February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
ThunderMan

I can tell you it's 27-28 in Round Rock according to my truck on my way to work -- We had some small amounts of freezing rain apparently and the icicles never melted on my mirrors.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

See, I was worried about a south of I-10 event. If it doesn't snow here (Woodlands), I am going to be SOOOOO FREAKIN' upset.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

srainhoutx wrote:
ticka1 wrote:Did the front arrive earlier then what was forecasted in the models?
Yes. The storm is an over achiever. It is out performing the model guidance by a lot.
I don't think I've seen a temp drop this fast and hard in a long long time.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wow. Just wow.
unome

check out the storm reports in TX http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/last3hours.html

trees down, roofs blown off
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
ticka1 wrote:Did the front arrive earlier then what was forecasted in the models?
Yes. The storm is an over achiever. It is out performing the model guidance by a lot.
Wait until it (the storm) occludes. That cold air will plunge even deeper S and colder as the day wears on. ;)
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:
Wait until it (the storm) occludes. That cold air will plunge even deeper S and colder as the day wears on. ;)[/quote]

Considering I'm already at 44 and can see some of the clouds thinning out yea it's a little scary.
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yepper, we, as they say, aint seen nothing yet.....
ticka1

tireman4 wrote:Yepper, we, as they say, aint seen nothing yet.....
Gonna be interesting to follow and see what happens here in SE Texas the next few days.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Temp already 43 at IAH and falling. I suspect we'll be at freezing around 4pm.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Goodness gracious. I called my friend up in Rowlett ( Outside of Dallas..to the East). He stated, he is working from home. It is miserable and he and his treadmill will be friends for awhile.
randybpt

I see lake charles discussion took chance of snow out of forecast for us here in beaumont. Said was siding with the warmer euro. And was.to be all rain. Kfdm has high 38 and 20% rain friday. Hmmmmm any thoughts
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

randybpt wrote:I see lake charles discussion took chance of snow out of forecast for us here in beaumont. Said was siding with the warmer euro. And was.to be all rain. Kfdm has high 38 and 20% rain friday. Hmmmmm any thoughts
It'll be snow.

edit: Unless the track of the low is right over head, then there could be some mixing with a warm nose but doubtful.
Mr. Weather

would u say that our chances for snow here in Houston are on the increase
Mr. T

12z NAM took another step in the right direction. Has possible accumulations along and north of ih-10 and then up towards Shreveport

Possible precip type issues south of 10
Last edited by Mr. T on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TexasMetBlake
Pro Met
Pro Met

Mr. Weather wrote:would u say that our chances for snow here in Houston are on the increase
Yes. Snow chances are now in the 'likely' category. I suspect they will only increase as the genesis of the low beings to take shape. I'm not sure why HGX is saying south of I-10. Thins appear to be further inland this time.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes. ( I am not a meteorolgist...). Look at the percentages from the NWS. It has gone from 20 to 30 to now 50. Read Jeff's email. There is growing confidence in this storm and snow. They still (meteorologists) need to fine tune the details, but it is looking more likely.

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including the KHOU Forum. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
snowman65

Candy Cane wrote:
Mr. Weather wrote:would u say that our chances for snow here in Houston are on the increase
Yes. Snow chances are now in the 'likely' category. I suspect they will only increase as the genesis of the low beings to take shape. I'm not sure why HGX is saying south of I-10. Thins appear to be further inland this time.
Is this about Thurs/Fri time range?
Mr. Weather

snowman65 wrote:
Candy Cane wrote:
Is this about Thurs/Fri time range?

Yes i was asking about the thrus/fri storm
Mr. T

tireman4 wrote:
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including the KHOU Forum. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
It's not hurricane season yet
  • Information