May 2023

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Cpv17

Looks like Don has a really nice looking thunderstorm headed his way!
Stratton20

Now this is the perfect weather day in my books! Nothing but heavy rain and lots of thunder! Ill gladly take this over sunny, dry and 90 with 75% humidity any day!
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

.AVIATION...
(18Z TAF Issuance)
Issued at 1235 PM CDT Wed May 10 2023

Rain coverage continues to diminish this afternoon as the storm
system that brought this morning`s storms departs the area. That
being said, MVFR to occasionally IFR cigs along with scattered
showers and storms will remain a possibility into the early
evening hours. Overnight, MVFR cigs remain in place with S to SE
winds just under 10 knots. While this should be enough to inhibit
fog development, some patchy fog cannot be ruled out. Tomorrow,
cigs begin to slowly lift but remain within MVFR thresholds for
the duration of the TAF period.

Cady
don

Cpv17 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:31 pm Looks like Don has a really nice looking thunderstorm headed his way!
LOL these storms have had some pretty good rainfall rates the last couple of days.Thank goodness they've been moving fast.And the low was too weak to produce sustain feeder bands, or we would be dealing with some ugly flooding today.
DoctorMu

don wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:34 am It's busy out there this morning.

Screenshot_20230510-080820_MyRadar.jpg
Pretty much went as expected last night. Since CLL was near the center, we got maybe 0.5 in of rain
DoctorMu

djmike wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:37 am Houston and Beaumont seem to be prime target for continuous rounds of rain rotating around the low atleast till noon. We’ll see.
It's that east side dragging that GoM moisture. No cap + heating = boom.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:00 am
djmike wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:37 am
Cpv17 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:29 am

Y’all are used to it by now, I’m sure.

Looking past today, the models have nothing really going on tomorrow. So tomorrow we should get a break widespread besides maybe some afternoon isolated heat driven showers.

I thought we would end up getting a lot more the past couple days. I can get more from a random afternoon thunderstorm than what I’ve gotten but I’m not complaining. We’ve gotten more than enough here lately.
Pretty much but still gets exciting. As long as no damage is done. Any minute you’ll probably start seeing flooding posts on social media for Beaumont. Lol. Currently flooded at work. One road with no way in or out. This is the part that sucks. Lol
I know what you mean. I love when it floods. Usually after it’s done raining I’ll go for a long drive for a good hour or two and look at all the water everywhere and take lots of pictures and videos. It’s hella exciting for me! Lol

Just as long as there’s no damage then I’m all for it. The most rain I’ve ever gotten in one hour was 6” from a Harvey rain band. I was outside under the carport just soaking it all in. Luckily for us we didn’t get nearly as much rain from Harvey as a lot of others did. 25” here over a 4 day period. Now if we had gotten that much in one day then that would be a completely different story.
I used to dig flooding, even hurricanes in NC growing up.

A few years after moving into our first house in CLL we had a EPAC tropical moisture entraining event: 18 inches of rain in less than 18 hours. The backyard filled up like a bathtub full of water. I waded waist deep into the backyard and kicked down the fence to let the water out. We got water inside our home through the weepholes and I had to lift the carpet. Eventually replaced the pads. Put tile in the bathrooms. Put a French drain in and ran some piping for the front under the deck for drainage.

When we moved to a newer home, you better believe I bought a home on a bit of a rise that drains into my neighbors yards!

So, not into flooding now. :lol:
Stratton20

As a kid. i always thought it was cool seeing rivers flood, though as long as they werent near any populated areas, but harvey pretty much changed my mind on flooding, it absolutely sucks
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:57 pm As a kid. i always thought it was cool seeing rivers flood, though as long as they werent near any populated areas, but harvey pretty much changed my mind on flooding, it absolutely sucks
So what about the weather do you like? Tornadoes and floods are crossed off the list! Lol
don

We lost our house to flooding during Tropical Storm Frances(1998) due to White Oak Bayou. Frances made landfall near Port Aransas overnight as a strong tropical storm, and by the time i woke up in the morning water was already entering the house.And was waist deep outside already.We had to be rescued by boat.I lived right in the area where the 14" bullseye is at on the map in northwest Houston.LOL Tropical weather is still my favorite weather though 2nd would be winter storms.
frances98setxrain.gif
Stratton20

Cpv17 No i like tornadoes and floods, i just hate it when those events occur in heavily populated areas, hate seeing all the damage reports come in, but if i had to choose a kind of weather that can be fun without causing serious problems is snow, who doesn’t like seeing flakes fly in the sky here?
djmike

Looks like another round for beaumont.
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm Cpv17 No i like tornadoes and floods, i just hate it when those events occur in heavily populated areas, hate seeing all the damage reports come in, but if i had to choose a kind of weather that can be fun without causing serious problems is snow, who doesn’t like seeing flakes fly in the sky here?
Oh ok, I gotcha! I knew for sure that you liked some wintry weather because that’s how me and you first met to begin with lol. I’m not sure if I like tropical weather or wintry weather more. I might give the slight edge to wintry weather just cuz it’s more rare to see a big snowstorm down here compared to a tc. But I love basically any weather extreme. I even love record breaking heat just cuz I think it’s fascinating.

Anyway…..

The CPC now has this:

Uh oh ;)
Stratton20

Cpv17 I wonder what they are seeing, GFS and CMC dont have much rain fall in that time frame
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:12 pm Cpv17 I wonder what they are seeing, GFS and CMC dont have much rain fall in that time frame
I’m wondering the same thing but they do keep us under above normal precipitation for the next two weeks and they have Arizona under way above normal precipitation and didn’t even outline them for any sort of heavy rainfall event.
Cpv17

Stratton20 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:12 pm Cpv17 I wonder what they are seeing, GFS and CMC dont have much rain fall in that time frame
After going back and looking at the EPS 500mb heights, this might be what they see:

Firehose aimed right at us.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

2.23” in W League City this morning.
Stratton20

Cpv17 interesting, thats 8-11 days out by the CPC, very surprising to see an outlook issued that far out to be honest
Iceresistance

Flash Flood Warning just to my south, 4-5 inches of rain fell there.

I only got a trace 8 miles north of the FFW.
DoctorMu

Cpv17 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:02 pm
Stratton20 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:34 pm Cpv17 No i like tornadoes and floods, i just hate it when those events occur in heavily populated areas, hate seeing all the damage reports come in, but if i had to choose a kind of weather that can be fun without causing serious problems is snow, who doesn’t like seeing flakes fly in the sky here?
Oh ok, I gotcha! I knew for sure that you liked some wintry weather because that’s how me and you first met to begin with lol. I’m not sure if I like tropical weather or wintry weather more. I might give the slight edge to wintry weather just cuz it’s more rare to see a big snowstorm down here compared to a tc. But I love basically any weather extreme. I even love record breaking heat just cuz I think it’s fascinating.

Anyway…..

The CPC now has this:

Uh oh ;)
That's almost a safe bet though based upon climo and the target area centers over Louisiana. Late May and June (7.07 in) are the rainiest time of year in Lafayette, LA. :lol:
  • Information