January 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:00 pm
CrashTestDummy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:12 pm
Stratton20 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:10 pm This weather sucks! 75 with 88 % humidity,🤮🤮🤮
Beats the snot out of what it was like this time last week!! :lol:
What we had last week was tremendously better. It’s not even close. We had sunny clear blue skies last week at this time with temps in the mid to upper 40’s.
Very nice. Our dog loved it.

Friday was Chamber of Commerce weather, especially in comparison with today.

Milder weather- 60s for highs - after tomorrow.
djmike

Cpv17 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 pm This next rain event tomorrow into Tuesday will once again favor the eastern part of the viewing area. Areas west of 45 might not even get anything. Beaumont could once again get another solid round of rain.
Yup NWS issued a flood watch for us already starting tomorrow Monday till Tuesday for Beaumont.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cpv17

djmike wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:26 pm
Cpv17 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 pm This next rain event tomorrow into Tuesday will once again favor the eastern part of the viewing area. Areas west of 45 might not even get anything. Beaumont could once again get another solid round of rain.
Yup NWS issued a flood watch for us already starting tomorrow Monday till Tuesday for Beaumont.
Not sure y’all will get much of anything anymore. Mesoscale models have really dried up all across the area.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yep, rapidly moving low clouds along the Upper TX Coast this morning and a few rapidly moving showers as the stage is set. The main area of concern remains N and NE of Houston but will be interesting to see if there is any shift to the SW with the next Day 1 Outlook in several minutes.
DoctorMu

We have streamer showers in the CLL area. That should be about it for the next few hours. Maybe a tenth or two or rain. We're pretty wet right now, so that is OK.

Partly cloudy and mild for the remainder of the week.

Any arctic or polar outbreak will have to be in the last 12-13 days of the month per Ensembles.
CrashTestDummy

Stratton20 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:10 pm This weather sucks! 75 with 88 % humidity,🤮🤮🤮
What we had last week was tremendously better. It’s not even close. We had sunny clear blue skies last week at this time with temps in the mid to upper 40’s.
We had a couple of frozen pipes that luckily thawed out before bursting, but also it seems we may have lost everything we moved into our greenhouse, in spite of adding heat, and we're not sure about our citrus trees that were just recovering from 2021.

So, yeah, this, to us, is MUCH better. If you want ice and snow, there are places for that. Not here.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas

"You can learn a lot from a Dummy."
Cpv17

CrashTestDummy wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:49 am

We had a couple of frozen pipes that luckily thawed out before bursting, but also it seems we may have lost everything we moved into our greenhouse, in spite of adding heat, and we're not sure about our citrus trees that were just recovering from 2021.

So, yeah, this, to us, is MUCH better. If you want ice and snow, there are places for that. Not here.
And that’s your opinion. Not everyone agrees with you. Some of us are passionate about the weather and enjoy wintry weather. You want to be safe from cold and snow then go to south Florida. Cold and snow is still very well possible down here whether you like it or not.
Stratton20

Cpv17 agreed if i wanted a warm winter id move to south florida as cold fronts rarely get that far south, highs in the 70’s and high humidity is awful here, ill tale snow and ice any day
Stratton20

And all of the rain is off to the east of me again, crickets here, yawn!
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starting to fill in..rain and thunder in Humble
jasons2k

I’m hearing lots of thunder to my south and southwest right now (2:00). These temps are just fine with me. It could be worse - it could be 100, so enjoy this while it lasts.

The cold wasn’t that bad for me. It was great weather for the Christmas holiday. Other than hearing about some more busted pipes and lost plants, it wasn’t nearly as bad as 2021. My mule palms did fine. We dug-up some of the tii plants and bird of paradise and put them in buckets in the garage. Brought in the potted citrus and hanging baskets. We covered the rest of our tropicals. Of course they all got torched but they will all come back again. Overall we fared OK. Some snow would have been nice - maybe next time.
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:12 pm And all of the rain is off to the east of me again, crickets here, yawn!
It’s all north of me. I’m just too far south.
Rip76

It’s been coming down in the Woodlands for about 30 min.
davidiowx

Got exactly a half inch in Richmond. Was expecting less than that. Lost power for about 3 seconds (annoying as it just surges everything) had some loud thunder too. Guess that’s all as the sun is out now lol.. Gross
captainbarbossa19

Hello everyone! Happy New Year! I finished my first semester at Mississippi State a few weeks ago and will be returning to Starkville in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I spent Christmas sick and am just now getting over it. However, today was a great day for my school, as we won our bowl game in Tampa! :D
MontgomeryCoWx

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:24 pm Hello everyone! Happy New Year! I finished my first semester at Mississippi State a few weeks ago and will be returning to Starkville in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I spent Christmas sick and am just now getting over it. However, today was a great day for my school, as we won our bowl game in Tampa! :D
RIP to the Pirate! Glad the Bulldogs won.
Team #NeverSummer
jasons2k

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:27 pm
captainbarbossa19 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:24 pm Hello everyone! Happy New Year! I finished my first semester at Mississippi State a few weeks ago and will be returning to Starkville in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I spent Christmas sick and am just now getting over it. However, today was a great day for my school, as we won our bowl game in Tampa! :D
RIP to the Pirate! Glad the Bulldogs won.
I’ll second that!

.53” here so far with more thunder.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How was your first semester? Learn anything? Lol
Tell us the classes you took.
DoctorMu

My wife said it poured at the house. Probably a few tenths of rain. Everything is soaked. We should be done with fire and drought danger for now.
DoctorMu

The dewpoint peaked at 71°F here. I've NEVER seen that in early January in CLL.

The pea soup should be abated by morning.

There is a broken line of showers within 15 miles moving east. A coin flip on chances of rain here. Probably half that in HOU.
  • Information