February 2021: Arctic Outbreak/Warmup Begins

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

I’ll take the job.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

One more mostly sunny day with highs in the mid to upper 70s across SE TX. Temps will remain mild with highs in the mid 60s to low 70s through the weekend however get ready an extended period of clouds and showers through the weekend beginning tomorrow. I will take the mild temps, clouds, and showers over cold temps, no power, or water.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 6.50.18 AM.png
jasons2k

A few of our cold weather cheerleaders have suddenly gone quiet 🤫
cperk

jasons2k wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am A few of our cold weather cheerleaders have suddenly gone quiet 🤫
Yeah I don’t think anyone wants to see another of we we got last week. :D .
txbear

I really think that had energy generation not been an issue (not starting political talk here; just pointing at that piece of the puzzle), we would probably be having a much different talk about the super chill of last week. Not to say that the warm weather lovers wouldn't still be happy with the current weather ;)

Heck, I'm a cold weather cheerleader, and didn't even allow for real enjoyment of the snow because the power was out and no real way to warm up; much less the in-and-out of the house letting more cold air in. There would still be some pipe bursts and the tropicals would be torched, but much more would be avoidable because water pressures would've stayed up and warmth would still be directed to sensitive areas of homes. I believe everyone is going to have a cost of the freeze, but I really feel for those that suffered the worst of the worst.

ETA: I have my share of pipe repairs and landscaping to complete as well; we were certainly not unscathed here.
Last edited by txbear on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorMu

cperk wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:20 am
jasons2k wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am A few of our cold weather cheerleaders have suddenly gone quiet 🤫
Yeah I don’t think anyone wants to see another of we we got last week. :D .
I like cold weather. I like electric power, too. 8-) "Winterize" and "preparation" have to be in the Texas lexicon.

Greensboro, NC sees last week's weather every other year. Arkansas had 20 inches of snow and near zero°F readings. No problem. My wife's parents in the Hot Spring area were stuck insides, but no issues with electricity, water, etc.
DoctorMu

txbear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am I really think that had energy generation not been an issue (not starting political talk here; just pointing at that piece of the puzzle), we would probably be having a much different talk about the super chill of last week. Not to say that the warm weather lovers wouldn't still be happy with the current weather ;)

Heck, I'm a cold weather cheerleader, and didn't even allow for real enjoyment of the snow because the power was out and no real way to warm up; much less the in-and-out of the house letting more cold air in. There would still be some pipe bursts and the tropicals would be torched, but much more would be avoidable because water pressures would've stayed up and warmth would still be directed to sensitive areas of homes. I believe everyone is going to have a cost of the freeze, but I really feel for those that suffered the worst of the worst.
Agreed. We were lucky. I finished repairs yesterday of some minor water damage that occured when snow and ice were blown into the attic by blizzard conditions. Insulating the garage, gas fireplace, etc. helped keep temps in the house at least 60°F and the pipes avoided freezing.
Cromagnum

Have to repair a pvb that was damaged despite winterizing it and by the signs of my flower beds, I will be doing a lot of landscaping this spring.
Cpv17

I’d like another week of winter weather but without all the problems lol unfortunately for whatever reason we can’t have winter weather here and not have major problems.
TxLady

Week before last, I was about to call a plumber for a minor plumbing issue, that has been ongoing for a few months. Nothing serious, more of an annoyance. I guess that call will wait! I have some Pampas Grass that my late husband had planted, just prior to his passing. I'm not sure if those plants will survive. They are huge plants. I certainly hope they do! My oldest StepGrand-Daughter is getting married in May, and hopes to use some of the "fronds" for her decor. Who would have thought that Pampas Grass would become a "thing"?! :)
  • Information