February 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
Stratton20

31 with light freezing drizzle here
Iceresistance

Got up to 15°F today, Heavy Thundersleet this morning, then Snow in the Afternoon

Storm report from Tecumseh, OK measured 1.5 inches of Sleet, I've not measured the Sleet, but it's likely also 1.5 inches.
jasons2k

My pool is steaming with 37? degrees outside. So done with this crappy weather. Thank God March and the meteorological spring starts next week.

Edited: my weather station is down but I’m guessing 37 based on surrounding observations.
Last edited by jasons2k on Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpv17

Down to 34° with a feels like of 24° and some light mist/patchy fog has moved in. Interesting weather.
Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

For anyone interested here is a GIF (click it to make it work) for the 2m temp trend over the last couple of days. Pretty incredible how much further south the front pushed. Based on forecasts two days ago most of the Houston area should be in the mid 60s/ low 70s right now instead of the 30s.
Attachments
gfs_T2m_scus_fh6_trend (1).gif
For Your Infinite Source For All Things Weather Visit Our Facebook
Stratton20

Im a little more concerned with round #2 of frozen precip tomorrow, looks like their will be more moisture to work with leading to some higher ice accumulations, could be a very close call for me here
jasons2k

Sent from Jeff at about 7:30:
Winter Weather Advisory now in effect for tonight into early Thursday for areas NW of Houston.

This advisory is roughly along and NW of a lien from Columbus to Brenham to Huntsville.

Shallow, yet very cold arctic air mass continues to spill into the region this evening with surface freezing line extending from west of Huntsville to Brenham to Columbus. Areas of light freezing rain and freezing drizzle continue to develop to the northwest of this line and this will continue through much of the night. While surface ground temperatures are in the mid 30’s, elevated structures such as bridges, overpasses, rooftops, trees, power lines have cooled to or below freezing and this is allowing light icing to develop on these surfaces.

Expect additional precipitation tonight to generally average less than .10 of an inch and more likely around .05 of an inch, but with temperatures falling into the upper 20’s in the advisory area, much of what falls will freeze on contact with sub freezing surfaces.

Expect the freezing line to advance some southward tonight, but at this time do not expect any freezing drizzle into the metro Houston area, it is possible portions of Waller, Northern Fort Bend, Montgomery, and extreme NW Harris County could see temperatures cold enough to produce a few icy patches on bridges.

Temperatures will remain cold tomorrow with many areas only reaching the low to mid 40’s on continued thick clouds and drizzle/light rain.

Same areas could again be near or below freezing tomorrow night and with continued chances of drizzle and light rain…some additional icing will be possible in those areas…again this will likely be N and W of the metro Houston area.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
don

Based on the 0Z mesoscale models it looks like most of us along and west of I-45 wont get out of the 30s tomorrow.(And maybe most of Friday also)
Cpv17

Well I’m about to hit the sack. Just wanted to say that I just dropped down to 33° after spending the whole evening at 34°. Definitely knocking on the door now.
DoctorMu

Pretty icy at times driving (slowly) from CLL to Waco. Ice covers much of the car on arrival. There will be ice on the road. Wintry mix and potentially slow tonight.Freezing rain in CLL.

26°F Here and 31°F in CLL
  • Information