February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Frigid Aggie

SOFTBALLDAD wrote:Still way too dry - at 10pm the TV Mets will certainly have to finally give up on their models. I know weather is anything but an exact science but really - this bust is so obvious i cant believe eveyone is still hanging on to it. I couldnt believe it even this afternoon when the Mayor shut down the city. I am a total amature and even I could see it hours ago as that magic little wall we all have come to know and love was keeping everything South and East. Peace yall - its over
If it's over, then why do you continue to post? :shock:
skidog38

keep an eye on the sky. its about to start :mrgreen:
helloitsb

SOFTBALLDAD wrote:Still way too dry - at 10pm the TV Mets will certainly have to finally give up on their models. I know weather is anything but an exact science but really - this bust is so obvious i cant believe eveyone is still hanging on to it. I couldnt believe it even this afternoon when the Mayor shut down the city. I am a total amature and even I could see it hours ago as that magic little wall we all have come to know and love was keeping everything South and East. Peace yall - its over
I guess the moisture building up where we need it is keeping me around that and the fact that our mets (Jeff Wxman recently) still thinking this is going to happen
wxman666

BIG slug of moisture off our coast when look at KHGX Doppler folks!
Ready for severe weather season!!
jabcwb2

helloitsb wrote:
Cloud2ground wrote:
jabcwb2 wrote:If I may, when you guys post a prediction, would you please sign either Promet or amatuer or follower or something to distinguish between being educated in the anomalies of weather and not being educated? I have been a member of this forum for quite a while and am still having trouble following those who really know what we will get weatherwise vs those who are guessing.

Seems to me that might cut down on some of the confusion. Just an observation.
Follower
They usually have the big Gold label that says ProMet.
And although I agree with a lot of what you're saying, you don't necessarily have to have a degree in meteorology to see a dark cloud moving towards you and know rain will soon come.
Some of these so-called amateurs have an abundance of weather experience. Don't believe srain has a degree in meteorology, yet I value his experience and wisdom in reading weather maps/patterns, plus finding the finer anomalies which could influence our weather.

I do believe people need to relax a little, especially when dealing with these Professional Meteorologist.
Meteorology isn't an exact science, and I don't see the day coming soon when weather can be predicted with 100% certainty.

Back to the topic of this thread;
My amateur observations finds the moisture increasing to our southwest/west.
This event hasn't even begun, and seriously I don't need to see 3-4" to be satisfied. Lived here since 72 and I get excited when I see one snowflake fall from the sky.
Yes I agree about not having to have a degree to add insight as well as Steve does, Weather is an art like someone said here once
I am really sorry. I hope I didn't offend anyone. That wasn't my intention. It's just that I read everything everyone posts and believe it all and then get confused. I am an oddity, I suppose. I appreciate the time you all put in to making this board as wonderful as it is and answering all the questions that you do.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ceilings have lowered significantly within the past hour in NW Harris County.
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
Frigid Aggie

Paul wrote:I just did a GSR or Grocery Store Run and I have very small precip falling. few very small flakes...they evaporate pretty quickly though....so if that does quiet the "bust" crowd nothing will.....just a matter of time..need to cool this column down so this stuff will stick...dewpoint in the teens so I dont see a problem with that....
Just looked on our back porch in our part of Pearland. I can confirm very small flurries in the air.
helloitsb

jabcwb2 wrote:I am really sorry. I hope I didn't offend anyone. That wasn't my intention. It's just that I read everything everyone posts and believe it all and then get confused. I am an oddity, I suppose. I appreciate the time you all put in to making this board as wonderful as it is and answering all the questions that you do.
oh no, I agree, it is hard to distinguish between a knowledgeable weathered veteran (no pun intended :P) and the people like me who try to take a crack at it and have no idea what I'm talking about :lol:
helloitsb

srainhoutx wrote:Ceilings have lowered significantly within the past hour in NW Harris County.
this is good? :oops:
medicalgirl32

dang it! what part of pearland? I am off Yost nothin here yet! A dusting is all i need!
  • Information