April 2021

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
txsnowmaker

jasons2k wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm NWS is already mentioning the "C" word for next week's system.

Hoping for some decent rains this Friday.
What is the “c” word?
davidiowx

txsnowmaker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm
jasons2k wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm NWS is already mentioning the "C" word for next week's system.

What is the “c” word?
That would be “cap”. Strong SW flow at it again. It’s still a way out so things can and will change
Cromagnum

txsnowmaker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

What is the “c” word?
don

12z NAM still showing discreet supercells over the area.
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-04-22 Models NAM 3km CONUS — Pivotal Weather(1).png
Screenshot_2021-04-22 Models NAM 3km CONUS — Pivotal Weather(2).png
txbear

HGX including wording that cap may limit rain for tomorrow, now too. Super dry SW flow that davidiowx alluded to for next week's system as well.

I think i'm looking at the HRRR model correctly for tomorrow, and it doesn't look promising for rain with SW winds aloft and a big drop in the dew point. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
don

Yes,there's a chance especially south of I-10 that the cap may struggle to break.But looking at a few of the 12z mesoscale models and global models most show the cap breaking.But things may be more conditional for the coastal tier of counties.
Cpv17

I’m not sure what y’all are seeing saying we won’t be getting much rain over the next week or so. Models are showing 2-4” for most of us over the next 10 days.
txbear

Thanks, don.

Cpv - just looking at HRRR and what's available currently for WRF compared to what HGX is saying in their discussions. It seems to my amateur eye on the forecast sounding for my general area on the west side has it looking close to a capped situation for tomorrow. I've been pegged the past couple of chances of having anywhere from 1-2", but the cap has limited to that to maybe a 0.1 at its very best. Lucy and the football.

Not saying I'm geared up for an outbreak, but rain sure would help take the ease of the sprinklers. Pines around are also looking a bit parched in color.
Cpv17

txbear wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:50 am Thanks, don.

Cpv - just looking at HRRR and what's available currently for WRF compared to what HGX is saying in their discussions. It seems to my amateur eye on the forecast sounding for my general area on the west side has it looking close to a capped situation for tomorrow. I've been pegged the past couple of chances of having anywhere from 1-2", but the cap has limited to that to maybe a 0.1 at its very best. Lucy and the football.

Not saying I'm geared up for an outbreak, but rain sure would help take the ease of the sprinklers. Pines around are also looking a bit parched in color.
I think we’ll get our fair share of rain over the next few weeks. Things are looking pretty promising from what I see. Best they’ve looked in a while.
Cpv17

Latest Euro run is quite interesting.
  • Information