August 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

CPV17 down to 992 Mb wow, very unlikely but atranger things have happened with these gulf systems
jasons2k

You gotta be kidding me! NWS sliced my 80% chance of rain today in HALF down to 40%. How does that happen in one update? Wow. Just wow. Talk about feeling jilted at the altar!!
jasons2k

I knew that word “IF” was goiing to come back to bite us…
However, with this inverted trough forecast to be a little stronger, it should focus majority of the activity near the coast and offshore this afternoon. Therefore, PoPs have tapered off north of Harris County today and daytime highs have been bumped up a few degrees for our northern counties as well.
By Saturday morning, hi-res models are hinting at a weak low developing south of our CWA and in the Gulf and pushing inland somewhere near Brownsville/Corpus by late Saturday night and into Sunday morning. Once again, this will focus most of the rainfall further south and offshore than previously forecast.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:18 am You gotta be kidding me! NWS sliced my 80% chance of rain today in HALF down to 40%. How does that happen in one update? Wow. Just wow. Talk about feeling jilted at the altar!!
The writing was on the table yesterday. Better chances south of I-10.
cperk

Cpv17 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:52 am
jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:18 am You gotta be kidding me! NWS sliced my 80% chance of rain today in HALF down to 40%. How does that happen in one update? Wow. Just wow. Talk about feeling jilted at the altar!!
That would be us. :D
Cromagnum

Been hearing loud thunder all night and again this morning from the cells that have stayed just north of me so far.
jasons2k

Most of us already knew it but one can hold out hope until the NWS pulls it. I was surprised they were still 80% in yesterday’s package but was hoping they saw something I didn’t. It’s still frustrating. Wednesday was supposed to be just the appetizer for the main event Thursday and Friday. I knew things would congeal offshore and rob us again. Happens way too often.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:56 am

Most of us already knew it but one can hold out hope until the NWS pulls it. I was surprised they were still 80% in yesterday’s package but was hoping they saw something I didn’t. It’s still frustrating. Wednesday was supposed to be just the appetizer for the main event Thursday and Friday. I knew things would congeal offshore and rob us again. Happens way too often.
Yeah it looks like the main event will be from Victoria to Corpus. They need the rain as well too. I gotta go to Aransas Pass today to spread some fertilizer. Hopefully the rain will hold off.
jasons2k

When you read the SCW blog they completely ignore that today was supposed to be a big rainmaker. They just pretend it wasn't so and move right on to the next.
ajurcat

Last night we received a surprising .92" in the Jersey Village area. We will gladly take it.
jasons2k

Update from Jeff Lindner:
Trough axis and mid level low pressure system over the northern Gulf of Mexico will drift westward over the weekend and into the lower TX coast.

Satellite images, coastal radars, and offshore buoys/oil platforms indicate an elongated trough axis that extends off the coast of TX ENE toward the MS/AL coast with scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms along this boundary. This boundary can be traced back to the “front” that moved through the area with thunderstorms on Wednesday evening. A mid level low pressure area is located over SE LA and is moving slowly westward. Over the last few days, the ICON global model has been suggesting surface low pressure may begin to develop with the mid level circulation as it moves westward over the weekend and several of the higher resolution models also show various degrees of surface low pressure formation very near the TX coast on Saturday. Overnight both the GFS and ECWMF models have also trended toward some slight formation of lowering pressures along the TX coast this weekend. While the upper level winds are favorable for development near the TX coast, it is most likely that the mid level low will not have enough time to work down toward the surface before moving inland late Saturday into Sunday between Brownsville and Corpus Christi.

The National Hurricane Center is indicating a 10% chance of development over the weekend.

With the mid/low level circulation expected to move W/WSW over the NW Gulf this weekend, it is expected that much of the shower and thunderstorm development will focus near the coast and offshore and this has been suggested by the high resolution models for the last 24 hours. With that said, areas south of I-10 will be well within the deep moisture envelope of the circulation and bands of showers and thunderstorms will be possible at nearly any time over the next 48-72 hours. Greatest chances will be near the coast with lesser chances inland to the north as high pressure and drier air begins to build southward from the northeast. Given PWS of 2.2-2.3 inches and possible cell training a quick 2-3 inches of rainfall in less than an hour will be possible, so while grounds are dry and mostly will be able to handle the rainfall, some street flooding will be possible with those rates.

Tides are already elevated along the coast due to the full moon, but have been coming in below advisory levels at high tide over the last few days. Easterly and southeasterly low level winds on the north side of the surface trough/low may bump seas up a bit over the weekend and push tides a little higher. Still think we will stay below advisory levels, but water will be way up the beaches at high tides over the weekend.

thumbnail_image001.png
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:34 am Been hearing loud thunder all night and again this morning from the cells that have stayed just north of me so far.
I’ve been watching it all morning. Man you just can’t catch a break. Hopefully, today-tomorrow, finally you will get something.
Cromagnum

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am
Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:34 am Been hearing loud thunder all night and again this morning from the cells that have stayed just north of me so far.
I’ve been watching it all morning. Man you just can’t catch a break. Hopefully, today-tomorrow, finally you will get something.
Not looking good. Everything is well to the south and offshore. I see nothing from the north anymore.
JDsGN

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:52 am When you read the SCW blog they completely ignore that today was supposed to be a big rainmaker. They just pretend it wasn't so and move right on to the next.
Pretty typical. I enjoy their forecast but they sorta roll with the punches and rarely go back and explain why their forecast changes drastically or why a strong "no hype" prediction was a bust.

Lotsa thunder and lightening from 12-2 am last night in far NW Cypress but it was just to our SE or just to our NW. Hope we get a stray storm this evening.
jasons2k

Cromagnum wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:49 am
jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am
Not looking good. Everything is well to the south and offshore. I see nothing from the north anymore.
Similar thing here. Been watching this storm up near Conroe all morning drifting this way, gets here and goes poof. Left me with a whopping 0.01”
Attachments
CD69EA7E-0CC3-4ED4-8507-E491C3A73363.jpeg
Last edited by jasons2k on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasons2k

JDsGN wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:56 am
jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:52 am When you read the SCW blog they completely ignore that today was supposed to be a big rainmaker. They just pretend it wasn't so and move right on to the next.
Pretty typical. I enjoy their forecast but they sorta roll with the punches and rarely go back and explain why their forecast changes drastically or why a strong "no hype" prediction was a bust.
I think if I see “After months of hot and dry weather…finally….” again in a blog post, email, or AFD, I might just print it out, tape it to the wall, and throw darts at it :lol: :lol: :lol:
jasons2k

This system is tightening up....we may see some bands forming. The clouds outside going NE look like a band trying to slowly setup now.
user:null

Maybe, just maybe — the typical northeast shift can kick in, and bring rain to more areas (i.e. other than just along/south of I-10).
TexasBreeze

Yup a cell in the central part of the county and some showers going up to the northeast. The key is seeing how widespread they get. maybe similar to yesterday
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:45 am This system is tightening up....we may see some bands forming. The clouds outside going NE look like a band trying to slowly setup now.
We're getting some easterlies from it. *Maybe* a spotty shower passes through this afternoon. Expecting Lucy and the Donut Shop instead...but...
Attachments
easterlies.jpg
  • Information