General Weather Discussions and Analysis
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What it shall it bring us?
BlueJay

April showers?
DoctorMu

BlueJay wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 amApril showers?
I wish. Looking high and dry and warm to hot after Monday. The more it dries and is warm in the Spring, the worse this summer is going to be. Almost nothing on GFS, Euro, CMC, UKMet through mid-April. Zonal systems are taking the energy north of here. You know it's bad when CMA (China) progs the most rain.
txbear

DoctorMu wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm
BlueJay wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 amApril showers?
I wish. Looking high and dry and warm to hot after Monday. The more it dries and is warm in the Spring, the worse this summer is going to be. Almost nothing on GFS, Euro, CMC, UKMet through mid-April. Zonal systems are taking the energy north of here. You know it's bad when CMA (China) progs the most rain.
The big suck. Not ready to be running sprinklers like mad already.
Cpv17

Yeah folks it’s not looking good. A very boring stretch of weather coming up. Hopefully a pattern change will come later in April.
DoctorMu

An interesting note. NHS has retired the entire Greek alphabet for Hurricane names. Confusing, distracting and Eta and Iota had to be retired anyway. A new set of A-Z names will wait in the wings.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-r ... e-of-greek
jasons2k

Another year...another drought in the middle of the spring “storm season.”

Time to finally build pool 2.0
BlueJay

I hope that the talk of a 2011 repeat and an active 2021 hurricane season is just an April Fool's day weather prank.
It's never to early to prepare, though.
DoctorMu

Nothing until about April 16-17 on GFS. Slight chance of precip late week on CMC. Euro has potential action in NW counties on the 9th. El Zippo on ICON.

Sprinklers on stun. Kirk out.
TxLady

Yesterday was such a gorgeous Spring Day! I had errands to run, and decided to have my truck cleaned up, while I was out. The car detail shop was packed! As I was waiting, the Weather Channel was playing on the TV in the lobby. They were discussing how this weekend was a very boring pattern for most of the US. I wake up, this morning, to a rain/pollen mix all over my nice clean truck! It's been rainy and cool all morning. Anyone that got some rain this morning, has me and my $50 truck wash to thank! :lol:
DoctorMu

Yeah, cool, cloudy, and drizzly were not expected this morning - I was set to mow the back.

April and early October before brown patch season are the two periods in the Brazos Valley to boast a green lawn.

Despite 5°F nights in CS during the Winter Storm Week, somehow the weeds went wild in March. I put pre-emergence down earlier...but the weeds laugh at it. I've used Scott's Weed & Feed twice in the past, and each time it smacks around the St. Augustine while the weeds survive, until it gets hot and the weeds die anyway.

I use Sta-Green high nitrogen fertilizer with no phosphate, time release pellets with 2% iron to keep the grass robust on our garbage gray clay soil (Scott's just proliferates runners not blades). The yard has build up some nice inches of loam over time. Most people around here cut St. Augustine way too short after the initial scalping of winter debris. I'm set for 2 3/4 in next week and the duration of the summer. Because "summer" begins late in the week until sometime in October.

So, I tried Sta-Green weed and feed pellets. The St. Augustine loves it and the weeds are knocked down. Not completely, but good enough.

Just a sprinkle this am, but not much more. We won't reach 70°F today.

The Big Suck begins Wednesday with 90°F with no significant rain chances for a week after that. I am NOT ready to begin running the sprinklers like crazy yet. Holy ***** the Canadian has near century mark temps late week! GFS is far milder. Ensembles are split.

240 hours out, the only significant rainfall north of 0.5 inches is on the UKMet. GFS, Euro, Canadian are nearly dry.
DoctorMu

I'm sure TropiKal lurking somewhere. After 2 major snowfalls/winter storms in College Station this winter with a robust La Nina...the upcoming Big Suck is projected to be due to weakening La Nina and neutral ENSO.

https://www.kagstv.com/article/weather/ ... 2244c95d89

So NOW it becomes warm/hot and dry, beginning next week.
Cpv17

DoctorMu wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm I'm sure TropiKal lurking somewhere. After 2 major snowfalls/winter storms in College Station this winter with a robust La Nina...the upcoming Big Suck is projected to be due to weakening La Nina and neutral ENSO.

I’m not seeing much hope for any rain for the whole month of April tbh.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:05 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:58 pm I'm sure TropiKal lurking somewhere. After 2 major snowfalls/winter storms in College Station this winter with a robust La Nina...the upcoming Big Suck is projected to be due to weakening La Nina and neutral ENSO.

I’m not seeing much hope for any rain for the whole month of April tbh.

Which might be OK if the temp weren't poised to soar 20°F. The sun broke out this afternoon and was perfect for mowing and yardwork. I'm envious of my old home state in NC, because we'd have another month of this, temps around 70°F...not to mention the 2-3 months of Indian summer in the Fall.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Happy Easter everyone!!! A mild SE TX day with highs in 70s and partly cloudy skies. A weak disturbance will result in some light rain showers this afternoon.
Cromagnum

Need rain badly. My ground is already cracked in several spots.
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 am Need rain badly. My ground is already cracked in several spots.
Yes, the plants need their moisture after the big freeze. This drought is a bummer.

Good news is that it appears that most healthy Mexican Fan Palms and Canary Island Date palms made it through the freeze. The jury is still out on the date palms over at Portofino.

Also, fortunately the tropicals I had to leave in the ground are all coming back. They froze to the roots but there is new baby growth sprouting out. I’m not so afraid of losing my plants now in the winter because I know they will come back.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 am
Cromagnum wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 am Need rain badly. My ground is already cracked in several spots.
Yes, the plants need their moisture after the big freeze. This drought is a bummer.

Good news is that it appears that most healthy Mexican Fan Palms and Canary Island Date palms made it through the freeze. The jury is still out on the date palms over at Portofino.

Also, fortunately the tropicals I had to leave in the ground are all coming back. They froze to the roots but there is new baby growth sprouting out. I’m not so afraid of losing my plants now in the winter because I know they will come back.
I put in a beautiful drought resistant Mexican Oak in the front yard a few years ago. Then it rained a foot in May and the tree drowned.
DoctorMu

A trace (of rain) a day keeps the sprinklers away??

A trace for 4 days in a row. Still had to run the sprinklers. But only 1/2 time.
DoctorMu

A light line of showers and "front" moving through. We might get a solid tenth of an inch!

Doesn't not appear to have the oomph to arrive in Houston.
  • Information