September 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
cperk

sambucol wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 am
redneckweather wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:30 am GFS is still showing our first decent cold front around the 26th which will keep any system away from us.
If that cold front will even make it down here. If I recall correctly, a cold front was supposed to make it down here in time to keep Hurricane Ike away from us. Nope. The front didn’t make it in time, so I’m not counting on any cold front making it here in time. I hope it does. But not banking on it.
You are so right plus the Icon and the CMC has it missing that trough the Euro is late to the party as usual and the GFS has an east bias
so i'm not buying into it.
tsb2107

Correct, the front made it after Ike. I remember not having power for over two weeks and that cool front really helped cool things down.
redneckweather

sambucol wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:16 am
redneckweather wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:30 am GFS is still showing our first decent cold front around the 26th which will keep any system away from us.
If that cold front will even make it down here. If I recall correctly, a cold front was supposed to make it down here in time to keep Hurricane Ike away from us. Nope. The front didn’t make it in time, so I’m not counting on any cold front making it here in time. I hope it does. But not banking on it.
Correct but that was earlier in September (landfall Sept. 13th) and was a fairly weak front (lowered humidity levels). I'm thinking this will be a pretty legit front being late September. We will see.
Rip76

tsb2107 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:52 am Correct, the front made it after Ike. I remember not having power for over two weeks and that cool front really helped cool things down.
It was like the next day I believe.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

tsb2107 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:52 am Correct, the front made it after Ike. I remember not having power for over two weeks and that cool front really helped cool things down.
Ike helped to pull it down, if memory serves.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

.AVIATION...
(18Z TAF Issuance)
Issued at 1219 PM CDT Tue Sep 20 2022

Light and variable wind will transition to the SE this afternoon
around 5-8 knots. With mostly clear skies and light/variable wind
overnight, areas of fog will be possible at some terminals. Have
included 6SM BR for this package, but lower visibility could be
included in future TAFs, mainly for SGR and LBX sites. Otherwise,
VFR conditions are expected through most of the period.

Cpv17

98L has a very slim chance at coming here. Not concerned about it at all. If this were 2 or 3 weeks back then I’d be more concerned.
Stratton20

Even if its a slim chance it still has to be watched, nothing is close to being set in stone, their is a significant spread in the ensembles still, we need to see where the low forms first, and it depends on the speed of the trough that models are showing picking up 98L in the gulf, if the trough moves out faster than what models are showing, that allows ridging to build in and force this more west, if the trough is slower to move out, 98L will feel the tug more NE and turn towards Florida, but for now Texas is certainly not out of the woods, 10-11 days from any sort of US impacts, alot will and can change, im cautiously optimistic this wont be our problem, but I am absolutely not writing it off either, very complicated forecast ahead
cperk

Nobody has any idea where 98L will be landfalling 10+ days out we've all seen this setup many times a system entering the western caribbean with a trough forecast to drop down and weaken the high enough to induce a turn to the N or NW but the fly in the ointment will be the timing and i've seen many people forecasting this situation 10 days out blowing it big time.
AtascocitaWX

Since we have not had any significate Storm in the Gulf this summer, Those waters are boiling. if this gets into the Gulf, Whoever gets this storm may be dealing with a monster.
  • Information