December 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
MontgomeryCoWx

On another note, I’m going to have change my name this Summer. We are officially giving up our house here and moving.

It took longer than expected due to Covid and work environment, but we are looking forward to a new era!
Team #NeverSummer
Cpv17

I don’t really like the cold but I just think it’s extremely exciting and I get giddy like a kid in a candy store when there’s a good chance at an extreme weather event. I just like experiencing it. Really gives me something to look forward to and I just can’t get enough of it lol only once in my life did I actually want an extreme event to stop and that was Harvey.

What I would give to experience another 1895 event here in southeast Texas at least just once. I think that would be the highlight of my life lol
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 pm I don’t really like the cold but I just think it’s extremely exciting and I get giddy like a kid in a candy store when there’s a good chance at an extreme weather event. I just like experiencing it. Really gives me something to look forward to and I just can’t get enough of it lol only once in my life did I actually want an extreme event to stop and that was Harvey.

What I would give to experience another 1895 event here in southeast Texas at least just once. I think that would be the highlight of my life lol
1895 makes 1989 look like child’s play, as does 1899.
Team #NeverSummer
Stratton20

I would love another event similar to the 2017 snow event in december when CS got 6 inches of snow, that would be amazing
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:02 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:00 pm I don’t really like the cold but I just think it’s extremely exciting and I get giddy like a kid in a candy store when there’s a good chance at an extreme weather event. I just like experiencing it. Really gives me something to look forward to and I just can’t get enough of it lol only once in my life did I actually want an extreme event to stop and that was Harvey.

1895 makes 1989 look like child’s play, as does 1899.
Yep! Some places in southeast Texas were in the negatives! Unreal :shock:
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 pm On another note, I’m going to have change my name this Summer. We are officially giving up our house here and moving.

It took longer than expected due to Covid and work environment, but we are looking forward to a new era!
Montana?
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:48 pm
user:null wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:42 pm
jasons2k wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:34 pm Here is an old article about the 1980's freezes:
Yep. After last year, I don't think i have any use for any temperatures below 50°F, let alone such manner of freeze. Those back-to-back 80s events, while perhaps a novelty, would thoroughly be devastating to local agriculture, architectural, environmental, etc aspects unused to such intensity — thankfully, I was born late 90s (such that I missed out on all the cold in earlier years).
I was 20 months old in 1983 event. I remember 1989 vividly and it is what sold me on Extreme Winter Weather. I was doing yard work with my Dad in Longview and it was 75 and starting to thunderstorm and a few hours later it was 25 with heavy sleet and snow.

I mentioned before, that in 1983 we were up in the NC mountains and below zero. Houses had less insulation back then. lol those were 3 dog nights.

I didn't mention in 1989, we were in Florida when it snowed in Gainesville and ice shut down the Jacksonville airport.
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:22 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:54 pm On another note, I’m going to have change my name this Summer. We are officially giving up our house here and moving.

Montana?
And Weimar. Work is allowing it, finally. Probably 9 months and 3 month splits. I’ll still have my Aggie season tickets for the 3 majors. ;)

The plan is to see the boys through HS in Weimar. Magnolia is getting too big for me.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:32 pm

Montana?
And Weimar. Work is allowing it, finally. Probably 9 months and 3 month splits. I’ll still have my Aggie season tickets for the 3 majors. ;)

The plan is to see the boys through HS in Weimar. Magnolia is getting too big for me.

Yeah, we were just on 249/Aggie Tollway going back and forth to IAH. WTH is the deal with that bizarre 2 lane section that bypasses Plantersville? It's the only part of 249 until 99 that gets backed up! Why even build it when there will be another 5 years of construction to make that section and 1*5 four lanes?

I guess then Magnolia will really be overrun.
djmike

I agree. I use to LOVE extreme weather and still do to an extent. But Harvey is the first time I was ever praying for the water in my house to stop. Harvey is the first storm that now gives me PTSD if rains hard enough without stopping for a while. I think for me it has a lot to do when I was a kid and didnt have adult responsibilities like a home and car note, I wanted extreme. It was up to my parents to figure out! But as an adult with everything in my name, I thought crap, its now my problem and my money! My house flooded and its a horrible horrible feeling and find my anxiety is extremely high and find myself praying for it to stop. Harvey scarred me for life. I still love extreme weather, but only as long as Im not faced with upcoming problems.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cpv17

djmike wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:23 am

I agree. I use to LOVE extreme weather and still do to an extent. But Harvey is the first time I was ever praying for the water in my house to stop. Harvey is the first storm that now gives me PTSD if rains hard enough without stopping for a while. I think for me it has a lot to do when I was a kid and didnt have adult responsibilities like a home and car note, I wanted extreme. It was up to my parents to figure out! But as an adult with everything in my name, I thought crap, its now my problem and my money! My house flooded and its a horrible horrible feeling and find my anxiety is extremely high and find myself praying for it to stop. Harvey scarred me for life. I still love extreme weather, but only as long as Im not faced with upcoming problems.
Wholeheartedly agree!
MontgomeryCoWx

DoctorMu wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:48 am
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:32 pm

Montana?

Yeah, we were just on 249/Aggie Tollway going back and forth to IAH. WTH is the deal with that bizarre 2 lane section that bypasses Plantersville? It's the only part of 249 until 99 that gets backed up! Why even build it when there will be another 5 years of construction to make that section and 1*5 four lanes?

I guess then Magnolia will really be overrun.
Haha, my wife commented on that. I remember her saying “this is odd” as we passed it the first week it was open.

Magnolia is already over ran. Both schools are about to be 6A and they desperately need a 3rd. In addition, with the circus clowns now running Harris county, the spillover crime is blooming in MoCo and I had to use force recently to scare off a would be problem.

My opinion, of course, but I don’t want to be anywhere near Harris anymore.

As to weather, I’m looking forward to my Summers much more now! :)
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

https://twitter.com/webberweather/statu ... 2211101696

“Global mountain torque getting driven into the floor this week.

Overall, this signals a forthcoming decrease in Atmospheric Angular Momentum (AAMa), favoring slow, meandering jet streams, wave breaking, & high-latitude blocking (-NAO & -EPO) the next few-several weeks”
Team #NeverSummer
redneckweather

MCW, that is a great move getting out of Magnolia and into Colorado County! I sure would like to do the same as well.

Y'all keep the cold talk coming. I would love nothing more than to have a below average cold December. My wife likes to sleep in the cold so we left the window open last night in the bedroom. You could hang meat in our bedroom right now! Love it.
DoctorMu

Land is cheap near Columbus, but I'm on my last nerve about no rain all summer, that's become more and more common over the last decade. The crime rate in Magnolia and Montgomery are lower than Columbus...although Magnolia could get Tomballized. I remember when Tomball was just a tiny country town.

If it were me, I'd think about Montgomery. It's just far enough away from Houston, Tomball, even Conroe where there's not too much bustle...but it's closer to Lake Conroe. It's not completely flat. There are pine trees, live oaks and other trees that will actually grow over 20 ft high. There's more rain/year, especially summer.

In CLL, here are the things weather and horticulture-wise that have become very, very old:
- too hot
- almost no rain in the summer**
- too flat
- few pine trees
- alkaline soil
- alkaline city water
- expensive city water
- expensive power bill
- traffic congestion (because A&M grew from 45K to 75K in less than 15 years) that = mini-Houston

Montgomery isn't North Carolina, but has a bit of its attributes. Two inches more rain than CLL from July - October. It's not a bad drive to CLL. Arguably, Conroe will continue to spread westward.
redneckweather

I live in Conroe and you DO NOT want to live in Conroe or Montgomery if you are wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle. Montgomery and Conroe are pretty much connected now and Highway 105 in-between both is a nightmare.
Cpv17

redneckweather wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:49 pm I live in Conroe and you DO NOT want to live in Conroe or Montgomery if you are wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle. Montgomery and Conroe are pretty much connected now and Highway 105 in-between both is a nightmare.
I think that area is beautiful. Probably the best looking area in all of southeast Texas imo.
DoctorMu

redneckweather wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:49 pm I live in Conroe and you DO NOT want to live in Conroe or Montgomery if you are wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle. Montgomery and Conroe are pretty much connected now and Highway 105 in-between both is a nightmare.
Yeah, that 5-lane section has a lot of traffic lights and commercial congestion. You should see College Station and rush hour today! 2818 is backed up for a mile+. Hwy 6/bypass is stacked. Perry and the BOR have damaged the University and BCS area...and now we're back to Frantastic 4-8 f'ball seasons instead of 8-4.

Montgomery, Livingston, and Lufkin have the highest summer "comfort" levels in the state. Not quite as hot, more rain.

It's too bad houses have gotten so expensive back in NC. I'll have to make the best of it here. 8-)
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:59 pm
I think that area is beautiful. Probably the best looking area in all of southeast Texas imo.
It's pretty. Huntsville, through the Woodlands has the piney woods feel. Better surviving the summers.

The congestion is so bad in BCS now that Montgomery would be a relief!
DoctorMu

Alternatively, I would move to the HIll Country. Kerrville, Marble Falls, near Pipe Creek/Bandera. Put in a rock garden and not rely on sprinkler systems so much.
  • Information