August 2021: Major Hurricane Ida/SE Louisiana Landfall

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

DoctorMu thats a stretch , with the front stalled their still will be a chance for rain the next few days, youll get your chance🙂👍
jasons2k

0.00" here. Hosing down the pool tonight but I'm not complaining. Beats in - it's all good. :)
unome

forecast temps to barely break 90 in 1st week of August - I'll take it !

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/1 ... 3352412160
A stalled frontal boundary across our southern counties will serve as a focus for showers and thunderstorms today. A brief lull in activity mid-morning, but will pick back up again this afternoon. Isolated and localized heavy rainfall possible.
1 - Copy.jpg
DoctorMu

Stratton20 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 pm DoctorMu thats a stretch , with the front stalled their still will be a chance for rain the next few days, youll get your chance🙂👍
How long have you lived around here?

Houston can see isolated showers due to the sea breeze, but over the 30 years I've lived in College Station - it doesn't usually get rain until the end of August, unless something tropical is brewing. With the front sagging offshore now - you never know.

Slight chance of showers here Thursday and Friday - I'm not holding my breath

The good news: Am enjoying more clouds, a northerly breeze and highs near 90°F instead of 100°F! :lol:
Stratton20

DoctorMu it could be worse! I used to live in the Middle East where we saw only 1 day of rain out of the 2 years that I lived their, though I am attending Texas A&M University In College Station on the Fall ao I will probably share your pain of little rain😂😂
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:20 am DoctorMu it could be worse! I used to live in the Middle East where we saw only 1 day of rain out of the 2 years that I lived their, though I am attending Texas A&M University In College Station on the Fall ao I will probably share your pain of little rain😂😂
What is your major Stratton? Meteorology?
Stratton20

Tireman4 my Major is Environmental Studies, Weather is more of a personal Hobby🙂
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:11 pm Tireman4 my Major is Environmental Studies, Weather is more of a personal Hobby🙂
Well, you know..you "could" double major, young man!! :P
Stratton20

Tireman4 Yep I could but meteorology requires some pretty advanced math courses and I can certainly say that I am not a math person😂😂😂 besides I like having weather as a hobby because I can inform my friends and family of any weather events ( severe storms, hurricanes, heat etc.) And also Im learning alot more about the factors that go into these weather events in this chat section, so that is pretty awesome in itself
Kingwood36

What are the rain chances looks like Friday evening and Saturday evening?
Pas_Bon

Kingwood36 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:07 pm What are the rain chances looks like Friday evening and Saturday evening?
About 40% is my guess, but there's only a 50% chance of that
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:35 pm Tireman4 Yep I could but meteorology requires some pretty advanced math courses and I can certainly say that I am not a math person😂😂😂 besides I like having weather as a hobby because I can inform my friends and family of any weather events ( severe storms, hurricanes, heat etc.) And also Im learning alot more about the factors that go into these weather events in this chat section, so that is pretty awesome in itself
This resonates with me for sure. I would love to be a meteorologist but that is one tough degree and I’m not a very book smart person. Always struggled with school. Tried to go to college a few different times but could never find the focus and motivation/determination to actually stick with it for any sort of length of time. I get discouraged too easily and give up when things get tough. I pretty much gave up on that route in my life and settled for a job working for Fort Bend County sweating my butt off and doing some hard physical labor for hardly any money. My parents always preached to me that I need to get a job with a good retirement and that’s about all my job has to offer. I’ve always said I’m going to use this job as a stepping stone though that’ll eventually land me something better and who knows maybe one day I will end up going back to school. I’m still relatively young. Definitely wishing you the best of luck with college.
Stratton20

CPV17 Thank you! College isnt for everyone, but you do what ever best makes you happy! Thats how I see it, and besides im already-learning so much about the weather from people on here, its practically free learning LOL!
TexasBreeze

Won't be seeing clear blue skies with all of this smoke up in the atmosphere easily seen on evening visible satellite.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210803-193526.jpg
Cpv17

TexasBreeze wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 pm Won't be seeing clear blue skies with all of this smoke up in the atmosphere easily seen on evening visible satellite.
Where’s that coming from?
Cpv17

It looks like things are about to start popping in the tropics. Hopefully nothing gets in the western Gulf. Water temps are about 86-89°F. The 18z GFS ensembles look interesting.
TexasBreeze

I read some forecast discussions from north and west Tx a couple days ago saying it originates from northwestern US and western Canadian wildfires.
Haven't seen a drop of rain since last week. So much for the 60 plus percentages.
Stratton20

CPV17 saw that, GEFS ensemble hinting at some potential tropical mischief around the 13-14th, way far out but something to watch
Cpv17

I had to go back to my job in Rosenberg tonight to lock up for an event and wow, did they get a rain over there! I’m guessing they got every bit of 4” there if not more. It was a lake! Then on my way back home I ran into it and was driving back down 59 south and could barely see anything in front of me. Had to slow down to 30mph. I get back to my house and of course we haven’t gotten anything. Figures.
JDsGN

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:59 am I had to go back to my job in Rosenberg tonight to lock up for an event and wow, did they get a rain over there! I’m guessing they got every bit of 4” there if not more. It was a lake! Then on my way back home I ran into it and was driving back down 59 south and could barely see anything in front of me. Had to slow down to 30mph. I get back to my house and of course we haven’t gotten anything. Figures.
Yeah every time i checked the radar in the evening that big red cell was just sitting on that area for at least 2 hours.
  • Information