February 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
DoctorMu

Temps here were 32°F overnight and there was icing outside on elevated surfaces with an icy drizzle, but when it began raining it did warm 1-2°F.

Our dog and I will do a walk/jog later in this. Just have to layer. No biggie.
Attachments
Temps Feb 1.jpg
DoctorMu

Just 15 miles away in Caldwell.
Attachments
Caldwell.jpg
Stratton20

Winter storm warning canceled here but now an winter weather advisory has been added in place and extended until 6 am tommorow, dont really understand that
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

AVIATION...
(18Z TAF Issuance)
Issued at 1048 AM CST Wed Feb 1 2023

Prevailing IFR conditions persist as drizzle and light rain
continues to fall across Southeast Texas. Temperatures are
steadily holding just above freezing at CLL/UTS, so FZDZ/FZRA
mentions will be taken out during this TAF package. Latest high
resolution model guidance depicts a slight break between this
round of SHRA and the next round that moves in on early Thursday
morning. Visibilities improve outside of any falling
precipitation, but look for visibilities and ceilings to fall
closer towards LIFR territory after the 09Z-12Z timeframe when the
next round of rain moves in. This is expected to be just liquid
rain with temperatures at the terminals remaining above freezing,
so no FZ mentions. Slightly drier air begins to move in late
Thursday, with ceilings on a slight upward trend to high end IFR
by the late afternoon.
jasons2k

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am 70s might be returning next week, absolutely depressing
Not for me!! BBQ and yardwork time!! I’ll be in heaven.
jasons2k

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm Winter storm warning canceled here but now an winter weather advisory has been added in place and extended until 6 am tommorow, dont really understand that
It’s because the warnings are county-wide. With the slightly warmer temps, the ice accumulation is expected to be only in the northwest portions of the counties. Those accumulations will be light, so while they may still meet advisory criteria, the accumulations are not enough to warrant the warning any longer. That’s why the warning was downgraded to an advisory and the next tier of counties (Waller, Grimes, Walker) were removed from the advisory altogether.

Edit: And to clarify the extension: the warning was set to expire at noon, so it was either going to be extended as a WSW, extended and downgraded to a WWA, or allowed to expire completely. They essentially replaced the WSW with a WWA (a downgrade) and trimmed off a tier of counties.

Event: Winter Weather Advisory
Alert:
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST THURSDAY...

...WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED...

* WHAT...Freezing rain or drizzle. Any additional ice
accumulations will be a light glaze.

* WHERE...Madison, Brazos, and Washington Counties.

* WHEN...Until 6 AM CST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Very slippery sidewalks, roads and bridges are
possible. The hazardous conditions could impact the evening
commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The most ice accumulation has occurred in
the northern and western portions of the counties. Where
temperatures have remained above freezing, significant ice has
not accumulated.

Instructions: Slow down and use caution while traveling. Prepare for possible power outages. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
redneckweather

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am 70s might be returning next week, absolutely depressing

Bring it. The sooner the 80's and higher get here the better.
Stratton20

redneckweather we can very much agree to disagree on that one lol
DoctorMu

Welp. Severe Season is probably next. It brings needed rain, but also hail and tornadic activity here in the NW counties where the cap is weaker. I've noticed in my time in Texas that severe weather in CLL area arrives earlier in (March) than decades ago with less action in April/May in the traditional "tornado alley." More tornados in the Southeastern US and less in tornado alley has been the trend over the past few decades, likely linked to climate change.
DoctorMu

Stratton20 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:07 pm redneckweather we can very much agree to disagree on that one lol
Yeah, the scorching summer of 2022 in College Station cured any preference for hot weather. :lol: We get plenty of it. I never complain about the "cold" in Texas.
DoctorMu

Looks like we've escaped this one re: ice. Best wishes to those in Austin and DFW. Power outages and nasty ice still are inundating these urban areas and the countryside.

From Burleson Co...only about 15 miles from my location.
Attachments
Fn6IgZ2XEAc9UY8.jpg
Stratton20

Just my two cents on the month of February, I think its will be overall near normal to slightly above normal temps, but I also think we will see above normal precipitation, i also think we will have at least 1 more arctic blast before winter is officially over, GFS is pretty active with multiple troughs digging down over the next several weeks, thats why i think we will be closer to average in terms of temperatures, just my opinion though
MontgomeryCoWx

redneckweather wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:44 pm

Who hijacked your account and what is wrong with you? :lol:
Team #NeverSummer
davidiowx

MontgomeryCoWx wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:25 pm
redneckweather wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:44 pm

Who hijacked your account and what is wrong with you? :lol:
I think Jason did :lol:
Stratton20

seeing some light snow flurries here
GBinGrimes

DoctorMu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:15 pm Welp. Severe Season is probably next. It brings needed rain, but also hail and tornadic activity here in the NW counties where the cap is weaker. I've noticed in my time in Texas that severe weather in CLL area arrives earlier in (March) than decades ago with less action in April/May in the traditional "tornado alley." More tornados in the Southeastern US and less in tornado alley has been the trend over the past few decades, likely linked to climate change.
Climate change=the earth wobbles and weather patterns diffuse. Climate change has zero, ZERO, to do with carbon emissions and all that woke BS mantra. No one talks about all the concrete replacing grass, and all those NON GREEN windmills that destroy thousands of acres of pristine land, or all of the NON GREEN battery initiatives, or all of the metropolitan areas leaving the skyscraper lights on ALL NIGHT. Think about it.
DoctorMu

GBinGrimes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:27 pm
DoctorMu wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:15 pm Welp. Severe Season is probably next. It brings needed rain, but also hail and tornadic activity here in the NW counties where the cap is weaker. I've noticed in my time in Texas that severe weather in CLL area arrives earlier in (March) than decades ago with less action in April/May in the traditional "tornado alley." More tornados in the Southeastern US and less in tornado alley has been the trend over the past few decades, likely linked to climate change.
Climate change=the earth wobbles and weather patterns diffuse. Climate change has zero, ZERO, to do with carbon emissions and all that woke BS mantra. No one talks about all the concrete replacing grass, and all those NON GREEN windmills that destroy thousands of acres of pristine land, or all of the NON GREEN battery initiatives, or all of the metropolitan areas leaving the skyscraper lights on ALL NIGHT. Think about it.
With all due respect, take the politics-fed and tin foil hat stuff off this board. The CO2 molecule doesn't care about any of that.
Attachments
Greenhouse-Transmission.jpg
co2_data_mlo.png
DoctorMu

Anyway, just glad we have escaped a major ice event and there were a few flakes of snow earlier this evening.

Please hold those 350K without power in Texas in your thoughts.
jasons2k

GBinGrimes wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:27 pm No one talks about all the concrete replacing grass, and all those NON GREEN windmills that destroy thousands of acres of pristine land, or all of the NON GREEN battery initiatives, or all of the metropolitan areas leaving the skyscraper lights on ALL NIGHT. Think about it.
I find it comical when folks say “No one talks about…” and then proceed to post a bunch of talking points that are debated every single day.

Dude, ALL of those things are “talked about” AKA researched extensively in the scientific community. You really think a bunch of climate scientists with PHDs aren’t smart enough to figure that out but somehow these politicians and talking heads (who couldn’t pass a 6th grade earth science quiz) have all the answers?

You’ve picked the wrong crowd to pass off this charlatan BS to.
  • Information