February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cromagnum

Cpv17 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:16 pm KHOU on air said they expected single digits Temps tonight. KHOU.com is saying lows in mid 20s tonight. Which is it?
Cro, you know enough about the weather to know it’ll be colder than the 20’s tonight lol

Oh I know. Lack of sleep between dealing with a new puppy and up dealing with prep and home maintenance must be getting to me.
Cpv17

Kingwood36 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:59 pm
don wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:44 pm 12z GFS,CMC,and UKMET has temps around freezing along and north of I-10 with moderate to heavy precip.As the GFS is trending further off shore with the surface low. The EURO is slightly warmer than the GFS and CMC but has a disturbance on the backside of the low with a trowel over the area Wednesday night.
So the coastal counties look safe?
Even if it’s only rain it’ll probably ice over Thursday morning again.
christinac2016

Has anyone been able to get through to a live person with entergy? I have 80 yr old parents who are without power.
davidiowx

Winter Storm Warning issued for Feb 17-Feb 18

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
311 PM CST Mon Feb 15 2021

...ANOTHER WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO BRING FREEZING RAIN TO
INLAND PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST TEXAS BEGINNING TUESDAY NIGHT...

...BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL OCCUR TONIGHT AND INTO TUESDAY
MORNING...

...ROADS WILL REMAIN HAZARDOUS TONIGHT AND TUESDAY MORNING WITH
LINGERING ICE...

TXZ163-164-176>179-195>200-210>213-226-227-300-313-161115-
/O.CAN.KHGX.WS.W.0002.000000T0000Z-210216T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KHGX.WS.W.0003.210217T0600Z-210218T1200Z/
/O.CON.KHGX.WC.W.0001.000000T0000Z-210216T1800Z/
Houston-Trinity-Madison-Walker-San Jacinto-Polk-Burleson-Brazos-
Washington-Grimes-Montgomery-Northern Liberty-Colorado-Austin-
Waller-Inland Harris-Wharton-Fort Bend-Southern Liberty-
Coastal Harris-
Including the cities of Crockett, Trinity, Groveton,
Madisonville, Huntsville, Shepherd, Coldspring, Livingston,
Corrigan, Caldwell, Somerville, College Station, Bryan, Brenham,
Navasota, Conroe, The Woodlands, Liberty, Cleveland, Dayton,
Columbus, Eagle Lake, Weimar, Sealy, Bellville, Hempstead,
Prairie View, Brookshire, Waller, Houston, El Campo, Wharton,
Missouri City, Mission Bend, Sugar Land, Rosenberg, First Colony,
Pecan Grove, Devers, Pasadena, and Baytown
311 PM CST Mon Feb 15 2021

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TUESDAY...
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT TO
6 AM CST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Bitterly cold air will continue filtering into the area
and temperatures will remain well below freezing through most of
Tuesday...and likely late into the week for locations further
north from the coast. Minimum wind chills will remain or fall
below zero.

Freezing rain is expected to develop over the area
Tuesday night and lift northward on Wednesday through the day.
Additional light amounts of freezing rain may re-develop
Wednesday night. Ice accumulations will likely range from around
a tenth of an inch across central areas to a quarter of an inch
across northern areas.

* WHERE...Southeast Texas.

* WHEN...Wind Chill Warning through noon Tuesday. Winter Storm
Warning from Midnight Wednesday through 6 AM Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will continue to be very difficult through
Tuesday morning with ice covered roads. Power outages are
ongoing. The extremely low wind chills, below zero will be life
threatening to people and animals outside without adequate
warmth or shelter! Another period of difficult travel due to ice
is expected from Tuesday night through Wednesday night.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Another winter storm will affect inland portions of the area mid-
week, producing another round of ice and dangerous roadways.
Travel may be impossible across northern portions of the area.

The latest road conditions for Texas can be found at
drivetexas.org.

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of ice are expected
or occurring.

A Wind Chill Warning means the combination of very cold air and
strong winds will create dangerously low wind chill values. This
will result in frost bite and lead to hypothermia or death if
precautions are not taken.
don

As expected winter storm warning issued for central and northern counties for Tuesday night-Wednesday...
Attachments
hdgx.png
hdgx.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Kingwood36

Well Atleast us in Brazoria County don't have to deal with this
Cromagnum

Kingwood36 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:56 pm Well Atleast us in Brazoria County don't have to deal with this
If its just more freezing rain, hard pass.
Kingwood36

Cromagnum wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Kingwood36 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:56 pm Well Atleast us in Brazoria County don't have to deal with this
If its just more freezing rain, hard pass.
It is...it's not snow
MontgomeryCoWx

Just got service. What a wild night.

I got stuck in a icy revene by our neighborhood (on the Polaris Ranger) and had to walk 2.5 miles in white out conditions.

I’ve had no power and service most of today and made it to a neighbors house who has a back up generator.

1/2” of ice and 3-4 of snow. Great storm! And I was smiling ear to ear walking back in thunder snow.

Would do it all over again.
Team #NeverSummer
Kingwood36

Power has been off since 4:15 this morning and it's still off....this is ridiculous 😑
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:53 pm Just got service. What a wild night.

I got stuck in a icy revene by our neighborhood (on the Polaris Ranger) and had to walk 2.5 miles in white out conditions.

I’ve had no power and service most of today and made it to a neighbors house who has a back up generator.

1/2” of ice and 3-4 of snow. Great storm! And I was smiling ear to ear walking back in thunder snow.

Lol idk if I should say that’s awesome or that sucks. I’m gonna go with awesome :lol:
TexasBreeze

What a night! Sounds like a high school friends' epic adventure that you always remember and tell your parents the story years down the road! Lol
Wonder how that guy who called bust early yesterday is faring today...
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:08 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:53 pm Just got service. What a wild night.

Lol idk if I should say that’s awesome or that sucks. I’m gonna go with awesome :lol:
It sucked at first but then I laughed and loved it. I love this weather. Over 80 is for the birds
Team #NeverSummer
Cromagnum

Just lost power in Rosharon at 5:55. Parents lost theirs in Crosby at same time. Skeptical this was a rolling blackout that far apart in distance.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Monday evening weather briefing from Jeff:

A brutal arctic air mass centering over the region will result in near all-time record low tonight.

Intensity cold will likely result in continued infrastructure failures with power, water, natural gas, and other services.

Suffering tonight will be widespread, especially for those without power.

Temperatures currently in the low 20’s and upper 10’s will fall quickly after sunset as snow and ice covered grounds under clear skies result in maximum cooling. Temperatures will fall into the mid and upper 1’s over much of the area and low to mid 10’s along the coast. With the loss of solar heating, melted ice and snow will quickly refreeze into black ice in the next few hours creating hazardous travel conditions.

Winter Storm Warning:

A new winter storm warning has been issued generally along and north of a line from Wharton to Sugar Land to Houston to Liberty. Clouds will begin to increase late on Tuesday as the next storm system approaches from the west. Most areas will remain near or below freezing on Tuesday and surfaces will be supercooled from the Tuesday morning bitter cold. Precipitation will begin to develop and spread across the region from SW to NE Tuesday night and where the freezing line is located will determine where the rain/freezing rain line will be. Best estimate at this time is that the freezing line will be near or just south of US 59 with freezing rain to the north of this line and rain south of this line. Ice accumulation will be possible across the areas in the Winter Storm Warning on elevated surface, especially, trees, power lines, and bridges/overpasses.

The freezing line will gradually lift northward on Wednesday and areas along and south of HWY 105 should rise above freezing ending the freezing rain. It remains uncertain how quickly the freezing line lifts northward and how far north it moves and this may be something that will have to be watched hourly on Wednesday.

Wednesday evening the rainfall will be ending across the area, but the freezing line will likely move back southward and wet surfaces will likely refreeze again with ice most likely on wet bridges and overpasses.

Temperatures will rise above freezing on Thursday with melting of ice, but fall into the mid 20’s Thursday night and Friday morning with any left over water freezing yet again on bridges and overpasses.

By Friday sustained warming will begin and that should be the conclusion of this historic and memorable arctic air outbreak.

Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
don

Dont like the trend of some of the latest mesoscale models there coming in further off shore with the low, and have temps taking longer to get above freezing. And also showing an earlier onset of precipitation.There could end up being a pretty decent ice storm along and north of I-10 especially.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-02-15 Models RDPS — Pivotal Weather.png
Tx2005

I haven’t been following much of the forecast as I’ve been stuck at work since yesterday. How are things looking for Wednesday? Will there be an opening where roads aren’t freezing over? I’m hoping to be able to go home if a window opens up Wednesday.
walsean1

Just the fact that what melted will refreeze tonight and most of us will not get above freezing Tuesday is concerning. Then the next system which is stronger will drop precipitation that even if it is liquid will refreeze Wednesday night
MontgomeryCoWx

don wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:16 pm Dont like the trend of some of the latest mesoscale models there coming in further off shore with the low, and have temps taking longer to get above freezing. And also showing an earlier onset of precipitation.There could end up being a pretty decent ice storm along and north of I-10 especially.
Bring it. I’m deep in the bourbon and ready for another adventure
Team #NeverSummer
Rip76

Deep in the bourbon too.

How is everyone doing?
  • Information