June 2021:

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:55 pm sounds like some people in here are disappointed when hurricanes dont hit us...I dont get it...do they actually enjoy destruction?
Many of us on here are major weather enthusiasts. We get very excited when bad weather comes our way. I know I do! I’m like a kid in a candy store. Crazy wild weather and sports are my two biggest passions in my life. Now I don’t exactly wish or want for anything to get destroyed or for anyone to get hurt but I’m always down for some crazy weather but there’s a line I have to draw when it comes to that. If it’s going to cause a lot of damage then no thanks!
djmike

As long as I have followed Tropical weather, 30+ years. I think this is the first time Ive ever seen NHC issue a cone to one place when the models are still pointing to another. Wow. I know I know. It’s because of the center reformation and models are STILL confused. And yes its going to La. I know why. BUT...I just have never seen models go one place and an official cone going different. Has this happened before?
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:20 pm
snowman65 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:55 pm sounds like some people in here are disappointed when hurricanes dont hit us...I dont get it...do they actually enjoy destruction?
Many of us on here are major weather enthusiasts. We get very excited when bad weather comes our way. I know I do! I’m like a kid in a candy store. Crazy wild weather and sports are my two biggest passions in my life. Now I don’t exactly wish or want for anything to get destroyed or for anyone to get hurt but I’m always down for some crazy weather but there’s a line I have to draw when it comes to that. If it’s going to cause a lot of damage then no thanks!
Very well stated Cpv17 and could not state it any better. I feel the exact same way.
Rip76

Thinking back in my life of watching tropical systems, the one storm for me (growing up near Galveston), that I would say was the perfect scenario was Claudette in 2003. Right amount of wind and rain for a lover of tropical weather. And maybe Jerry in 1989. (I rode out Jerry in a lawn chair in my friend’s front yard having a couple of Long Island Teas. I wasn’t 21.
DoctorMu

djmike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm As long as I have followed Tropical weather, 30+ years. I think this is the first time Ive ever seen NHC issue a cone to one place when the models are still pointing to another. Wow. I know I know. It’s because of the center reformation and models are STILL confused. And yes its going to La. I know why. BUT...I just have never seen models go one place and an official cone going different. Has this happened before?
As a rank amateur but another enthusiast (I might have been a meteorologist if my alma mater had the major) I'm within 50 mi of the NHC prediction. 8-)
Attachments
XCf9Mki.png
500hvv.conus-1-1.png
500hvv.conus-1-1.png (315.63 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
jasons2k

DoctorMu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:44 pm
djmike wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm As long as I have followed Tropical weather, 30+ years. I think this is the first time Ive ever seen NHC issue a cone to one place when the models are still pointing to another. Wow. I know I know. It’s because of the center reformation and models are STILL confused. And yes its going to La. I know why. BUT...I just have never seen models go one place and an official cone going different. Has this happened before?
As a rank amateur but another enthusiast (I might have been a meteorologist if my alma mater had the major) I'm within 50 mi of the NHC prediction. 8-)
Close enough. Your 500mb height chart is off by 24-hours at landfall, so we won't hold it against you :lol: :lol:
DoctorMu

TBF, it works at landfall, too. :lol:
Attachments
500hvv.conus-2.png
Cpv17

The long range GFS has been hinting at another system entering the Gulf in about 2 weeks from now. Probably won’t happen but thought it was worth mentioning.
djmike

Ok, Im over 92L. Next...

So what’s moisture looking like for this upcoming Sunday through Tuesday? NWS LC is showing 70% coverage for Beaumont, so hopefully its it doest get chipped away day by day as we get closer which now seems to be the new norm in our area of TX.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Stratton20

CPV17 Anything beyond 7-10 days in the GFS just gets ignored , not even worth watching
  • Information