February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

tireman4 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 pm
jasons2k wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Oh I dont.
I have my days....when I wish I had become an OCM. I think I could do a better job than some folks in the local market, but not naming names...

I'm pretty good at public speaking (so I'm often told after presentations). I've also been told I do a decent job of taking complex/technical/scientific information and explaining it in ways that anyone can understand.
Well, there is. online.msstate.edu...:)
It's crossed my mind 1,000 times. But I'm almost done with my MBA now...talk about a switcheroo!

I have thought about seeing if I could volunteer and work for free the weekend shift in Bryan/College-Station or Beaumont, just to get the experience. I'd do it. I think I could be a great OCM, but starting over at my age (47) -- most people would call that insanity, even if I look 10 years younger than I am. I even got carded a few weeks ago. I took that as a compliment - hehe.

Dropped down to 35 now. Very slow fall...
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

jasons2k wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:30 pm

I have my days....when I wish I had become an OCM. I think I could do a better job than some folks in the local market, but not naming names...

I'm pretty good at public speaking (so I'm often told after presentations). I've also been told I do a decent job of taking complex/technical/scientific information and explaining it in ways that anyone can understand.
It's crossed my mind 1,000 times. But I'm almost done with my MBA now...talk about a switcheroo!

I have thought about seeing if I could volunteer and work for free the weekend shift in Bryan/College-Station or Beaumont, just to get the experience. I'd do it. I think I could be a great OCM, but starting over at my age (47) -- most people would call that insanity, even if I look 10 years younger than I am. I even got carded a few weeks ago. I took that as a compliment - hehe.

I though about it too. Was in the proggram for a brief cup.of coffee twice. Life got in the way. Trying to finish my PhD in History. Maybe later. So much a bucket list for me. Never to use it, just the knowledge
jasons2k

tireman4 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 pm

I though about it too. Was in the proggram for a brief cup.of coffee twice. Life got in the way. Trying to finish my PhD in History. Maybe later. So much a bucket list for me. Never to use it, just the knowledge
Heh - my undergrad was a double-major in History and English. And what I do is far, far away from that.

So....the NWS had me with a low of 32 tonight, and they raised it to 34. Probably the right call based on the flat-lining of my temp trend. I'm gonna be honest - after consistently trending below the forecast for the last several days, I am quite surprised that I am now on the warm side and there isn't as much CAA into my location. That 32F isotherm just wants to sit there...stubborn wedge of warmer air.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Heh - my undergrad was a double-major in History and English. And what I do is far, far away from that.

So....the NWS had me with a low of 32 tonight, and they raised it to 34. Probably the right call based on the flat-lining of my temp trend. I'm gonna be honest - after consistently trending below the forecast for the last several days, I am quite surprised that I am now on the warm side and there isn't as much CAA into my location. That 32F isotherm just wants to sit there...stubborn wedge of warmer air.
I’ve been at 33 almost all day. Just now dropped to 32 with some drizzle.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

What’s your dew point? May see a 1°-2° drop as rain begins to fall. CAA gradually increases tomorrow.
Scott747

Ch. 13 forecast is absolutely crushing for the coastal counties. Almost inevitable that there would be widespread power outages.
MontgomeryCoWx

Your temp now has no bearing on what’s coming. Enjoy history!
Team #NeverSummer
AtascocitaWX

So the models have been off with temperatures between 3-5 degrees right? So 0z GFS says Houston will be 3 degrees , so could it really be below zero?
Cpv17

AtascocitaWX wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:19 pm So the models have been off with temperatures between 3-5 degrees right? So 0z GFS says Houston will be 3 degrees , so could it really be below zero?
Yes it could be. It’s not out the realm of possibility.
jasons2k

weatherguy425 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:01 pm

What’s your dew point? May see a 1°-2° drop as rain begins to fall. CAA gradually increases tomorrow.
Attachments
15DC2294-6461-4251-B741-5018C544958D.png
MontgomeryCoWx

Sleeting in Magnolia. Immediately sticking
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Yes, you know what, after digging-up so many tropicals and stuffing them in the garage, wrapping the pipes, etc., I say bring it. You deserve it, and I will enjoy the blizzard of 2021 we are about to witness. 8-)
MontgomeryCoWx

jasons2k wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:02 am
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Yes, you know what, after digging-up so many tropicals and stuffing them in the garage, wrapping the pipes, etc., I say bring it. You deserve it, and I will enjoy the blizzard of 2021 we are about to witness. 8-)
Sweat equity... you has it!

I got a close college buddy who has a palm tree business outside McAllen. I'll see what I can do.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

Summary for today
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.48.49 PM.png
jasons2k

It's raining here, but also with something floating in the light. It looks like little snow flurries. I have seen reports of freezing rain & drizzle all around me - even to the SE (mPing) - but I can't find any ice at my location. Still 35F here....
TXWeatherMan

jasons2k wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 am It's raining here, but also with something floating in the light. It looks like little snow flurries. I have seen reports of freezing rain all around me - even to the SE - but I can't find any ice at my location. Still 35F here....
33 here near Lake Conroe Dam. I just walked outside and it’s drizzling lightly, no sleet or ice yet.
Sloth

New GFS models looks very promising, snow wise
jasons2k

Interesting, the thermometer says 35, but my patio table with a glass top - is slushy and forming a layer of glaze.

I remember Harold Taft at KXAS giving a physics lesson one time, and explaining how with wind and lower dew points with moisture falling, solid objects (metal and bridges) could cool faster than the air temperature, so it was possible to have ice on surfaces even if the air temp was slightly above freezing.
Last edited by jasons2k on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:51 am It's raining here, but also with something floating in the light. It looks like little snow flurries. I have seen reports of freezing rain & drizzle all around me - even to the SE (mPing) - but I can't find any ice at my location. Still 35F here....
I experienced the same thing here off and on all day. I thought it was maybe snow grains.
Cpv17

Sloth wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:57 am New GFS models looks very promising, snow wise
North of 10 they look amazing.
  • Information