February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

February is not far away. Will it feel more like Winter or Spring? I guess the Groundhog will give us a clue. ;)
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

The overnight Ensembles suggest a strong Arctic invasion is developing as February begins. The effect of the Sudden Stratospheric Warning event in early January is reaching our part of the Northern Hemisphere. Get those Winter Clothes ready!
Attachments
ecmwf-ens_T850a_nhem_9.png
gfs-ens_T850a_nhem_33.png
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
BlueJay

Katdaddy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 pm February is not far away. Will it feel more like Winter or Spring? I guess the Groundhog will give us a clue. ;)
I think the groundhog will see his shadow.

Winter continues. :|
Cpv17

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:40 am The overnight Ensembles suggest a strong Arctic invasion is developing as February begins. The effect of the Sudden Stratospheric Warning event in early January is reaching our part of the Northern Hemisphere. Get those Winter Clothes ready!
The GFS doesn’t even have much of a front through here lol the coldest it gets is the upper 30’s. It has all the cold air going east.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 am
srainhoutx wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:40 am The overnight Ensembles suggest a strong Arctic invasion is developing as February begins. The effect of the Sudden Stratospheric Warning event in early January is reaching our part of the Northern Hemisphere. Get those Winter Clothes ready!
The GFS doesn’t even have much of a front through here lol the coldest it gets is the upper 30’s. It has all the cold air going east.
GFS' track record this winter has been awful.

Euro and Canadian have been bringing the cold in a week. If there's precip. at just the right time - might avoid the warm nose.
Cpv17

The GFS and Euro are now both in agreement that the coldest air will be well east of Texas. Still a long ways out though and it could easily shift back west as we get closer. Models do this all the time at this range and then slowly shift back west. We’ll see.
don

12z EURO and CMC both show a winter storm setup early next week. Getting a glancing blow of cold air is better for us if you want a better chance of frozen precip.As a direct blast of arctic air would cause 9 times out of 10 too much suppression/dry air for any precip. But its still really early expect a lot of flip flopping as the models get a better handle on the upper level pattern.
snowman65

My wife and I are thinking of going to Branson, Mo. the week of Feb 8-13. What would this do to the weather there for that week? Thanks!
danmaloney

The SSW has so far failed to give Houston anything. Now all we are talking about is a glancing blow of air that goes East.
Kingwood36

I just want some cold weather screw the rain or snow or whatever..hell is approaching faster and faster and pretty soon will be in the 90s again
  • Information