the Oct 4 cold front slaps the hurricane back Tampico.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The models are backing off the idea of a cold front the first weekend of October. We may have to wait a while longer for that first real Fall Front.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do see the ECMWF/GFS are suggesting a robust monsoonal/Central America gyre developing as October begins. Conditions in the Western Caribbean and portions of the Gulf could be rather favorable for tropical development as a new month begins. The Eastern Pacific is another favorable location, particularly near the Gulf of Tehuantepec. We need a good strong cold front to shut down any tropical weather worries along the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kludge

srainhoutx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 am I do see the ECMWF/GFS are suggesting a robust monsoonal/Central America gyre developing as October begins. Conditions in the Western Caribbean and portions of the Gulf could be rather favorable for tropical development as a new month begins. The Eastern Pacific is another favorable location, particularly near the Gulf of Tehuantepec. We need a good strong cold front to shut down any tropical weather worries along the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast.
It kinda looks to me that the 0Z Euro brings the "remnants" of Karen into the mid Texas coast on the morning of 10/5.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kludge wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:52 am
srainhoutx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 am I do see the ECMWF/GFS are suggesting a robust monsoonal/Central America gyre developing as October begins. Conditions in the Western Caribbean and portions of the Gulf could be rather favorable for tropical development as a new month begins. The Eastern Pacific is another favorable location, particularly near the Gulf of Tehuantepec. We need a good strong cold front to shut down any tropical weather worries along the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast.
It kinda looks to me that the 0Z Euro brings the "remnants" of Karen into the mid Texas coast on the morning of 10/5.
The 00Z Euro suggests a broad area of potential vorticity attempting to organize in the SW Caribbean. That has the appearance in my view of a broad area of monsoonal/Central America lower pressure we can see in that area. Of particular interest to me is the pattern does look conducive for potential development as that robust Convectively Coupled Kelvin Wave progresses further East across the Atlantic toward Africa. We need rain for you folks near/around the Brazos Valley. Fingers crossed you folks can get some rainfall without is being from any sort of tropical mischief.
Attachments
09262019 00Z 144 ecmwf_uv850_vort_watl_7.png
09262019 00Z 168 ecmwf_uv850_vort_watl_8.png
09262019 00Z 192 ecmwf_uv850_vort_watl_9.png

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
texoz

Half the state is in either in moderate to extreme drought. A weak TS moving at a steady pace from Brownsville to Lubbock would be welcome.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/jpg ... X_none.jpg
JDsGN

For some reason the wait for this front this years front is really discouraging... I can remember some hot days in October but we have at least had a few days with a nice tease of cooler air.
snowman65

looks like Oct 4 front won't happen but now showing something on Oct 10...maybe....hopefully....at least by Thanksgiving, huh? lol
stormlover

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWFTROPA ... floop.html

could be some good rains next weekend 3rd straight run for euro
DoctorMu

Warm and dry through the middle of the month per ensemble, Canadian, w/e
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael Ventrice‏Verified account @MJVentrice · 1h1 hour ago
Keep an eye on the western Caribbean during the upcoming 5 days. Models are indicating risk for a developing low-pressure system. There has been a good discussion on a Central American Gyre aiding in this genesis, generated by the MJO. This could be a tropical cyclone next week.

Attachments
09292019 Mike V AM EFnqzbPWsAIXUl4.jpg

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Kingwood36

So what is this i hear about a cool front around the 7th?
snowman65

Kingwood36 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:07 pm So what is this i hear about a cool front around the 7th?
Every front the models have shown so far has been a failure....I wouldnt believe anything they show more than 2 days out.
snowman65

For us cold weather lovers, I have a feeling this is going to be the most depressing winter we've had in a LONG LONG time.
Scott747

We might need a front to keep any potential tropical issues from heading this way.

Because the models are slowly coming into agreement that there may be a weak system coming from the NW Caribbean towards the western/central gulf later this week.
mckinne63

snowman65 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:20 pm For us cold weather lovers, I have a feeling this is going to be the most depressing winter we've had in a LONG LONG time.
I hope not!
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

We are all awaiting cooler weather for October and must still watch the tropics. I will always remember the large NGOM Halloween Hurricane Juan of 1985. Juan had a large wind field which effected SE TX and made its first landfall Oct 28th near Morgan City, LA. Juan did a loop and made a second landfall Oct 31st at Pensacola, FL. I was amazed that we still had some gusty N winds from departing Juan on my birthday Nov 2nd along the Upper TX Coast.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 4.56.30 PM.png
  • Information