September 2021: Hurricane Nicholas

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

redneckweather your probably going to have to wait a good 7-10 days before we get any sort of “fall front” in here, models are hinting at a front in the day 9-10 window but that is far out
Kingwood36

Finally! I have power! Been without I since 9 pm lastnight. Cut down 2 full tree's that fell..1 fell on my fence and the other missed my house by 6 ft..hell of a day! Glad it's over! Sorry but we are CLOSED for the rest of the season!
Rhodesk75

Lake Jackson here…I’ll say this, Nick was **MUCH** worse than we were expecting. Actually, we got almost 100% OPPOSITE of what we expected. We were prepared for up to 15”-20” of rain and not much of a wind event—-WRONG!! Oh, it rained, but nothing like expected. No standing water anywhere this morning. Maybe in overgrown ditches that just hadn’t had culverts cleaned out to allow drainage. Bastrop Bayou was out of its banks in several areas in Angleton this morning, but that’s nothing new. But the WINDS….HOLY MOTHER OF NATURE, y’all…THE WINDS!! Lake Jackson, “The City of Enchantment” is hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of trees less enchanting today. The downed trees, blocked roads (OURS!), the roofs with trees through them, fences smashed by trees…I’ve never seen anything like it before. I was here for Alicia, Rita, Ike, Allison, Harvey…and many other TS and hurricanes and while there was definitely (obvious) damage with all of them, the destruction, uprooted trees, and debris mess with Nicholas is just insane!! We’re nearing 24 hours without power now and CenterPoint has informed the Mayor that it’s looking like a 3 day restore event. Rain was blowing into my chimney and flooding my living room, blew through the sunroof of my husbands truck and absolutely soaked the entire interior, we were prisoners of two trees across our neighborhood streets until after noon today. Then, we got a call from the RV storage facility in Angleton, where we keep our RV (P.S. that we’ve only just made the FIRST payment on in August ), that they had sustained significant damage and needed all of the owners to come assess their RV’s. Y’all, the roofs of each covered spot was peeled back like a tuna can, poles/beams/tin was crushing many of the roof ac’s or had crushed the roofs of the RV’s….then, there sat ours…storage roof gone, ground support beam nearly uprooted and leaning…without a single scratch…ready for her next adventure! THANK YOU, JESUS!!!
We don’t have any power and I don’t know how many days we can depend on this generator to keep 3 freezers and 2 refrigerators of groceries good, but that can all be replaced. I would like a good shower, a decent meal and some SLEEP!! And from this point forward, I’ll definitely plan for TWO categories above the prediction! Lol!
DoctorMu

djmike wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:44 pm Overall Im pleased with the outcome here in the Golden Triangle. I got 6.18” so far and still misty. No flooding. Sporadic outages but no damage. Heard transformers popping this morning but all have stopped now. Hopefully those that got damage are ok and prayers for them. Now…on to fall… whens the next possible front??
Good to hear. Just mist and coolish temps here. Am going to go water some of the back and drag the hose around.
Cpv17

It would’ve been much worse for everyone had this storm went further northwest instead of hugging the coastline. Pretty crazy track.
TexasBreeze

It could have been a real bad core event all day if it wasn't for shear and drier air degrading it through the day!
Cpv17

TexasBreeze wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:15 pm It could have been a real bad core event all day if it wasn't for shear and drier air degrading it through the day!
Honestly, with the SST setup, had it had favorable environmental conditions, it could’ve became a major. Also, the center reformation Sunday evening gave it at least 12 less hours over water.
DoctorMu

More misty rain off and on with those tiny, iconic tropical droplets. Clouds are low and the radar is not picking up the rain. Amazing backside stuff. Nicholas had quite a few tricks up its sleeve, including that right turn on the coast once landfall was made.

lol, better turn off the hand sprinkler in the backyard!
Texaspirate11

We got many trees down. Street flooding and crazy winds but never lost power. Eye went over us around 3 am
7 inches in nassau bay. Kemah really took a hit
Just because you're disabled, you don't have to be a victim
Be Weather Aware & Prepared!
Barbara Jordan Winner in Media
Disability Integration Consultant
djmike

I needed that. After days of watching Nicholas, I was exhausted yesterday mentally. Took me a nap that lasted well into the night. Im guessing with it so quite in here many of you did the same. Lol. On to drier COOLER weather. ….unfortunately hurricane season is not over. Like Delta last year for Beaumont happened in early October. Have a great day everyone!
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
  • Information