2018 National Tropical Weather Conference

Tropical Weather Discussions and Analysis
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am pleased to announce that our KHOU Weather Forum will be well represented again this year in S Padre Island April 3rd through 7th at the 2018 National Tropical Weather Conference. I also want to personally thank KHOU and particularly Christine DiStadio for allowing me to attend representing our KHOU Weather Forum. wxman57, KatDaddy, vbhoutex and myself will join several other of our Pro Mets who will be presenting. Our own Jeff Lindner is speaking as well as Mark Sudduth, Josh Morgerman and many of our local Houston Media Meteorologists as Hurricane Harvey will be an entire day of Discussions. Dr. Neil Frank, Bill Read, Dr. Rick Knabb (all Houston folks or ties to Houston) as well as Max Mayfield will attend representing Past Directors of the National Hurricane Center. The Conference has been expanded a day longer since the past Hurricane Season was so active. One of our own old members Matt Moreland (Houston Native) and former Meteorologist in Charge of NWS Key West ( now MIC NWS San Diego) will be speaking on Irma's impact in the Keys. Below is a link to the current schedule. It has been updating almost daily, so look for even more speakers as we get closer.

http://hurricanecenterlive.com/schedule.html
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Facebook.com/Weather Infinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just heard from Alex Garcia down there that he wants me to present something at the conference. I plan on flying over Tuesday morning. Not sure if I'll fly back Saturday or Sunday. Could go fishing Saturday and take the dinner cruise that evening.
brooksgarner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

srainhoutx wrote:I am pleased to announce that our KHOU Weather Forum will be well represented again this year in S Padre Island April 3rd through 7th at the 2018 National Tropical Weather Conference. I also want to personally thank KHOU and particularly Christine DiStadio for allowing me to attend representing our KHOU Weather Forum. wxman57, KatDaddy, vbhoutex and myself will join several other of our Pro Mets who will be presenting. Our own Jeff Lindner is speaking as well as Mark Sudduth, Josh Morgermon and many of our local Houston Media Meteorologists as Hurricane Harvey will be an entire day of Discussions. Dr. Neil Frank, Bill Read, Dr. Rick Knabb (all Houston folks or ties to Houston) as well as Max Mayfield will attend representing Past Directors of the National Hurricane Center. The Conference has been expanded a day longer since the past Hurricane Season was so active. On of our own old members Matt Moreland (Houston Native) and former Meteorologist in Charge of NWS Key West ( now MIC NWS San Diego) will be speaking on Irma's impact in the Keys. Below is a link to the current schedule. It has been updating almost daily, so look for even more speakers as we get closer.

http://hurricanecenterlive.com/schedule.html
This is the first I've heard! Congratulations. It's nice the our web team is reaching out and coordinating the trip for you guys!
Broadcast Met
http://BrooksGarner.com
http://twitter.com/BrooksWeather
  • '17 Harvey
  • '12 Sandy (P3 Orion)
  • '91 Bob
  • '85 Gloria
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

David (vbhoutex) and myself are arriving late Tuesday afternoon. I will stay for Saturday and possibly go fishing and definitely enjoy the Dinner Cruise around Laguna Madre. Last year the Dinner Cruise was a fantastic time enjoying company with Bill and Donna Read, Alex Garcia/Tim Smith and their lovely wives and about 40 other attendees. Plenty of good and lots of relaxing fun on a sail boat watching the sunset. I will return home around midday Sunday. This is the absolute Best Hurricane Conference there is due to the amazing Speakers, intimate smaller size of 100 to 200 hundred versus a couple of thousand that some other Hurricane Conferences attract. Alex Garcia and Tim Smith work extremely hard year after year to secure the fantastic Speakers. And of course the setting on the Beach of beautiful S Padre Island is an added bonus. There is still time to register early before the registration fee increases to $299.00 on March 3rd. The crowds of Spring break are over in Early April and if you've ever wanted to attend a Top Tier National Tropical Weather Conference, this is the one to not miss!

http://www.hurricanecenterlive.com/main.html
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Humberto/Ike/Harvey

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alex got my plane ticket yesterday. I fly over to Harlingen at 10:55 on Tuesday and fly back at 1:20pm Saturday. I think Brian (Katdaddy) is on the same flight. Still not 100% sure I won't change my return flight to Sunday. April is a busy time for me, though.
srainhoutx
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am pleased to announce that our Blake Mathews (Blake KHOU) will be attending Conference this year and will be part of the Hurricane Harvey Media Panel scheduled for Thursday afternoon. I also want to personally thank Alex Garcia for assisting in making Blake's attendance possible. We are very fortunate to have a sizable representation of our KHOU Weather Forum Family this year!

Twitter @WeatherInfinity
wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I've been monitoring the S. Padre weather for next week. Looks like lows in the low 70s and highs in the upper 70s. Possibly some rain on Wednesday as a cold front washes out over south TX. Water temps 75-77 degrees.

You'll have to right-click on the image below and choose "view image" to see the part that's hidden on the right.

wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I definitely don't like the Euro's forecast of a low in the upper 40s next Wednesday and a high in the upper 50s. Not good beach weather at all!

wxman57
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Today's 12Z Euro is 25 degrees warmer for S. Padre next Wed, up into the low 80s vs. a high in the upper 50s in the 00Z run. I like that a lot better.
Katdaddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That makes 2 of us Wxman57. I am ready for warm STX weather during the conference.
  • Information