April 2021

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
djmike

Close to calling bust for Beaumont too. Had sprinkles today and thats it. Squall looks to have a hard time forming so not expecting anything from that either. I know it wasnt a bust for all, but I-10 Beaumont southward is lucky if anyone got a drop or two. Past 5 years seems like something has changed. Like squall lines dont form for us anymore. I remember thick heavy solid red squall lines. Now were lucky if we get anything. Seems weather is always further north now than what it use to be. JMO.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Kingwood36

Why can't we get any rain here? Why is it always going to the north and east of us?
jasons2k

TWC app now shows whatever is left, basically dying off to nothing in the next few hours.
djmike

I dont think it rained enough to make a puddle. I-10 south, huge bust!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
jasons2k

Well, the last of it is about to go through, and so far, it is dry for most of us. Except for areas mostly north of HWY 105, this one was a bust. Feast or famine.

Unfortunately, with the drought, we needed this one (minus the severe weather). Many of us have been watching this system for about a week now, and we were counting on it for some much-needed rainfall and drought relief. And then....a big dud.

Onto the next....
Cromagnum

If it can hold together for another 30-40 minutes maybe I can finally get something on the south side.
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 pm If it can hold together for another 30-40 minutes maybe I can finally get something on the south side.
Yeah, more down south of I-10 than up here. We were in-between, in no-man's land.
Rip76

Booming in Friendswood right now.
Cromagnum

Was just on the northern edge of that southern storm. Got a quick 1/4 inch of rain which I will take, but had hoped for 5-10x as much.
Cpv17

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 pm Why can't we get any rain here? Why is it always going to the north and east of us?
I think we’ll have to wait till later in May or June till we get some rain from the tropics. These systems coming through with fronts are too far north of us to get anything. We need them to dig down much further south into Mexico before ejecting towards Texas and they just aren’t doing that.
txbear

Kingwood36 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 pm Why can't we get any rain here? Why is it always going to the north and east of us?
Yeah a head scratcher for sure. I’m sure there’s something about zonal flow keeping things to our north, but yeah I’m curious myself.

We had everything in place yesterday for a decent soak, and came up lame.
jasons2k

What a waste. I can’t even bear to look at the mid-week system.
Stormlover2020

Hrr did pretty good
Cpv17

Stormlover2020 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:22 am Hrr did pretty good
It’s my go to mesoscale model. I use it all the time.
don

Models are trending towards a cut off low situation next week.With the main upper level low slowly moving across the southern half of the state,which is just what you want this time of year to get more substantial rain around here.Lets see if the trend continues...not holding my breath LOL.
Attachments
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_20.png
Cpv17

don wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:05 am Models are trending towards a cut off low situation next week.With the main upper level low slowly moving across the southern half of the state,which is just what you want this time of year to get more substantial rain around here.Lets see if the trend continues...not holding my breath LOL.
Isn’t that what the Euro has been hinting at off and on the past couple days?
don

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 am
don wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:05 am Models are trending towards a cut off low situation next week.With the main upper level low slowly moving across the southern half of the state,which is just what you want this time of year to get more substantial rain around here.Lets see if the trend continues...not holding my breath LOL.
Isn’t that what the Euro has been hinting at off and on the past couple days?
Yes it has, the GFS seems to be the most progressive with the system next week but even it has trended substantially less progressive the last couple of days. The EURO,CMC,and ICON all show either a cutoff low or a trough very close to being cutoff from the main flow.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:37 am
I think we’ll have to wait till later in May or June till we get some rain from the tropics. These systems coming through with fronts are too far north of us to get anything. We need them to dig down much further south into Mexico before ejecting towards Texas and they just aren’t doing that.
You'll usually start getting sea breeze popcorn showers in May. A few in May and early June can reach the Brazos Valley before the Death Ridge appears. Then it's tropics or bust north of Brenham and Conroe.
DoctorMu

Hope it happens for all of us. My strategy to wait and put the rain gauge together later actually worked. Good thing because there's a busted sprinkler head.

But yes, it's going to take a cut-off low or potent dry line as fronts will become weaker and weaker. It may take another 2+ weeks to turn on the sea breeze and popcorn shower season.

A nice northerly breeze today. Blue skies, almost Chamber of Commerce weather.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Beautiful perfect warm dry weather this weekend for SE TX. Yesterday’s storm complex SE of San Antonio made its way across the coastal counties last night. The storms were moving rapidly and the lightning was continuous averaging 1 flash per second and sometimes 2-3 lightning flashes at 11:40PM. Also brief heavy rainfall at the house as storm complex passed just S and SE of W League City. The rainfall was very nice.
  • Information