September 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

Said it last night and I'll repeat - total disaster is unfolding for the Cape Coral area. I hope people got out.
jasons2k

The SW eyewall being stronger reminds me of Ike and how the upper dynamics enhanced that side.
DoctorMu

tireman4 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:59 am From Wxman 57 on S2K..

Note that the NHC's 12-16 ft surge into Port Charlotte/Ft. Myers is for the BEACH. Surge up the Caloosahatchee river into Ft. Myers could be 20-24 ft. See the NHC's inundation graphic for the region. MANY areas under 9+ ft of water this afternoon. Far as I can tell, this will be the worst hurricane ever to strike the area. Charley in 2004 was strong, but tiny compared to Ian. Ian will be retired.
Port Charlotte is going to be crushed. PC and Englewood could be in the eyewall for hours. :shock:

I hope everyone GTFO.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:36 am The SW eyewall being stronger reminds me of Ike and how the upper dynamics enhanced that side.
The backside of Harvey was bad coming into Rockport, too.

Bolvar Pen. wasn't prepared for that backside washover with Ike. Unfortunately, quite a few tried to ride it out.

UTMB was flooded by the backside surge. The seawall held on the Gulf side.
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:32 am Said it last night and I'll repeat - total disaster is unfolding for the Cape Coral area. I hope people got out.
Yeah, Cape Coral is going to see the onshore side of the eyewall. There are winds at 10K of 170+ mph on both the NW and SE sides of the eyewall now. There is no escape.

Oh, partly because of the southern path, but Ian has been virtually immune to the shear winds.

Even if slow moving over land, Ian could pack a punch for a long, long time.
DoctorMu

Ft. Myers Beach is going to be 9 feet underwater.
DoctorMu

Sanibel Island has to be underwater now. Getting crushed.

Venice is in the crosshairs of that northern eyewall.
Stratton20

That wind shear did absolutely nothing, and now their is video footage of people swimming in the storm surge, natural selection at its finest!
DoctorMu

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:42 pm That wind shear did absolutely nothing, and now their is video footage of people swimming in the storm surge, natural selection at its finest!
or now Mike Seidel walking near exposed glass in 155 mph winds in Ft. Myers...jeez.

Everything is a projectile. smh
djmike

Sanibel Island had got to be wiped off the map by now. The island is currently 90% underwater not even really an island anymore currently. Unfortunately I think many like Sanibel and other areas will look like Bolivar after hurricane Ike. Hope folks heeded warning and left. Prayers for FL. We know all too well what they are going through.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
  • Information