Blake Mathews Leaving KHOU

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Well you guys, the time has come: my last on-air day at KHOU will be June 30th.

The reasons for my departure are both professional and personal. 1. I miss my partner and I desperately want to be with him in Florida. 2 I’m ready to take on a M-F position which is an advancement in my career and allows me to spend time with Nick (partner).

It’s fair to say that we have been through the worst of the worst together: Harvey, Imelda and several winter storms—namely the February event.

I consider myself to be very privileged to have worked not only in a top 10 market but also in my own hometown where not only my parents could see me but also my school teachers and my friends and their families. The last five years have been an incredible experience which not only made me a more seasoned meteorologist but also lent its hand in educating me and polishing me.

I absolutely will miss Houston but I miss my partner more than you’ll ever know and my personal life needs to take precedence for the time being.

Finally, a word to those who want to get this business: it is very rewarding, it is fun, it’s unique and at times very challenging. However, there are many drawbacks including no say in where you live, crappy hours and schedule and working weekends and holidays amongst others. For those who think you’re going to be rich, you’re dreaming. Can you make a lot of money doing this? Absolutely. However 90% won’t. Are you the lucky 10%? If you want to do tv weather, do it because you love the job because the other drawbacks are difficult to live with long term.

Soon you’ll meet not one but two new meteorologists that KHOU will be hiring. I’m confident in my absence you’ll still be in good hands.

-Blake
Stratton20

Sad to see you leave, but just know that everyone including me who tuned in to watch your live tv weather updates , appreciated it alot, you were always straight to the point and explained many weather concepts well, you will be missed but on the bright aide at least you wont have to worry about anymore arctic blasts while in Florida😂😂
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blake grew up in this online Weather Community and it has been my pleasure to know him personally. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors and I suspect we have not seen the last of Blake Mathews!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
jasons2k

Hi Blake,

Best of luck to you. I remember chatting about the Imperial Oaks weather when you were still at Oak Ridge!

I knew awhile back you were leaving but kept quiet. My youngest son plays baseball with your neighbor Lucas, and Chris and Laura told me the house was up for sale awhile back.

Best of luck to you in Florida. That’s my original home and hope to follow-you down there some day…
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sad to see you go Blake, but I know you will enjoy Florida a lot. We will miss you here in Houston. Keep in touch when you can and best of luck at your new job!
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
unome

Kudos & respect to you, Blake - we'll miss you here, but better horizons loom - best wishes to you and yours !
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Congrats Blake and you will be missed and it was an honor to meet you at the National Tropical Weather Conference. Much respect and you will be excellent at your new job! Take care my friend.
LylaB

Blake, I have been coming to the forum for a long time and remember when you were on here getting through school and getting the KHOU job. You are a great meteorologist and from what I can tell a pretty awesome guy to know. Sometimes you have to give up things for the people you love and that's okay -I admire you for doing it. I wish you all the best and thank you for the excellent job you did for us here in Houston.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

We will miss you. Please come and hang out here. You will always be a part of us. Sniff, we remember you so long ago...:)
Rip76

Congratulations Blake. You have to do what your heart and gut tell you to do. Good luck in everything you do.
  • Information