February 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

The active pattern looks to continue into the first half of february with, the exception being the next 3-4 days,
jasons2k

Yeah, knowing how fast the rain can shut off, I'll take whatever we can get.

One more comment about summer vs. winter: extremes on either side can be deadly, and people need to take precautions and listen to their bodies for signs of cold stress/frostbite or heat stress. I push myself physically but the older I've gotten, I've realized that my body is more sensitive to the heat (and cold), especially extreme heat, than compared to when I was younger. I used to run a 5K at any time of the day without even thinking about it. Now, I can't do that. I have to plan my runs. It's very challenging for me if it's above 80 or below 50. Those morning beach runs in the summer are getting harder and harder for me every year.

It's just so important to listen to your body and take the necessary breaks. When I'm doing yardwork outside, I'm a lot more careful now about staying hydrated and taking frequent A/C breaks inside. Sometimes every 20 mins.

The only thing about all this rain is I haven't been able to run all week. That's OK - I'm OK with the break. This weekend + Monday looks like great running weather to me.
Cpv17

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am I am loving this rain. I will never complain about rain!
You think we’ll be seeing El Niño next winter? I want a winter where it’s consistently near average temps or below with lots of precip. I love La Niña cuz they can offer up extremes but the blowtorches suck!
Cpv17

Cromagnum wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:34 am Houston weather is mostly terrible. There is a couple month window in the spring where it's nice (when it doesn't storm), and potentially a month or two in the fall (if we even have one that year).
Spring weather in SETX sucks to me. Too damn windy for my liking.
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:46 pm
Cromagnum wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:34 am Houston weather is mostly terrible. There is a couple month window in the spring where it's nice (when it doesn't storm), and potentially a month or two in the fall (if we even have one that year).
Spring weather in SETX sucks to me. Too damn windy for my liking.
I have noticed as you go SW of here, the wind does increase, especially in the spring time. There are a lot windmill farms along US-77 going down towards Corpus. It's like the shape of the Texas coast plus SE flow off the gulf creates a wind tunnel. When we go fishing in Port Aransas it's usually a lot windier than Florida fishing.
MontgomeryCoWx

Cpv17 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:43 pm
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am I am loving this rain. I will never complain about rain!
You think we’ll be seeing El Niño next winter? I want a winter where it’s consistently near average temps or below with lots of precip. I love La Niña cuz they can offer up extremes but the blowtorches suck!
It’s looking more likely.
Team #NeverSummer
MontgomeryCoWx

Testing to see if these pics load. I’m not sure why .jpg files aren’t loading.

These pics are from CO.
Last edited by MontgomeryCoWx on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Team #NeverSummer
DoctorMu

jasons2k wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:19 am
MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:45 am
redneckweather wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:52 am

Man, I think Colorado put the nail in the coffin with me and the cold. lol Then I come home to dreary/drizzly get in the bones type of cold...absolutely brutal. Definitely ready for some sun and warmer weather.
All Colorado did for me was me wanting 6 more months of Winter.
Winter is a completely different experience in a place like Colorado - a state with a whole industry built around winter activities. Winter here is just miserable. Especially when it’s 36 and raining. Like RedNeckWx said - Yes, it cuts all the way to your bones. Nothing but brutal misery for me.

Still monitoring Sat am for that (hopefully last) freeze. I will be covering things up to be safe.
The dry cold in Colorado is definitely better than wet cold.

...and FAR better than wet heat.
MontgomeryCoWx

Summer in the mountains are heavenly.
Team #NeverSummer
Stratton20

Even though ive lived in dubai and Norway, i can say by far that texas summers are the worst, at least in dubai it was a dry heat unlike here, norway summers never got above 70 much, which was amazing
  • Information