More cold air on the way next week!?

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
C2G

So now the EVENT appears to be more of a central, north Texas and possibly southern plains event? :lol:
don

Its too early to say COULD be a southeast texas event also
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Morning e-mail from Jeff...
Intense meso low moving up the coast this morning with very strong surface winds.

ASOS sites at Pearland and Ellington have been gusting to over 45mph this morning in the small area from Pearland to Baytown and then ESE over Galveston Bay within a region a sharp pressure gradient.

Models have handled this event fairly poorly even with their decent run to run consistency...fact is the surface low is still somewhere over deep S TX and not over the upper TX coast and is much weaker than forecast. Rainfall totals have been more towards the lower end of the forecasted amounts...generally in the .5 to 1.0 inch range. Ground truth gages show 1.0-2.0 inches over S Harris County where 88D is showing between 1-2 inches. Feel the areas of 1 inch on the radar are likely closer to 2 inches especially near the coast and out over our western counties.

Main area of rain is shifting eastward this morning...although radars to the west still show more development...so not ready to clear out all rain chances just yet with 150kt jet nearby and the upper trough still to our west. Passing showers will be possible into tonight and may become more concentrated at times with passing disturbances rotating around the large upper trough over NM.

Tides have remained in fairly good shape overnight with a weaker and still far SW surprised surface low the winds have not increased into gale force over the NW Gulf which has helped to keep tides in the 1-2 foot range. Strong winds over Galveston Bay the past few hours have pushed tides to around 2.0 feet on the west side of the Bay and 1.8-2.0 feet at Clear Lake which is well below any critical thresholds.

Hard pressed to get very excited about clearing Friday or Saturday as GFS traps moisture below 850mb inversion...similar to last weekend. Short term models are showing more clearing and if we can mix enough we may be able to break out on Saturday...hopefully we will as the active storm track over the state looks to bring some nasty stuff next week.

Extended:

Next storm will move into the state on Monday with clouds increasing Sunday and rain starting Monday and continuing into Tuesday. Cold arctic air mass will be unleashed by this system and pour into TX starting Tuesday. Feel all rainfall will end prior to colder air reaching the area...hence all liquid.

Bigger developing trend appears to be highly active southern stream to bring at least 3 more systems over the state post Mon-Tues with cold arctic air in place. Could see multiple winter storm threats middle next week into next weekend with snow/sleet/ice across large parts of the state...this is still 5-7 days away so much can change.

Active weather looks to continue for the next 14 days with storm systems lined up well into the Pacific. Will see chances for rain about every 2-3 days with slim chances of sun between systems. Clouds and rain will continue to keep temperatures below normal for the next 2 weeks with highs next week after Tuesday only in the mid 40's...and possibly colder. Cold and wet winter of 09-10 continues on....
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

brazoria_county22 wrote:I agree, I didnt have ne problems with the conformation code either. They were actually pretty big letters :shock:
When I tried to register yesterday, the numbers/letters were not on a plain background as they are today. There were many horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines and blotches of different colors crossing through the letters and numbers. Made them impossible to see. I could only make out maybe one of the six or seven letters.
Portastorm

wxman57 wrote:
brazoria_county22 wrote:I agree, I didnt have ne problems with the conformation code either. They were actually pretty big letters :shock:
When I tried to register yesterday, the numbers/letters were not on a plain background as they are today. There were many horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines and blotches of different colors crossing through the letters and numbers. Made them impossible to see. I could only make out maybe one of the six or seven letters.
That was my experience as well Wxman57. I took a WAG at the code and got lucky ... very lucky considering I'm color blind which made this exercise even more difficult! :lol:
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ok, let's try a picture on this forum. Here's a meteogram I just made for IAH from the 06Z GFS (midnight last night). It goes out 180 hours (7 1/2 days). It is looking fairly cool toward the end of next week and there is some precip indicated. But I've seen way too much model inconsistency in recent days to have any confidence in how cold it'll get here and if/when any precip will occur:

I modified my spreadsheet to cover the extended part of the GFS forecast - from 180 to 384 hours out. This part has only 12 hr forecast intervals vs. the 3 hr intervals for 0-180 hrs:

srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valentine's Day Weekend looks real interesting, if it verifies...no Ice please...
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:Valentine's Day Weekend looks real interesting, if it verifies...no Ice please...
This weekend may be our only chance of sunshine all month. With that active southern stream we may be in for one storm after another. The main issue as far as snow down here will be getting a really BIG shot of cold air into Texas. Borderline cold means very cold rain mixed with sleet and/or a little freezing rain. Miserable...

And my wife just told me she took a job on Friday that's a "rush", meaning she's working all weekend. Guess I'll bike alone.

Oh, final note of interest - Houston's greatest snowfalls have come on or near Valentine's Day.
Last edited by wxman57 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

wxman57 wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Valentine's Day Weekend looks real interesting, if it verifies...no Ice please...
This weekend may be our only chance of sunshine all month. With that active southern stream we may be in for one storm after another. The main issue as far as snow down here will be getting a really BIG shot of cold air into Texas. Borderline cold means very cold rain mixed with sleet and/or a little freezing rain. Miserable...

And my wife just told me she took a job on Friday that's a "rush", meaning she's working all weekend. Guess I'll bike alone.
Appears the blocking may relax abit after Mid Month. That may allow some colder air to plunge S behind the big storm that is showing up via guidance in the longer range. The sun would be nice to see for a change.

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Check out Valentine's Day Climatology. Six of the ten greatest Houston snowfalls occurred in mid February near Valentine's Day.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/hgx/?n=climate_ ... valentines
  • Information