August 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
biffb816

So does a disturbance like the one going into south Texas do anything to sort of churn the Gulf energy and lessen the chances of a major storm, at least in the short term?
jasons2k

Picked-up a quick .20”
Yes! Just enough to keep me from watering the lawn until the front.
jasons2k

biffb816 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:44 am So does a disturbance like the one going into south Texas do anything to sort of churn the Gulf energy and lessen the chances of a major storm, at least in the short term?
This system was too weak to make a difference. We’ll already need an eye on the stalling front next weekend.
Stratton20

Agreed with Jasons2k, a weak system really tends to not make much of a difference in terms of mixing up the water temperatures that much, GFS has a weak tropical system in the BOC next week while the Euro has a weak low moving into south texas next week, something to watch , combine that with a stalling front, things could get interesting next week
don

Next week does look interesting indeed as models have been very consistent on a front stalling over the state and leaving a weakness over us.The EURO and GFS also show a tropical wave moving into the western gulf and being pulled north by the weakness sitting over the state.Could see some widespread rains for multiple days with this setup.And maybe even some tropical mischief.An interesting week ahead to see how it all plays out,but this is the best signal I've seen for rain here in a while.
DoctorMu

It's tropical humid in CLL this morning. There's an outer "band" of the Gulf mess ready to hit the AggieDome wal.

Yesterday again, a few showers in the area, but another outflow and 5 drops of rain was all IMBY.

Next week's front begins a "wetter" pattern although it's iffy we see much needed rain in CLL Thursday and Friday. Yeah, NWS has gone much drier on the forecast. fml
Stratton20

DoctorMu ive stopped putting much faith into the NWS forecasts, they are a joke lol
Rip76

That low is pretty wrapped up this morning.
djmike

No showers in Beaumont from Blob #2. Glad to see Houston getting a few tail slaps. South Texas needed this go round. Maybe we will be next week. My partner just drove through the blob about 2 hours ago and said driving is treacherous. Is coming back from the valley. Flooding all around south of Corpus. One area I see has already received over 10” thus far. Will probably start seeing footage on news and fb….Anyway, this humidity today is off the charts. Im outside no more than 5 minutes and its like Niagara Falls of sweat dripping. Hope the so called front will make a difference. Have a relaxing Sunday my friends. Take time to relax! Going to be a hot week ahead.
Last edited by djmike on Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
djmike

Rip76 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:39 pm That low is pretty wrapped up this morning.
I thought same thing. Looks just like a tropical storm as far as clouds and the wraparounds. If blob #2 had probably 12-24 more hours over water, she may have been something a little stronger.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
DoctorMu

Donut-holed again on the bands, which are now drying up.
captainbarbossa19

Hey y'all! I have officially moved now to Starkville. The drive up here featured some scattered showers but it's nice and dry here right now. Looking forward to a great semester coming up studying my favorite subject--weather!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:21 pm Hey y'all! I have officially moved now to Starkville. The drive up here featured some scattered showers but it's nice and dry here right now. Looking forward to a great semester coming up studying my favorite subject--weather!
Congratulations! Do us proud captainbarbossa19!!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fall has made an appearance this weekend in the Smoky Mountains. Our morning temperatures in the high valleys have been in the low to mid 50's with higher elevations around 5K and above in the 40’s. My high temperature yesterday and today were in the mid 70's. Starting to see some early leaf colors above 5000 ft with some scattered reds and oranges. Our summer is over for the most part here. Not too much longer for you SE Texas folks either. I'm seeing some early indication that locales East of the Rockies might be much cooler and potentially stormier with this 3rd year La Nina. Fingers crossed!
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
brazoriatx

Wasnt last winter a la Nina? It stopped us from actually getting cold....ugh not again!
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

brazoriatx wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:14 pm Wasnt last winter a la Nina? It stopped us from actually getting cold....ugh not again!
And the winter before last. Everyone remembers the debacle with the usually cold outbreak and no power. There are signals of a trough setting up for prolonged periods across the Northern Rockies into the Great Plains on East. I'm watching the mid to late December time frame into January for and active period for Texas.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
cperk

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:32 pm Fall has made an appearance this weekend in the Smoky Mountains. Our morning temperatures in the high valleys have been in the low to mid 50's with higher elevations around 5K and above in the 40’s. My high temperature yesterday and today were in the mid 70's. Starting to see some early leaf colors above 5000 ft with some scattered reds and oranges. Our summer is over for the most part here. Not too much longer for you SE Texas folks either. I'm seeing some early indication that locales East of the Rockies might be much cooler and potentially stormier with this 3rd year La Nina. Fingers crossed!
srainhoutx it's nice to hear from you,but i have to say i'm envious of that great weather you are getting and praying you are right concerning our upcoming Fall and Winter weather. :)
Cpv17

brazoriatx wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:14 pm Wasnt last winter a la Nina? It stopped us from actually getting cold....ugh not again!
Last winter wasn’t that bad. We had a couple of cold snaps and one in particular was really cold I believe in early February. The reason why last winter wasn’t that cold though is because we had an unfavorable EPO. The blocking just wasn’t there for a good part of the winter.
DoctorMu

srainhoutx wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:23 pm
And the winter before last. Everyone remembers the debacle with the usually cold outbreak and no power. There are signals of a trough setting up for prolonged periods across the Northern Rockies into the Great Plains on East. I'm watching the mid to late December time frame into January for and active period for Texas.
La Nina winters are drier but less predictable re: cold snaps, snow.

Send some s-rain our way!!
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:55 pm
Last winter wasn’t that bad. We had a couple of cold snaps and one in particular was really cold I believe in early February. The reason why last winter wasn’t that cold though is because we had an unfavorable EPO. The blocking just wasn’t there for a good part of the winter.
February was colder than normal in CLL. Easily. The winter was just fine.
  • Information