January 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
snowman65

like I said the other day.. grasping for straws at this point for S.E. Tx. Season is winding up. February might be coldish but its time to face the music, folks. Get geared up for spring.
Stratton20

we arent grasping for strolls lol winter is coming back and its sticking around
sambucol

Sounds like we will have some cold here. I agree with you, Stratton.
Cpv17

Next week’s forecast is going to be very difficult to figure out. The mesoscale models are gonna have a much better idea. The globals are clueless.
Cpv17

snowman65 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:09 pm like I said the other day.. grasping for straws at this point for S.E. Tx. Season is winding up. February might be coldish but its time to face the music, folks. Get geared up for spring.
You should work on being positive in life. It’s healthier for you.
Stratton20

we are within range of the NAM 12km, and i can tell you its already faster and a good 5-10 degrees colder than the operational models , thats something to keep in mind, as the mesocale models handle the shallow arcitc airmasses by far better than global models do
DoctorMu

Stratton20 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:29 pm we are within range of the NAM 12km, and i can tell you its already faster and a good 5-10 degrees colder than the operational models , thats something to keep in mind, as the mesocale models handle the shallow arcitc airmasses by far better than global models do
No surprise. Actual temps even now in CLL have been about 5°F colder than progged. We've had 2 freezes in a row.

I expect ice/sleet next week is very possible up here in the NW territories.

NAM is in close agreement with the Canadian for now...and should continue on that general trend as Feb 1 comes into range.
DoctorMu

hmmmmm...the Canadian is sniffing out a Baja ULL heading our way in the latter half of next week... when cold air *could* prevail in NW counties against the SE ridge. Stay tuned.
Cpv17

The ensembles have trended even wetter today compared to yesterday.
Stratton20

Cpv17 yep! Its looking even better for sure
walsean1

I thought if Houston was going to see any frozen precipitation, it would be the first or second full week of February. This is the part of the year where we would have a threat for ice or snow.
Cromagnum

Basically no winter this year. One big freeze event. Couple cooler days.
Stratton20

Come on yall know better than to do this, it is going to get cold here, the operational runs mean very little in terms of temps, the mesocale guidance has a way better handle and they are most definitely colder and thats very important, ensembles agree, the cold is coming and that is a guarantee, highs in the upper 30’s to low 40’s for most, upper 40’s for the coast to low 50’s
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm Come on yall know better than to do this, it is going to get cold here, the operational runs mean very little in terms of temps, the mesocale guidance has a way better handle and they are most definitely colder and thats very important, ensembles agree, the cold is coming and that is a guarantee, highs in the upper 30’s to low 40’s for most, upper 40’s for the coast to low 50’s
Yeah but most people in here are pessimists, it seems.
Thundersleet

Only out of curiosity, does anyone know what became of ticka1, wxman57, and Mr.T? Please tell me CO-VID did not snuff their lives out.
Thundersleet

And what became of TexasPirate & that one young lady whose username escapes me?
Cpv17

Thundersleet wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 pm Only out of curiosity, does anyone know what became of ticka1, wxman57, and Mr.T? Please tell me CO-VID did not snuff their lives out.
Ticka1 passed away a few years ago, 57 doesn’t post on here anymore. He only posts on Storm2K, and I’m not sure about Mr.T.

TexasPirate still posts on here from time to time and not sure who else you’re referring to.
sambucol

Thundersleet wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:32 pm Only out of curiosity, does anyone know what became of ticka1, wxman57, and Mr.T? Please tell me CO-VID did not snuff their lives out.
Ticks suddenly and unexpectedly passed away in Sept 2018 due to
Something related to her heart.
redneckweather

Cpv17 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:45 pm
Stratton20 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm Come on yall know better than to do this, it is going to get cold here, the operational runs mean very little in terms of temps, the mesocale guidance has a way better handle and they are most definitely colder and thats very important, ensembles agree, the cold is coming and that is a guarantee, highs in the upper 30’s to low 40’s for most, upper 40’s for the coast to low 50’s
Yeah but most people in here are pessimists, it seems.

Naw, I don't think they are pessimists at all, more on the lines of being a realist. Lots of optimism going on here, which is great since I am an optimistic person myself, except when it comes to wintry weather around these parts.lol

With that said, I don't see any threat at all from any models of wintry weather around here (Southeast Texas). Just your usual cold dreary weather (maybe highs in the 30's /low 40's briefly under dreary skies) as we head into February. In reality, we have 4 weeks left, just 4 WEEKS. The yellow jasmine usually starts showing up in the trees the second week of February which is my sign the seasons have begun their transition from Winter to Spring.
Cpv17

Even if there’s no wintry weather here, I would still be excited for 35-45°F temps with rain. Yeah, I realize that I’m probably in the minority on that but that’s okay. I’m different like that lol
  • Information