February 1-5, 2011 Arctic Blast/Winter Storm Discussion

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
C2G

Anytime you get ice on the Galveston Causeway......it's a major event. Driving home at 6AM and seeing Galveston P.D. working at least three accidents on that bridge makes you drive extremely cautious.
After the Dec 4th, 2009 snow event I try not to get too worked up over the possibility of snow.
You tend to get angry at people who have no control over weather if you do.
Let Spring come early this year.
nuby, unless that warm layer has magically disappeared, it will be freezing rain.
updraft

srainhoutx wrote:Good Morning. Well, we didn’t get snow, we got something worse. Ice. I spent the last half hour reading some of the over night posts and I know some are disappointed, but we have to remember there are no guarantees in weather. As David Paul said this morning, “Mother Nature is going do what Mother Nature wants to do”. As was pointed out by our Pros, that warm layer aloft around 5000 feet was our ‘issue’ regarding any snow chances. .................. section deleted to condense and save space (read original post for details) ............................Folks, I know that this has been said many time overnight into the morning, but please stay safe and be careful out there. We want to see you back here posting and not injured.

While it is true that all those you mention in your post contribute to make this weather board such a great informative tool - I've got to honestly say srain, you have got to be the best Admin of a forum that I've ever encountered. You not only bring sense and sensibility to the sometimes heated, hectic opinions and thoughts, you also know a thing or two about the weather ;-) ... and you can explain it in simple terms for us amateurs - which is greatly appreciated.

With the right participants, any forum can be good .... but to be great, you need continuity, fairness, and respect for those in the forum - and you sir, bring that to this great vehicle of information and shared learning. Thank you for all you do.
"Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning." - The late/great George Carlin
Badfish

OK, the kids want to call 911 and report mother nauture for fraud!!!!!!!!!
johnsover

Lots of ice in Brazoria county, and lucky us, the county didn't sand the bridges last night. They sanded an intersection close to the bridge, but not the bridge. ???
My husband had to go to work this morning and while going up a bridge, he saw a wreck on the other side, so he had to stop on the top of the bridge. The car behind him stopped as well but the next car came up way too fast and rear ended the car behind my husband's truck, then went between the gaurd rail and scraped down the entire side of my husband's truck. The car wasn't able to stop until he was 150 feet past my husband's truck.
He's been sitting on the bridge for over 3 hours now. The tow trucks can't get to the cars, and the police can't get to them either. Finally the county came out with some sand and are trying to get the bridge sanded down.
lyndie32

Badfish wrote:OK, the kids want to call 911 and report mother nauture for fraud!!!!!!!!!

we so need a like button!!! lol

LIKE :lol:
C2G

Badfish wrote:OK, the kids want to call 911 and report mother nauture for fraud!!!!!!!!!
:lol: :D
Well, our snow event became the Dallas areas snow event.
Sheesh, it's not like they've had a gazillion here in the last few years.
cisa

Well I guess I won't be going To work after all. I'm glad b/c it's cold and my car's a block of ice.
No rain, no rainbows.
jasons2k

Same here as a lot of other places - 1/4" - 1/8" coating of ice on everything. Too bad it's not snow even up here on Montgomery County.
clute28

If its worth anything I'm getting a light mist here ..don't know if anything will come of it tho
jasons2k

Now I'm getting a mixture of flurries, frz rain, snow grains, and sleet all at once.
  • Information