May 2022

General Weather Discussions and Analysis
captainbarbossa19

12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.
jasons2k

Hot one today…
Attachments
AAB17DC2-4E93-4B76-B16F-3C76F93A6DC5.jpeg
jasons2k

captainbarbossa19 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:14 pm 12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.
There are a number of analogs to 2005 for hurricane season as well. Folks need to be prepared.

I can’t believe it’s been 17 years. That’s the year we moved here (the third time for me) and we had Rita and the evacuation right after Katrina. That season set a new bar and yet we have had a few more seasons now that were close.

A number of things stick out from that season (and 2004 also). The forums were so busy. And while we had access to all sorts of things on the internet in prior seasons, 2004-2005 seemed like the beginning of a new era with an explosion of 24/7 updates and a quantum leap forward in model accuracy.

I’ll always remember what the GFDL did with Katrina over Florida. And before too long that model went into the dumpster. We’ve come a long way…that’s for sure…but we can’t take any forecast for granted.
Cpv17

jasons2k wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm Hot one today…
Is it so much hotter in your area compared to mine because of all the concrete around you? Urban vs rural…
captainbarbossa19

Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm
Is it so much hotter in your area compared to mine because of all the concrete around you? Urban vs rural…
Yeah I was only 92 today.
captainbarbossa19

jasons2k wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:53 pm
captainbarbossa19 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:14 pm 12z Euro is a bit wetter than the past few runs. Looks like some possible disturbances towards the end of next week. A bit far out, but I am not surprised to see a shift back towards a slightly wetter pattern. When you get storms late in spring heading towards summer in our area, it is less likely that ridging will be dominant through the whole summer. 2010 and 2011 did not feature much rain in May. We know what happened those summers. I was looking at rainfall data from years past, and for my area, it looks like this year is a lot like 2005. Of course, I am not suggesting that what will happen later will be like 2005, but there are a lot of similarities including an unusual long period of above-normal temperatures in May that year.
There are a number of analogs to 2005 for hurricane season as well. Folks need to be prepared.

I can’t believe it’s been 17 years. That’s the year we moved here (the third time for me) and we had Rita and the evacuation right after Katrina. That season set a new bar and yet we have had a few more seasons now that were close.

A number of things stick out from that season (and 2004 also). The forums were so busy. And while we had access to all sorts of things on the internet in prior seasons, 2004-2005 seemed like the beginning of a new era with an explosion of 24/7 updates and a quantum leap forward in model accuracy.

I’ll always remember what the GFDL did with Katrina over Florida. And before too long that model went into the dumpster. We’ve come a long way…that’s for sure…but we can’t take any forecast for granted.
I hear you. I remember seeing the cone heading towards my area for Rita and thinking it was strong, but Laura in 2020 scared me more honestly. I really thought that storm was going to be a direct hit around High Island until it turned and hit around Cameron.
jasons2k

Cpv17 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:15 pm
I believe so, yes. My station is also wedged between two houses. Still, the readings around me are very similar.!
Cromagnum

Returned to this hell after a few days in Michigan. If it weren't for the equally cold days during the winter in the north, I would totally move. Maybe I need to have two homes.
tireman4
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I can attest to how hot it was. Had to officiate an outdoor swim meet from 8 30 am to 1 30 pm
DoctorMu

97 in Cll today. 95 yesterday. DP in the 60s during the day.

We’re up in Minnesota’s. 70s and 80s for highs Rains have been early am and the clearing,
Stratton20

This board will likely be quiet for a while, weather pattern looks really hot and really boring ahead
captainbarbossa19

Looks like it's about to get a lot more humid. The Euro is showing lows near 80 next week. On the bright side, there are a few isolated showers today.
jasons2k

My low this morning was 79.5.
The run was very humid.
TexasBreeze

The little showers moving into the area the past couple days makes things better than nothing at all to track. Typical late May streamer showers with hopefully more the next couple days.
djmike

June thread. Happy Hurricane Season. Hopefully no one sees anything too drastic this year. Hoping for a quiet season
Mike
Beaumont, TX
(IH-10 & College Street)
  • Information