May 2021:

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

It’s incredible how fast the atmosphere is recharging today. Just spent about 30 min outside and it already almost feels like it’s juiced back up out there and wants to start raining again. This is one prolific event down here in Wharton County. Dang near a foot of rain has already fallen here.
DoctorMu

The low is spinning in dry mid level air while the jet splits. We're going to have a complex forecast this afternoon and evening

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/s ... &length=24
davidiowx

DoctorMu wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:20 pm The low is spinning in dry mid level air while the jet splits. We're going to have a complex forecast this afternoon and evening

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/s ... &length=24
Yeah. A lot will depend on what can fill in between that line out west and our area. It could end up being just a line of storms or not even that. Watch and see type thing
Cromagnum

Is that blob out near San Antonio the focal point for this evening?
DoctorMu

Cromagnum wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:49 pm Is that blob out near San Antonio the focal point for this evening?
Almost like a mega dry line coming in from the SSW (unusual). Rising shear and CAPE, but not really high yet. Potential for rotation around that low and weak tornadoes and small hail?? Don't think I can remember anything like this situation before.

With daytime heating it should be very interesting.
txbear

That round that just pushed through the west side had to have dropped over an inch (don’t own a rain gauge). Very heavy rain. Wonder if that plus the round this morning will have overworked the atmosphere.
Cromagnum

Sun is full out imby. The next line is starting to get "that look".

davidiowx

Meh, on this last line.. However, some nice and much needed rains to say the least. I’m happy with my 4” and whatever comes with this last wave
djmike

I got a sprinkle yesterday and so far nothing today. As of this moment in Beaumont we have not seen anything that was forecasted for us. May change tonight but right now not holding my breath. Every disturbance since Friday morning has either jumped over us or died out by time it gets to beaumont. Even the San Antonio just west of houston looks to be losing its punch. Oh well, we will see...
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
djmike

Is that our 90% heavy possible severe “main event “ storms we are supposed to get tonight just entering west of houston? Looks kinda puny.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:44 pm It’s incredible how fast the atmosphere is recharging today. Just spent about 30 min outside and it already almost feels like it’s juiced back up out there and wants to start raining again. This is one prolific event down here in Wharton County. Dang near a foot of rain has already fallen here.
I've been busy today - meant to post earlier - but I experienced the same thing at about the same time earlier today. I went out into the garage, and it was cool. Stepped outside from the garage, and it was also cool. Then, about that time, we had some breaks in the clouds and the winds above the surface, from the SE started cranking. It felt like the temp. warmed ten degrees in a few minutes, going from cool to warm and muggy. I was thinking at the time 'this is just like a warm front went through'

I walked through the garage on the way back into the house, and the garage felt cool this time compared to the outside. It happened quick...

Back to now -- watching the radar for one last quick burst
don

The storms moving through right now have the heaviest rain Ive seen here at my house over the last few days with this storm system. :)
DoctorMu

djmike wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm Is that our 90% heavy possible severe “main event “ storms we are supposed to get tonight just entering west of houston? Looks kinda puny.
As the low moves east, it's going to pick up extra Gulf moisture and sling it Beaumont's way in the wee hours.
don

If you didn't get enough rain with this event you wont have to wait long for the next chance of heavy rain.As this Tuesday a front will come through producing either a mcs or squall line. And also producing a quick 1-2+inches of rain over the area. ;)
Cromagnum

The storms near Lake Jackson are tracking NE and are getting feisty.
jasons2k

Yesterday was 1.90”
Today was 1.71”

Storm total 3.61”

Pretty much spot-on with the NWS/HPC etc. Great job!
djmike

Nothing overnight in Beaumont. Figures. 3 day total? 0.23”
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cromagnum

3 day total of 3 inches, finally. That makes 3.5 inches since the freeze.
unome

can almost hear the trees and grass rejoicing
7-day precip.png
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A grand total of 1.75" which the yard appreciates. Time to enjoy a nice warm mostly sunny Spring May day.
  • Information