wxdata Dan Meador 1951-2010

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Met Tech
Pro Met
Pro Met

Sorry about the loss of Dan. I never knew him, but he sounded like a great guy which is apparent by the feelings I see here. Wish I'd signed up here earlier and had the chance to interact with him.
mikey970

this is a tough day for all friends and fans of dan....his soothing voice during weathercasts were wonderful....he was a wonderful man and person and my heart and prayers go out to his friends and family......one of the nicest ...sweeetest guys you ever what to meet.....god bless you dan and your family......you were one of a kind......
perk

You know i've read just about every post about Dan over the last couple of days, and i thought that on this forum we may not agree on how strong or where a storm may go, or whether or not it will snow in Houston, but one thing that we could all agree on is that Dan touched the people he knew personally and those he never met in the most positive of ways.
polisciaggie

I was very shocked when I opened up KHOU's webpage yesterday and read the article. I always remember having conversations with him on the phone when I called in my weather report. He was one of a kind! RIP Dan.
weatherguy425
Pro Met
Pro Met

I wasss stunned when I found out! Dan, we love you... rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
WeatherGAGA

This is my first post but Dan RIP.
Mr. T

I'm just in a lot of shock and disbelief here, man... He was taken way too young

I first staggered upon this forum in late 2004. Since that time, Dan was definitely been a very inspiring and helpful person to know through my years of high school. No matter how silly and idiotic a question that I asked would seem, Dan would not hesitate to answer. I don't think he has really ever became agitated or angry at anyone on here (wish I could say the same thing about myself). He was never shy with helping out anyone, and he seemed like such a caring individual. We have all certainly lost one hell of a guy, and I'm sure Dan's footprints on this forum will never leave. He really is the reason why we are all here today. Back when he was the only admin and pro met on this forum, he was willing to help out and answer anyone, keeping a friendly, inviting attitude along the way that helped build up the forum to what it is today.

Although I was only able to meet with him during a short period several years ago, I can see from what others are saying about him in real life that he was indeed as he seemed behind the computer screen. It was a very fun time we all had back at the KHOU studio, and I only wish we could have met once again...

Remember his favorite saying "Pandora's box"? Or "Dan's magic?"? Good times, man... So many events we've all been through together -- when I have time, I would love to go back and relieve some of those times. Just too many things to remember about right now.

I know that what he was battling was a very painful disease, and I am relieved that the pain is now gone. For that, we can all be happy for.

RIP Dan. And, thank you for everything

-- Tyler
shesnotthere

"...suddenly you were gone...
from all the lives you left your mark upon..."
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Meador family, the KHOU family and all the wonderful folks on this forum. Dan was one of a kind and we were truly blessed to have him. I never had the opportunity to meet him, I don't interact much on the forum, but just like all of us, I still feel like I've lost a friend. You will not be forgotten.
Mention this to me
Mention something, mention anything...
...and watch the weather change.
-MJK
txflagwaver

Well said AZ...well said.
Lonestar10

I had the pleasure of working with Dan for many years at KHOU. He was always a professional with a keen sense of humor...both qualities that are sorely missed by everyone who knew him.

There's no doubt that Dan is in a place with a great view of the weather.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Goodbye, Friend. I am very sad. I had the honor to meet Dan and enjoyed my visit with him.

Rest soundly, friend. Dan, I will one day see you again. I know I haven't spoken to you much before and today, you've entered the golden door. Tell Jesus I said hello. I'm sure the place is grand. With a heavy heart I say goodbye as I take a breath and try not to cry. The angles rejoice and the songs are being sung. It is so unfortunate that the good die young.

Blake
svrwx0503
Pro Met
Pro Met

I am truly saddened and have been walking around with a rather empty feeling inside since hearing of the news of Dan's passing. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him in person but did exchange ideas via e-mail and pm's. Dan was the main reason why I joined this forum back in 2005 when I was just a junior in high school and I learned a lot about forecasting by reading his posts. The meteorological community has taken a big loss with the passing of Dan. Rest well Dan and thank you so much for everything.
kayci

PsuWNMatt wrote:Matt (Weathernerd17) here...I am in absolute shock and deeply saddened by the news...When I first heard, I honestly couldn't hold back the tears...One of the greatest men I have had the privilege of getting to know over the past 7 years and someone who has been a great friend to me through the best and worst times on this board. When I first became a member on this board, he went out of his way to make me feel "part of the family" back in 2003 and although I'm not on this board as much as I use to, he always makes me feel like a part of the KHOU family. But Dan was more than a friend to me...He was a great teacher...He has greatly contributed to my development as a meteorologist and I will never forget all the times he went out of his way to explain something to me...And just recently, only 3 months ago, he helped me improve my on-air presence by going over my resume tapes with me piece by piece...Dan was such a great, positive friend to me over the past several years and I will never forget all the good that he has not only done to me, but to everyone around him. He has the biggest heart I know and someone who I will never forget...I'm going to miss you Dan...Rest in peace. :cry:
Matt, I couldn't have said it better, I remember when you were a young "buck" in High School, just graduating and planning big dreams, Dan guided you the entire way!! ... hugs to you and all the pro-mets out there who have had a personal 'touch' with Dan. ((((HUGS)))) and love.. keep in touch with me please on Facebook, Karen.....
Baseballdude2915

What a state of shock. I have been here since early 2007 as a lurker. Then, I had just finished my freshman year of HIGH school. Now i am a Freshman @ UH!!

The KHOU weather forum has been my weather home for the past years. Dan was one of, if not the member i had the most respect and interest in reading. He really simplified things and my understanding of the science behind meteorology is greater due to Mr.Meador. I know he is watching the weather from above now. Maybe he will send something interesting this way. We'll miss you Dan. Its been fun.
singlemom

I am so very sorry to hear of Dan's passing. I'm going to miss Dan. He is one of the reasons I joined this forum not *so* long ago. What an amazing legacy he created both on air and with this forum. He will be missed in so many ways. If only I could touch so many lives as he did.
tgal

Due to some personal issues I have been away from reading this board since late August when I read that Dan was ill. I am saddened by the loss of Dan Meador. As with many on this board I didn't personally know him although I felt like I did from watching him on TV all those years and from intently reading every post he made in these forums. From the days of being Dan Meador KHOU to weatherdata I always knew that he was giving his best to this forum just so we could have a heads up about what was coming at us. I will never forget his calm but insistent warnings when IKE was headed toward Texas. He, along with the other Pros here, made sure we were prepared even when the traditional media told us we could ignore this one in our area. Each weather system that came our way he used as a tool to teach and laugh with those on this board.

RIP Mr. Meador. We will miss you
biggerbyte

It does not seem possible. I think about it all the time. It just shows how fragile life really is, and at any time any of us could be suddenly facing death. I hope Dan was not afraid. He has truly touched the lives of so many.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

An FYI to let folks know that Dan has been made Honorary Member Of The Month by our friends over on Storm2k. What a fitting tribute to our friend...

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic ... 9&t=109427
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
biggerbyte

Thanks for the link.. Touching, indeed.
BB
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was privileged to have a long conversation today with Doc. He recalled 21 years, as a team working closely and privately with Dan. One thing he stated was the importance of the Weather Forum. He restated what we all knew, that this was his joy! He would call Doc over to see a ‘post’ or something happening in the Forum. We agree that this Weather Forum is a tangible Legacy to Dan Meador, our friend.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
  • Information