January 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
jasons2k

This pattern of the iPhone weather app showing far worse air quality than the official observation stations continues.

I did some research. The air quality data in the iPhone weather app is supplied by a company called “Breezometer”

https://www.breezometer.com/products/air-quality-api

Never heard of them so I can speak to the accuracy of this data. It is perplexing and at the same time intriguing. I would bet the air quality shown at the street level (worse from traffic) is the real deal. I’m not sure how they are collecting this data (satellite measurements maybe) but it certainly makes me wonder how accurate it is.
leejc396

I use a website call AQI. I think they have an app. Its based on ground level sensors.

https://aqicn.org/city/texas/houston/houston-aldine/

I used the website when I was working in China. The levels got to extremes at time, (450Pm 2.5) at which time our company wouldn't let us leave the office or they would bring us back to office.
Alicia/Jerry/Ike/Typhoon Danas/Typhoon Cham-hom/Harvey/Imelda
Stratton20

Mesocale models like the NAM 12km are getting in range of the initial blast of arctic air, already much colder and faster than the op models with precipitation breaking out
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:26 pm Mesocale models like the NAM 12km are getting in range of the initial blast of arctic air, already much colder and faster than the op models with precipitation breaking out
I was literally just about to post that lol
sambucol

Any winter fun for us in SETX?
brazoriatx

Not looking likely
Stratton20

Maybe for our NW counties, but unlikely in the houston area, the setup is not supportive for snow, this will be either rain for some and Ice for others
sambucol

What kind of temps for us then?
Stratton20

highs in the mid 40’s
  • Information