May 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
User avatar
captainbarbossa19
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Location: Starkville, MS
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by captainbarbossa19 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:14 pm

12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.

User avatar
jasons2k
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: Imperial Oaks
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by jasons2k » Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm

Hot one today…
Attachments
AAB17DC2-4E93-4B76-B16F-3C76F93A6DC5.jpeg

User avatar
jasons2k
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: Imperial Oaks
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by jasons2k » Fri May 27, 2022 4:53 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:14 pm
12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.
There are a number of analogs to 2005 for hurricane season as well. Folks need to be prepared.

I can’t believe it’s been 17 years. That’s the year we moved here (the third time for me) and we had Rita and the evacuation right after Katrina. That season set a new bar and yet we have had a few more seasons now that were close.

A number of things stick out from that season (and 2004 also). The forums were so busy. And while we had access to all sorts of things on the internet in prior seasons, 2004-2005 seemed like the beginning of a new era with an explosion of 24/7 updates and a quantum leap forward in model accuracy.

I’ll always remember what the GFDL did with Katrina over Florida. And before too long that model went into the dumpster. We’ve come a long way…that’s for sure…but we can’t take any forecast for granted.

Cpv17
Posts: 3603
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: El Campo/Wharton
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by Cpv17 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm

jasons2k wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm
Hot one today…
Is it so much hotter in your area compared to mine because of all the concrete around you? Urban vs rural…

User avatar
captainbarbossa19
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Location: Starkville, MS
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by captainbarbossa19 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:13 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm
jasons2k wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm
Hot one today…
Is it so much hotter in your area compared to mine because of all the concrete around you? Urban vs rural…
Yeah I was only 92 today.

User avatar
captainbarbossa19
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Location: Starkville, MS
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by captainbarbossa19 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:17 pm

jasons2k wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:53 pm
captainbarbossa19 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:14 pm
12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.
There are a number of analogs to 2005 for hurricane season as well. Folks need to be prepared.

I can’t believe it’s been 17 years. That’s the year we moved here (the third time for me) and we had Rita and the evacuation right after Katrina. That season set a new bar and yet we have had a few more seasons now that were close.

A number of things stick out from that season (and 2004 also). The forums were so busy. And while we had access to all sorts of things on the internet in prior seasons, 2004-2005 seemed like the beginning of a new era with an explosion of 24/7 updates and a quantum leap forward in model accuracy.

I’ll always remember what the GFDL did with Katrina over Florida. And before too long that model went into the dumpster. We’ve come a long way…that’s for sure…but we can’t take any forecast for granted.
I hear you. I remember seeing the cone heading towards my area for Rita and thinking it was strong, but Laura in 2020 scared me more honestly. I really thought that storm was going to be a direct hit around High Island until it turned and hit around Cameron.

User avatar
jasons2k
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:54 pm
Location: Imperial Oaks
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by jasons2k » Fri May 27, 2022 8:21 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:15 pm
jasons2k wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm
Hot one today…
Is it so much hotter in your area compared to mine because of all the concrete around you? Urban vs rural…
I believe so, yes. My station is also wedged between two houses. Still, the readings around me are very similar.!

Cromagnum
Posts: 1913
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 pm
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by Cromagnum » Sat May 28, 2022 12:17 pm

Returned to this hell after a few days in Michigan. If it weren't for the equally cold days during the winter in the north, I would totally move. Maybe I need to have two homes.

User avatar
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3692
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 pm
Location: Humble, Texas
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by tireman4 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:12 pm

I can attest to how hot it was. Had to officiate an outdoor swim meet from 8 30 am to 1 30 pm

User avatar
DoctorMu
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:58 am
Location: College Station
Contact:

Re: May 2022

Post by DoctorMu » Sat May 28, 2022 4:52 pm

97 in Cll today. 95 yesterday. DP in the 60s during the day.

We’re up in Minnesota’s. 70s and 80s for highs Rains have been early am and the clearing,

Post Reply